Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [VMSL DIV 2] Predictions, Results and Banter 2014/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer8

Jan 19, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guildford look really good this year...suprised the strikers arent doing better...greencaps have a strong backline and score goals...gastown are a good side i see they play south delta on thursday night at 9pm in delta thats an awkward time they play there home games....should be a close game...snipers started very slow but look to have found some form...

ryansd87

Sep 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Greencaps have never been beaten in VMSL competition. Don't be surprised if they do a third straight campaign without a loss.

So, the first game after your prediction, and the Greencaps lose. Does that mean we can lay the blame entirely at your door... whoever you are?

DAZ82

Oct 18, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yep - deservedly beaten by what seems to be our bogey team !
Great game against south delta yesterday - although it has to be said the quality of the referee was shocking ! We had a perfectly gud goal disallowed and to make it worse the player got booked ! He was absolutely awful for both sides and has a shite attitude to go with it !!!!

LessThanABuck

Nov 16, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
The midway point has passed and nobody is safe in their current position in the top half of 2B.

Greencaps have been been the most steady squad but the young Snipers could be the team to beat, down the stretch. Gastown in a comparitive freefall averaging 1 point per week over the last month. South Delta's season will come down to a 3 week stretch that sees them go against Snipers, Gastown and Greencaps in the final month. Will also drastically effect all others contending for promotion.

Should be fun to watch from afar with crucial matches slated every week.

ryansd87

Sep 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Greencaps will be without their star French forward Remy Brunet from now on... Hopefully someone else can step up to the plate and fill his boots - but anyone who's seen him play will agree that they are substantial boots to fill.

He's got a record of 75 goals in 85 games for the Greencaps - absolutely smashing the previous goalscoring record set by Paul Ryan.

Stringer

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Greencaps will be without their star French forward Remy Brunet from now on... Hopefully someone else can step up to the plate and fill his boots - but anyone who's seen him play will agree that they are substantial boots to fill.

He's got a record of 75 goals in 85 games for the Greencaps - absolutely smashing the previous goalscoring record set by Paul Ryan.

Is it due to injury or did he transfer somewhere else??

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Greencaps have really shat the bed since DAZ82's prophecy of going undefeated.... but the real Peptol Bismol Upset of the Week is NVFC Lions A 4-2 Snipers FC A. At this point it looks like any of the top 4 could have a chance at the title in 2B, with perhaps Greencaps at 5 pts back and losing their star striker being the bookie's longest shot.

Over in 2A, Guildford are still running away with it. While their offense has slowed down a bit, they have racked up an impressive 6 consecutive clean sheets! As for the race for 2nd place, Lomas almost shite the bed with a late strike lifting them to a 1-0 victory over the lowly Cosmos. However, their first game back in the new year will be against Guildford, so it's a good opportunity for Rino's and Van Utd to close the gap.

Hope everyone enjoys the holidays and comes back festively plump in the new year :)

ryansd87

Sep 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is it due to injury or did he transfer somewhere else??

Went back to France; I think it was simply a case of his visa expiring. Apparently playing for the Greencaps doesn't qualify you for an exceptional athlete work permit. Crazy, I know.

With the latest systems around IEC visas, which is where the majority of our pool of players comes from, it might be a while before there's any real recruitment too. Most of the Div2 calibre players are already playing, so tapping the newcomers pool has always served us well.

That said, at the start of the season I think most of the guys would have been content with a mid-table finish, with an outside challenge for the title.

Plus I think a little reality check was required.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like Greencaps stopped the rot last night... just barely.

As for things in 2A. I took in the first half of Guildford's shellacking of Meralomas. Guildford are simply on another level this year, and that shout made here for them to go undefeated way back in September is seeming prophetic.

Anyway, our match with the Strikers... A fairly evenly played match over the course of which it was clear that people hadn't played for a few weeks. The first half mostly resembled a ping pong match, with little build up play on either side. The ref missed a pk call in our favour on a blatant push in the box in first 10 minutes. Strikers eventually took the lead on a header off a corner as their player came from the backside pretty much unmarked and made great contact, off the crossbar and in. Just a few minutes after that we tied it up on our own corner. The initial header from the near top of the box was helped on by a spinning volley which looped over the keeper and in. Both teams had chances over the remainder, but neither could find a winner, and it ended 1-1.

The real story though was the blatant cheating of the Strikers who played a Div 1 registered player on his twin brother's card. I'm not sure if it's a regular occurrence, or a one off where the twin who's actually signed to this team was just away for this game, but either way it's something to watch out for.

