Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL Div 1] Predictions, Results & Banter 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am not sure where this rumor is coming from. The real news is that CCB and Guildford Fc merged the adult program. All of CCB adult teams are now called CCB Guildford FC. I was at Newton today and from what I see this team will be making a push for Prem.

Is @salute still coaching Guildford?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am not sure where this rumor is coming from. The real news is that CCB and Guildford Fc merged the adult program. All of CCB adult teams are now called CCB Guildford FC. I was at Newton today and from what I see this team will be making a push for Prem.

I saw this as well. Makes sense given the earlier discussion of Guilford potentially folding. CCB lost out on the whole Pacific break up in Prem last season (of course that has now gone 6 different directions with Langley/Tigers/Hurricanes all involved) and were no doubt looking to reestablish a top level adult program.

Whether or not they contend for promotion remains to be seen. Certainly last season they came out of the traps flying as the wonder kids who had been Provincial Champions at U21 and B level. They seemed like a tight group, good friends who had played together for years and had enough talent to actually be successful. It appeared they were on the rise and perhaps capable of achieving great things.

Alas, as it has so many times before, the reality of the Div 1 grind set in. The team faced serious adversity for possibly the first time in it's existence and could not cope. Cracks appeared, egos were bruised and lightening escaped the bottle. By the end of the season the team looked a shadow of their former selves, no where close to promotion even if their stat line from earlier in the season artificially indicated they were in the hunt. Fractured, they were in disarray heading towards an uncertain future; enter CCB. What now will rise from these ashes? We shall soon see.

What do you guys think? Do I get the job of "SoccerCoach"? I heard there was a vacancy for existential bullsh*t artist....;)

nap

Sep 8, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I saw this as well. Makes sense given the earlier discussion of Guilford potentially folding. CCB lost out on the whole Pacific break up in Prem last season (of course that has now gone 6 different directions with Langley/Tigers/Hurricanes all involved) and were no doubt looking to reestablish a top level adult program.

Whether or not they contend for promotion remains to be seen. Certainly last season they came out of the traps flying as the wonder kids who had been Provincial Champions at U21 and B level. They seemed like a tight group, good friends who had played together for years and had enough talent to actually be successful. It appeared they were on the rise and perhaps capable of achieving great things.

Alas, as it has so many times before, the reality of the Div 1 grind set in. The team faced serious adversity for possibly the first time in it's existence and could not cope. Cracks appeared, egos were bruised and lightening escaped the bottle. By the end of the season the team looked a shadow of their former selves, no where close to promotion even if their stat line from earlier in the season artificially indicated they were in the hunt. Fractured, they were in disarray heading towards an uncertain future; enter CCB. What now will rise from these ashes? We shall soon see.

What do you guys think? Do I get the job of "SoccerCoach"? I heard there was a vacancy for existential bullsh*t artist....;)
All the group needed was experience and once everyone sees the team they field on the pitch it will be clear the experience the squad will have.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
All the group needed was experience and once everyone sees the team they field on the pitch it will be clear the experience the squad will have.

I see that you don't post here that often, so definitely welcome and please continue to banter with us, definitely not trying to cut you down at the knees.

My post was more directed towards those of us who lived through the reign of a certain former colleague (shall we say?), and less so actually about Guildford.

nap

Sep 8, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

I see that you don't post here that often, so definitely welcome and please continue to banter with us, definitely not trying to cut you down at the knees.

My post was more directed towards those of us who lived through the reign of a certain former colleague (shall we say?), and less so actually about Guildford.
That's all good but this team going to Prem

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
This idea going from League to league is crap in my opinion. Tigers did shyt all in VMSL why go to Fraser Valley Valley League. Go down and work hard things will change.
If I was in the management of VMSL any team who moves, no coming back for ten years. Gilford the same go down to div two and have fun weekend soccer is nothing more. As you can see most Canadian kids sit on the benches and watch non Canadians play and get better pay in MLS.
Kick the bastardos out and start again. Kid must play in HPL, to try for national program go figure it out what kind of biggets rule the rust.
We need to go back to BC Nation League where players stick around and get developed. Five leagues and only 60 good players for Premier level. What the hack do you have premier soccer in BC. One League for all premier clubs. No knock out each year youth plays in club system, moves up when they get developed.
Stop killing development of soccer in BC.
Welcome back you were missed last season
We had a Buffoon on here giving everyone a headache
You are a breath of fresh air
For your info Rino's Tigers have no connection to Bc Tigers from Surrey

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Player injuries on our teams that played
Each other studs up and other stupid stuff
We might get more cards this season
Playing other Rino teams
Even cat played hard
Every team has something to prove
Who will be top who will be best coach

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mess at VMSl office today teams that had downloaded on line that only came with cards have been sent away every day
Even though on email said form or scanned in ok
To bring copies of forms
Great way to piss off all the team managers and coaches that have put in a lot of work
Azzi does not understand on line registration and should have been replaced
Very hard to deal with
Vmsl office needs a computer
With Internet connection

