Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whitecaps Roster and Roster Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Berg will scold me for posting in this thread but so be it...

Has anyone seen a Portland game on tv? I have seen 2 games on tv from Jeld-wen Field, including the game the other night versus Seattle. Portland has the best fans in the MLS hands down. The atmosphere is electric for 90 minutes...this has definitely been highly organized by either the supporters, the club, or some combination of both. You can see entire sections are lead by individuals facing the crowd at the bottom of the section. Everyone knows all the words to all the songs and no one is sitting down. First class. I will be going to Portland on August 20th for the Whitecap game...it should be a brilliant time.

:cool:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The signing might be a good one. Let's give them credit where it's due in as far as not spending the money and DP designation on some former Euro allstar well past his best before date looking for an ego stroke. That's 2 DP strikers signed from overseas and decent to good leagues for guys still in their 20's that have a record of goal scoring.

The trouble still remains for me, that they have a lack of quality in the centre of the park, and nobody to get Mustapha and Rico the ball.

The window hasn't closed and they still have an open roster spot IIRC. therefore I really hope they aren't "done" and add a centre mid, if they could release another plug like say Blake Wagner, they could also add some help in central defense.

redwoods

Oct 1, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The signing might be a good one. Let's give them credit where it's due in as far as not spending the money and DP designation on some former Euro allstar well past his best before date looking for an ego stroke. That's 2 DP strikers signed from overseas and decent to good leagues for guys still in their 20's that have a record of goal scoring.

The trouble still remains for me, that they have a lack of quality in the centre of the park, and nobody to get Mustapha and Rico the ball.

The window hasn't closed and they still have an open roster spot IIRC. therefore I really hope they aren't "done" and add a centre mid, if they could release another plug like say Blake Wagner, they could also add some help in central defense.

I agree, I like the signing in the sense that it is a young player who has some pedigree on paper and might fit in well here over the next few years. I also find it hard to believe that a few more releases are not in the cards...Wagner, Janicki and Tan?? They must see the hole in the middle of the park and with Dunfield getting less and less time, are looking to find the player/s to fill it. Unless they feel Thorrington will make a huge difference coming back?

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree, I like the signing in the sense that it is a young player who has some pedigree on paper and might fit in well here over the next few years. I also find it hard to believe that a few more releases are not in the cards...Wagner, Janicki and Tan?? They must see the hole in the middle of the park and with Dunfield getting less and less time, are looking to find the player/s to fill it. Unless they feel Thorrington will make a huge difference coming back?

Well Thorrington couldn't be any worse than Dunfield, but can he stay healthy? You'd have to assume that with another striker signed that Tan is gone.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why do I have the feeling that if this "major announcement" doesn't pan out that you yobbos will be referring to him as "Jarju Binks?":rolleyes:

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Berg will scold me for posting in this thread but so be it...

Has anyone seen a Portland game on tv? I have seen 2 games on tv from Jeld-wen Field, including the game the other night versus Seattle. Portland has the best fans in the MLS hands down. The atmosphere is electric for 90 minutes...this has definitely been highly organized by either the supporters, the club, or some combination of both. You can see entire sections are lead by individuals facing the crowd at the bottom of the section. Everyone knows all the words to all the songs and no one is sitting down. First class. I will be going to Portland on August 20th for the Whitecap game...it should be a brilliant time.

:cool:

Consider this your absolute final warning...

But truly, the Portland fans and Seattle fans really have it good. Their club embraces them and they don't get told to sit down, shut up, stop drinking, etc...The more I go to these Caps games the less I want to go back next year. They (Whitechaps peoples) tell our drummers to go sit somewhere else, the 25 piece band to "keep it down" ... FFS this isn't figure skating or ballet. God damn Nofuncouver, bastion of limp fans (in ALL sports). We could have a stadium that rocks but no, instead it's like a scene out of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest when they all get riled up and that b1tch nurse then tells them all to shut up...She got choked out, maybe we should do the same to the stadium stewards...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keep in mind that Alex Morfaw also hasn't seen any real first team duty as of yet as he is coming off of a broken arm/wrist injury that was pretty bad in pre season...

He has pedigree also, captaining the Cameroon youth sides that had Alex Song and Bassong on them. Injury has really hampered his career, hopefully he can do some work once fully fit: They are paying him quite a bit of cash to play in the PDL...

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm willing to wait and see how Jarju pans out, in fact looking forward to seeing him in the line up.. seems like he might be a piece to the puzzle.

I also agree they need to get the middle of the park sorted out...the midfield has been absolute tragic with keeping possession and controlling games thus far.

Yes let's get rid of some of the plumbers in the lineup (wagner, janiki, knight, selinas) but is it only me or is Tommy Boy going with amore and more USA/International lineup and our Canadians being pushed to the side.

I think young R Tiebert has played much better than all the other outside midfield Tommy has tried out there. as a matter of fact while i'm on this rant can't the whitecaps and Toronto find good Canadian talent to play in the lineup instead of developing all theseUS players?????

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think one thing a lot of people need to understand is that the MLS is not a development/developmental league.

It's a domestic league that was foisted upon the USSF by FIFA for hosting the 94 World Cup. It started off life as a developmental league for the US MNT.. but really any 16/17/18 year old Canadian/American kids that are going to "make it" will go overseas to proper football academies (ie Hargreaves to FC Bayern etc)

This league is essentially just a mixture of former/aging European stars on a DP payday, Good or decent South American players to escape their domestic leagues that are rife with economic trouble or funny accounting practices, former Euro League stars that are either from North America or have NA roots, and a place for the NCAA to graduate players to for a few years before they go on with life after a 5-6 average year football career.

It's more about North American sports enterprise and making a buck or two off of the backs of the real football we watch from England, Spain, Italy and Germany.

The American national team has only 6 current national team players from MLS of their current roster of 23. Notably Landon Donovan who was really developed overseas and couldn't hack it over there in Germany. The other 4 haven't had a sniff overseas...and they're depth guys for their MNT.
Canada has 5.5 (the .5 being Gerba at Montreal as theuy will be MLS next year) of 23. Of the Canadians, only Haineualt hasn't played in Europe or was "developed" in Europe...De Roasario had a cup of Coffee playing in Germany.

The extent of "development" will be through their own academies and via the NCAA draft... and really what are they developing? Kids that weren't/aren't good enough to make it abroad, so essentially you are talking about guys that will never be more than 5.0 if you have a scale from 1-10, 1 being some average amateur league Premier Division player and 10 being Leo Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
As a paying customer I would like to see te best players available playing and I could care less about the nationality at this point. If Candians are good enough to make the starting 11 then great but if the best Canadian we have is Dunfield I would rather watch Americians and Internationals. It is the 5 and 6 year olds that are getting a chance to watch soccer as a professional sport (okay semi pro) that hopefully see it as someting worth shooting for. They may be the difference for Canadian soccer 15-20 years from now not the 20 something that never made it anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0