DAZ82

Oct 18, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes I'm to blame for the greencaps slide in recent weeks after my previous post - although it was merely a hopeful statement aiming to get a bit of banter going !
We've lost a lot of players since the summer for different reasons ( visas , emigration and girlfriends ). For the past few weeks players have been playing out of position which has weakened us considerably. A few old faces are coming back to us for the remaining games but I fear visa issues could see a major clear out in the summer ! It's been a successful few yrs but I think a Louis van gaal may be needed in the summer :))

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's a great battle happening in 2B for promotion. 4 really good Div.2 teams....can they compete in Div.1 tho?
The runaway leaders usually fair better the next season. I'm glad to see a competitive div2 tho!

Relegation question: is it 3 down this year?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Considering Gastown got relegated from Div 1, and have an arguably weaker team this year (they lost goalkeeping legend Jack Whelan), you'd have to assume none of these teams stand much of a chance in Div 1.

And yes, it's 3 teams relegated from D2 this year.

jackrwhelan

Oct 15, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Far too kind! I miss the league, glad GFC are doing well in my absence. Our backup was always more talented than I.

soccer8

Jan 19, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would have to agree dont think any of these teams will survive div 1 unless you bring in 4 or 5 good signings.romainia and harps struggling they would probably prefer to be in div 2 competing.it must be very demorilising to get thumped every week

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
What do you guys think about this...
3 teams get demoted, which makes sense. But on the off chance a div.3 team wins the Div.2 cup, maybe that team should get promoted too making it 4 down and 4 up. It would make winning the cup something of value. However, if the Div.3 team that wins the cup is a group leader, then it defaults to the regular 3 teams get promoted/demoted.

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure I agree that 'it makes sense' to have 3 teams demoted from Div. 2. With 30 teams in Div. 3 and looking at the Div. 2 standings, I'd say it makes a lot more sense to simply have the bottom two teams in each of the Div. 2 groups go down, and then have 4 teams from Div. 3 go up. Simple, and it doesn't require any playoffs for the third relegation spot in Div. 2. Why the league didn't decide this last year is a complete mystery in my view. More movement leads to less complacency and better play overall, especially for upward striving programs who have to start in Div. 3. I'm not making this point because I think our team is good enough to go up. We've got a bunch of under 20 year olds on Bowen Is. FC and always struggle with numbers due to our small player pool. Another year in Div. 3 will be good for us, but I have no doubt that there are at least 4 or 5 other Div. 3 teams who could be reasonably competitive in Div. 2 next year: Squamish and Astros for sure. You'd probably need to have a play off between 6 or 7 other teams to accurately determine who #s 3 and 4 are.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure I agree that 'it makes sense' to have 3 teams demoted from Div. 2. With 30 teams in Div. 3 and looking at the Div. 2 standings, I'd say it makes a lot more sense to simply have the bottom two teams in each of the Div. 2 groups go down, and then have 4 teams from Div. 3 go up. Simple, and it doesn't require any playoffs for the third relegation spot in Div. 2.

Except it requires a more difficult 3-way playoff of 2nd place Div 3 teams!

Why the league didn't decide this last year is a complete mystery in my view. More movement leads to less complacency and better play overall, especially for upward striving programs who have to start in Div. 3. I'm not making this point because I think our team is good enough to go up. We've got a bunch of under 20 year olds on Bowen Is. FC and always struggle with numbers due to our small player pool. Another year in Div. 3 will be good for us, but I have no doubt that there are at least 4 or 5 other Div. 3 teams who could be reasonably competitive in Div. 2 next year: Squamish and Astros for sure. You'd probably need to have a play off between 6 or 7 other teams to accurately determine who #s 3 and 4 are.

While there seem to be several Div 3 teams that could "compete" in Div 2 this year, keep in mind that it may just be a one year phenomenon. A number of those teams are new to the league -- America, West Coast Celts, etc. and new entries will not necessarily be that strong every year. Also it seems every year there is a team somewhere in the league in Div 2 (or higher) that folds or merges opening up a spot for an extra team to move up -- the team that took that opportunity last year? Cosmos. And look at how they're fairing in Div 2. So I'd say give the current system a year or two, and then re-evaluate.

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dezza I take the point, but I don't think Cosmos are a good example. They lost 1-3 to a brand new, and quite mediocre Boners team early in the season last year and, frankly, were lucky to win 2-1 on an 89th minute goal, against the run of play, when they played us a second time. They were also a team that was very dependent on a single outstanding player (who left to go play with West Coast Celts this year) and they don't appear to have had much luck replacing him. In our Div. 3 group last year, Astros were better than Cosmos and if any 'extra" team should have gone up it was them. I mean, really, Cosmos have some decent players but they were a 4th place Div. 3 team... albeit in a Div. 3 group C that included 3 strong sides: Greencaps, Snipers and Astros. But, they were a poor bet for Div. 2 from the outset. I still think it just make sense to have 4 come down and 4 go up.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love Cup season, even if I'm not apart of it.
From the Excellent site...upsets?!
Cobras 1-0 winners over Meraloma.
Twin Arrows over Delta Royals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0