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude, come on...
Is not a Haiku supposed to be in three lines with 17 syllabus (5-7-5), a seasonal reference and juxtaposed ideas or argents?
Like:
My heart beats and burns,
My restless soul craves and yearns
Through endless dreams I turn.
or
Cam-po won the cups;
Ri-nos was quite up-set
Win-ter brings them back

Now seriously guys. I wish all the best to all the teams. This time I am here in peace. I have reformed. No more instigations and controversial match reports.
It will a difficult season for us.
I predict that the animals (Tigers and Lions) will get promoted. In my opinion, Rinos-Tigers and Norvan-Lions are the favourites.
As for relegation. This is going to be difficult to predict. In theory, we are the weakest. I hope we survive.

Rino's Fury A 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Binger's Army 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Rino's Tigers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Rino's Vanc SC 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Campo Atletico A 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
South Delta Royals 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
FC Romania A 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
GN Sporting Club 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
NVFC Norvan Lions A 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
CCB Guidlford FC A 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Akal FC 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Metropolitan A 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mess at VMSl office today teams that had downloaded on line that only came with cards have been sent away every day
Even though on email said form or scanned in ok
To bring copies of forms
Great way to piss off all the team managers and coaches that have put in a lot of work
Azzi does not understand on line registration and should have been replaced
Very hard to deal with
Vmsl office needs a computer
With Internet connection

Rumour has it that such a computer actually exists. How else do you think the old guys play solitaire and minesweeper?

You definitely did manage to get on somebody's worse side yesterday...

Received last night from Somebody Who Represents The League:
NB - it has been noted that William Azzi has not been accepting uploaded registration confirmations at the league office. This has been sorted out. If you want to register using uploaded confirmations vs printing them out, please do so. If you are able to provide hardcopy confirmations, please do so as this will reduce the friction at the office. Thank you for your patience through this transition.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rumour has it that such a computer actually exists. How else do you think the old guys play solitaire and minesweeper?

You definitely did manage to get on somebody's worse side yesterday...

Received last night from Somebody Who Represents The League:
Azzi has been turning managers away
For days many guys have to come back second time
I also got the email from our new president and returned at 11.20 am same day
Azzi accepted my cards with no forms
He does not want to understand the concept of online registration
That it is on Vmsl server and if he logged like we all did he would see
The signatures for each player
This is beyond his capability
So the board needs a league Adminster
Now with intertnet at the office
I do not appreciate
Being told the F off and he is right
I have put my complaint in to the board on his very bad behaviour
This grounds for dismissal as I have a room full of witnesses including you

Farquea

Jan 14, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
More fun and games this morning after I turned up without any printed registration forms and thought he was joking when he said they needed printed copies. in the end i just left them there for Catliff to pickup and deal with as he said he would.

Overheard the Snipers FC guy come in while i was in the back room and he had used the player reg forms from previous years and while you'd expect him to be told off for not following the 50 odd emails with clear instructions on how to register this year, Azzi was overjoyed and pretty much congratulated him when he saw ole faithful produced from a folder. Craziness, now to see if we actually get given any cards on time for Friday....

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sounds like a sh*t show. Azzi should have been removed, or at the very least not left in charge of registration. All he does is create fires for Catliff to put out.

But he was up for reelection at this past year's AGM and not a single soul offered to oppose him. So really, at the end of this, we only have ourselves to blame.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
To get back on topic: Given how "well received" they were during cup season, I am going to issue my Completely Baseless Predictions for the season's final table. I'm not going to bother with Div 2 or 3 because 1) I REALLY don't no shite all about them, 2) There's way too many teams and groups and 3) Does Div 2 and 3 really matter? I mean Div 1 is kind of pushing it :D

Again, as usual, I am just pulling this out of my ass, so try not to take it too seriously (looking at you @nap ;))

So here goes:

1) Rinos Tigers
These kids had a helluva lot to learn, but after being the first team to go win less in the history of VMSL Premier they hit the books hard. The group rebounded by just about parading through the RRSL Div 1 Summer League and while no one is saying that summer league is in any way an indication of a team's strengths, they did match up against sides that they will be seeing in one form or another in the winter and they saw them off with conviction. I expect a year's playing experience, plus some success, combined with playing in a lower division should be enough so long as the group has their own internal ambitions pushing from within. Oh and of course all the "Saudi Money" and "Internal Collusion" :rolleyes:

2) NorVan Lions
This spot is really up for grabs IMO. As far as I know NorVan's A program has undergone a full back room overhaul, but what of the players? Have they been able to keep their core mostly in one piece? Is there a desire to atone for getting the club relegated? I'm not convinced they have enough to bounce back up, but I am less convinced that there is a true challenger for the spot in the division. I would not be shocked to see NorVan mired in Div 1 for a time, but in the absence of an overwhelming favourite to challenge for second, I am tempted to default to the recently relegated team.

