Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

U8 Performance

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone been involved with the U8 performance league yet? We will be joining come September and are really looking forward to seeing the talent in other clubs and getting onto some larger fields and nets.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can someone explain to me how this is being offered at U8 by Clubs holding National Licenses when it is the antithesis of Canada Soccer's LTPD plan?

I agree that there's a lack of competitiveness for too long in the current landscape (I believe it's no scores/standings until age 13)

However, even in my youth the tiering didn't start until 10 years old. Pooling 7 year olds into rec/competitive seems insane. Kids at that age just want to play with their friends.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can someone explain to me how this is being offered at U8 by Clubs holding National Licenses when it is the antithesis of Canada Soccer's LTPD plan?

I agree that there's a lack of competitiveness for too long in the current landscape (I believe it's no scores/standings until age 13)

However, even in my youth the tiering didn't start until 10 years old. Pooling 7 year olds into rec/competitive seems insane. Kids at that age just want to play with their friends.
It seems the U8 program has been put into a play and a performance category. Ateast within our club the difference between a lot of the kids is massive. Perhaps it has to do with only allowing 1 under age player to go up a year per team instead of a whole group? There wasn't any try out, just based on performances from sessions of the previous year. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing the talent in other clubs and have some competitive games.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
If we were coaching the coaches properly, such that we had enough of them to coach all kids at all levels, AND if we allowed movement between ages such that the quick out of the gate 7 year olds got mixed in with the not quite as quick out of the gate 8 year olds (just as a random example), then maybe, MAYBE you tier at that kind of age.

But... there had better be lots of movement back and forth contemplated, because the idea that what we're identifying at u8 rep is "talent" is an absolute joke - we're identify earlier developers and/or kids who were given a ball to dribble before they were given baby formula. The idea that the "talent" at u8 is in any way predictive of which kids will end up top of the head is just rubbish.

We don't have that level of infrastructure in our game, at least not yet. Tier at u8 and you'll lose a ton of the kids that didn't get the coveted tattoo. Almost none of those u8 stars will end up being top of heap at the end. The kids that would have long since left to go play hockey, or basketball, or anything else... meanwhile we all scratch our heads and wonder why our youth system can't produce any "talent".

Somebody make it stop.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I certainly understand your point. From the discussions we've had with our TD, the club has around 12-15 fairly "talented" players, which stood well above everyone else. It sounds like they want to evenly split those kids into 3 teams and then have other kids who are close to that level, filling the rest of those spots in. They've said that next season the club, along with Port Moody, Mission, Albion and 1 other club I believe will have a performance division. I'm certainly not the expert, nor do I know what would be most beneficial for growing all the talent for the long run. It seems in practices and the weekend intersquad games, a lot of the kids want to stick to their skill level and don't really have the interest in challenging the higher caliber players. As a dad and a new coach, I'm certainly excited to see better players, play against each other but I am definitely green in terms of development and the best way to ensure a better future for all levels of the youth game.

Michael

Jan 25, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
U8 Soccer was 7 years ago for us and it was also right around that time my son started his passion for this sport. I would have liked the opportunity for him to play more with kids who shared the same interest and focus.

I'm not advocating for exclusion with the 'performance' label nor do I think one can determine talent at 7 years old. I do like the idea of grouping kids who genuinely like playing. Ones who would absorb sound coaching and skills development as opposed to just being introduced to the sport. The idea of banded teams (mixed ages for girls and boys together) who like playing and demonstrate similar aptitude would go a long way.

Nothing was worse than little Jorge passing to the ball to Jimmy only for him to just boot it away because he was more interested in counting grass.

I get the sentiment here though. Development isn't structured and less barriers are needed (not more). Parenting and nature of what kids have lined up for them (schedule-wise) in and out of school is different than when I grew up. Even I as an adult need to regiment where my time and effort goes throughout the day. If little Jorge is really into the [name of hobby] my expectation when I drop him off at his class/practice he is in an environment of growth of fun-challenging. And not playing down to the level of grass counting.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Even in the top level of u8 it’s a huge range of kids. Top 2-3 may already be showing some real drive. 3-4 with some natural ability but little pansies. A couple that will still drive you nuts as they are ADHD but happen to be athletic.
There is no perfect system. I understand the feeling it’s way too early. I felt the same. However I will say it gets the kids that dominate the ball away from the kids that have snot dripping down their face full time. Those kids now get a chance to touch the ball and maybe find a passion too.

It’s the parents that make this whole thing difficult.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0