Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL Masters - NCSL Eligibility for VMSL Open

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was wondering if anyone could provide some clarity about player eligibility of Masters players for playing with affiliated or non-affiliated teams. My understanding is that VMSL Masters players can play for VMSL open teams.

1. Does this only work for under VMSL CAT affliation rules or is it more like bringing up a youth player?
2. Are there any provincial level regulations, allowances for players signed with Masters teams to play on Mens Open teams in the same season?
3. Are there any NCSL players teams that have any experience with the above scenario?

Thx.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Backfat:

In the VMSL, Masters' players can only play for teams in the same club using the CAT system. Same setup as per the rest of the CAT system, but with a minor difference: the player must be 35 or older. Normally, each Masters' team is allowed to carry 3 players aged 31-34, but they aren't eligible to CAT downward. Clear like mud?

Also, there are a couple of clubs with more than one Masters' team, some of whom are using the CAT system to move players between Masters' aged teams. However, just like the open-age CAT system, you are cup-tied to the team that you are signed with.

If you are playing for a Masters' team and an unaffiliated open age team, it's crucifixion for you (and the teams that have signed you). Basically, it's the same situation as if you are playing for teams in more than one BCSA-sanctioned league: playing an illegal player.

Right now, there are just over half the teams in the Masters' division using the CAT system. The rest are independent teams, some of whom are looking for open-aged teams or clubs to affiliate with. How do you tell who's who? Different-coloured ID cards. Masters' teams using the CAT system have orange ID cards; independent teams have grey cards.

For the answer to your 3rd question, you'd have to ask either CSide17 or Lupoman.

Trece

cside17

Better Bastard
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bonefish.

NSCL teams/players are not eligible to play in VMSL in any way. Total stand alone league, as is the FVSL. Some teams talk about moving over, mine included.
But the lure of never having to leave the North Shore keeps my team here! Of course this does hurt us as a league when it comes to BC's, as VMSl, and FVSl are much more competitive leagues!

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trece maybe I am repeating what you already said, but I did not totally understand your post 100%.

Anyway, BF, a VMSL Master's team can sign up to 3 players aged 31-34. They can CAT any player 35 or older from their same club. Any Masters player (this is where I may differ from Trece) can CAT to the open team, this includes under 35 guys, but it does not work the other way around (to play for the Masters team while signed with the open team the player must be 35 or older). Players have to commit/sign for one team by Jan 15, and this cup ties them for the BCs, and for Imperial/Masters Cups.

Does that sound right Trece?

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good info Sir M/Trece. It is difficult trying to sort out the team/club when we have our Masters team playing in a different league. There are no easy answers here given that we have a core that would prefer to stay together but attrition on the numbers forcing us to make some decisions on which path to take.

jungleboy

Jun 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Azzi should be able to provide an electronic copy of the league constitution, bylaws and regulations. Not sure why the webmaster hasn't provide a hyperlink to them. Other leagues like FVSL has it on there website.

on a side note, all the league soccer webpages need to hire new web designers. TTP puts there pages too shame.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Azzi should be able to provide an electronic copy of the league constitution, bylaws and regulations. Not sure why the webmaster hasn't provide a hyperlink to them. Other leagues like FVSL has it on there website.

You haven't been around much have you.

jungleboy

Jun 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
my bad. Azzi probably doesn't know what a computer is unless it hit him.

as for the age rule, master's and youth has a guideline under BCSA constituion regarding age. So in the Master's, a player must attain the age of 35 by January 1 of that season. So the up coming season, those born after December 31, 1972 can't play. Of course 3 players are exempt from this rule and can be between 31 and 34.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
There are no easy answers here given that we have a core that would prefer to stay together but attrition on the numbers forcing us to make some decisions on which path to take.

The answer to your dilemma seems obvious Bonefish.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0