3) CCB Guilford
A great debut season for a powerhouse Div 2 team fizzled out down the stretch in the second half of the season. Div 1 is a grind with zero margin for error and in the end it proved too much. Now a make over, a merger and rumors of high profile exits to Premier teams. This team will be competitive, but with all the turn over are there enough parts remaining to be able to draw on last season's experiences? I'm not convinced. If there does exist enough of the core to build on that first campaign then I think there is every chance this team can pip NorVan for second. However, I am more inclined to think that THIS year will act as a foundation for a strong promotion push NEXT season.

4) South Delta
Quietly had a strong consolidation campaign last season after coming up from Div 2. Nobody is talking about these guys, but they have some half decent players and definitely a strong cooler camaraderie. These guys have grown up playing together and built a good little club out in Tsawwassen. Now the fruits of their labour are coming good and this would appear to be their "golden generation." The problem with SD is usually discipline. Suspensions piled up and hurt them during the back half of last season, so we'll see if they have learned to reel it in at all. I would be truly stunned if it was good enough to have them in the Premier conversation, but no reason to think these guys are going to take a step backwards.

5) Campo Athletico
OK yes, you can be underdogs, but can we please be realistic with the rhetoric? Despite not earning promotion via winning the league, Campo won the League Cup and Provincial Cup at the Div 2 level. These guys have proven they can play and that their players have enough talent to score goals in big games. The organization, tactics, desire and even the "coaching" of this team will help them pick up points all season. They could easily finish in 3rd or 4th. So yes "underdogs", but promotion underdogs, not relegation underdogs.

6) Metropolitan
A dismal season last year saw Students just the right side of the relegation line, but here's banking that was an aberration. The guys at Metro have worked hard into building that club into a VMSL mainstay and it appears to be gaining traction. Rumors their one or two superstars have finally left for Premier teams, but these guys seem focused on building a club mentality and tapping into the old "whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" mantra. Nothing attractive about their game style, but they're tough defensively and can score on set pieces (aka they are built for Div 1). I am predicting a bounce back season as Students begin to look up the table in coming years, rather than down it.

7) Bingers Army
The VMSL Div 1 poster boys for what seems like a century. Another year older with no natural youth links means chances are the back half of the season will be a grind as always for the Army. These guys are great lads and a dying breed; guys who are just in it to see their mates on the weekend, play footy and have a pint. Veterans that will take points off at least one of the promotion candidates at some point; Bingers are the prototypical Div 1 spoilers. Doubt they will have the same sort of dream first half that saw them top the table until Christmas last year, but I would be shocked to see them in a relegation battle.

8) Rinos Fury
A tight group willing to go to the mat for each other all season. These lads have fought hard to earn the right to play at this level and look for this fixture to be a tough one for every team week in and week out. Div 1 will definitely be a class above what they are used to so expect tough slogging all season. That being said I back these guys to have enough heart, grit and determination to find the points they need to stay in the division.

9) Rinos Vancouver SC
The forgotten child. Like the oldest kid when two divorcees get married; with a younger step brother who kicks and claws for all the attention and now a new baby who is the formation of a new family, the eldest child is left to figure out life essentially alone. OK, so maybe that metaphor is a bit of a stretch, but my point is these guys finished 8th last season, only won 6 games and were right on the threshold of being dragged into a relegation battle. I don't know where they would have recruited players from, with the Tigers surely attracting anyone with Premier ambitions and the Fury guys being their own distinct brotherhood. I say these guys are prime relegation candidates, but I'll bank on them having just enough to pull it out of the fire.

10) Akal
Finished 9th last season, not sure there is any reason to expect a drastic improvement for this campaign. If they can continue to have one or two star quality players who can win them close games they should find enough points to stay in the division. I expect them to be right in the relegation mix all season long however.

11) GN Sporting
Total wild card here. If getting back to Div 1 tempts back some of the best players from their community then they could easily finish comfortably out of relegation. If they come up with the same team that squeeked out a Div 2 Championship when Campo slipped up, then I see them battling their local rivals Akal to the bitter end for the last spot in the division. Glad to see the Akal/GN derby is back on the menu this season though, always good.

12) Romania

Finished 7th last season with 22 points, but 7 of those points came in their final 3 games of the season thanks to two abandonments and a make up half game against Guilford that I'm not sure even got played. Without those 7 points they finish on 15 and are dead last. They are old and don't seem to have any organization, ambition or direction. No idea where they would have recruited from. Again I don't know that for sure, perhaps they have been reinvented after last season, but if not, I don't see them lasting in Div 1.

Last season was truly a remarkable Division 1 campaign. It would be incredible to see a repeat of that level of intensity at the top of the table and I think it's unrealistic to expect it. If we could get 60%-70% of that kind of drama though, it should be a very entertaining year!

Stay tuned for my Completely Baseless Predictions for Premier (I know you're all on the edges of your seats...). Those are coming latter this week...assuming I have time and nothing better to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0