Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TV names?

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay I'm looking to buy a 42 inch TV and don't know anything about them anymore? Obviously I want to get a good price as well.

What brand should I look at and where should I buy at?

moneyman

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
42" is that for the bathroom? Go big 65" plus . What is the purpose bedroom, family room. theater room. Also how big is your room that the tv is going in? Are you getting Hd?

$$$MAN

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I bought a 52" Sharp Aquos LCD panel from Costco website in the fall. Very happy with it. Delivered straight to house via UPS. Nice thing about Costco is that they double the manufacturers warranty for free. Other places you pay for the extended warranty. Just look at the tv you like at the local Costco and order online. It is cheaper.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree with Oranje on the TV choice. I've looked around for a while as I want a new one (currently a 44" DLP Toshiba, which has been fantastic) and I keep coming back to the Sharp Aquos. Sleek design and fantastic features. Splurge and get the 120 Hz version, your kids and their video games will thank you.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It will be for my family room... the room is not very big maybe 12 ft by 16 ft and has lots of light and would like HD as I have satellite already.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Try sears behind save on foods on 203rd, they had great deals on tvs. Or maybe your neighbors living room one night when they head out of town, everything is better free.

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree with Oranje on the TV choice. I've looked around for a while as I want a new one (currently a 44" DLP Toshiba, which has been fantastic) and I keep coming back to the Sharp Aquos. Sleek design and fantastic features. Splurge and get the 120 Hz version, your kids and their video games will thank you.

Yes, mine is the 120 hz special edition. Very nice teamed with Bell HD. I have the Xbox 360 HD connection and Wii connected. Sweet. My room is 14 w x 18 l and this sze does not overwhelm the room. I also picked up a nice stand for all my equipment. It came UPS too and was easy to assemble.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Or maybe your neighbors living room one night when they head out of town, everything is better free.
My neighbor across the street have a huge TV and if I lived in Surrey maybe I would steal it? I never thought to look at that Sears...I'll go there today.

bluebird

Mar 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
my first thought was why does girth want the names of some TransVestites

then i read the rest of the thread ....:p

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you are not a technophile and want good value for money, and have figured out a 42 is what you want the LG 42" 50 series (LCD) is great bang for your buck.

You will want a surround sound system though as the built in speakers in the TV Sucks Ass as they are hidden.

The TV is esthetically nice and has an excellent picture.

My $0.02

Team Canada

Mar 19, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
All depends on what you're after and what you'll be using it mostly for. It's very easy to piss away money on a TV to get certain features just because everyone else has them or because they sound good, but you'll never really get the benefits of them.

If you don't plan on watching a lot of Blu-ray movies, or doing any gaming (PS3, Xbox, whatever), save the cash and get something with 720p resolution. They're still very much HD capable, and you won't ever know the difference. And as far as the 120hz stuff, I've yet to see any comparisons that have lead me to believe that's worth the extra money as well. Not saying that there isn't a difference, but like I said, the average person will never see any noticeable difference.

Don't waste your money on the high end cables either. When you get your HDMI, RCA's, or whatever, just go to Staples or Wal Mart and get the Philips brand ones or something along those lines. Still good quality, fraction of the price.

Brand wise, Samsung 5 series are very good for the money. I picked up a 40" at Future Shop when they were having a really good sale and I'm very happy with it. The high end Sony's have an amazing picture as well if you want to spend a little more money.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't waste your money on the high end cables either. When you get your HDMI, RCA's, or whatever, just go to Staples or Wal Mart and get the Philips brand ones or something along those lines. Still good quality, fraction of the price.

Cables do make a difference, my dad couldn't figure out why his 1080p wasn't as clear as mine, he was using his HDMI cable that came in the box, mine was a high ender. That being said, they are still ridiculously overpriced, I got lucky as my aunt got everything at cost at one point so the $130 cord cost me $40. Also, if possible try to buy video game cords. The PS3 HDMI cord is like $40, but it's the exact same cord as the high end ones costing double. Video game stuff doesn't have the same mark-up (only 5% as opposed to the 40-60% for home theater accessories)

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cables do make a difference, my dad couldn't figure out why his 1080p wasn't as clear as mine, he was using his HDMI cable that came in the box, mine was a high ender.

One born every minute they say.
:rolleyes:

CNET Quick Guide: HDMI and HDMI cables: What HDMI cable should I buy? - CNET Reviews

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma Viera with Shaw HD and love it.
Of course i saved a few hundred getting it through a friend so that swayed me to Panasonic but still a great TV.

I think stay away from Sony or you'll pay extra cuz it says Sony on it.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

klewis

Nov 2, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Go with Samsung, you will regret any other brand. ;) Just go to Visions, I say visions because they have all there TV's mounted up on the wall all long the back and you can see the difference in picture in every tv, its crazy. And they have it in prices/size so you can go to where you want you want to spend/size and see the TV's.. Stand back and eliminate =)

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ended up buying a 40 inch Toshiba 1080p LCD for $747.00
The picture is fan fricken tastic!! I couldn't go any larger as the room is not big enough. I looked around alot and for me this was the best deal.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am glad this thread came back up as I missed it on it's first appearance.

I am now in the market for the same thing (size, room dimensions and purpose all very much like mine) and would appreciate any further wisdom from the TTP populace.

Historically I have LOVED every Toshiba TV that I have owned or that my father (another Toshiba lover) has owned.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Go to Visions and have a look at this TV. Awesome price! They try to upsell you the minute you tell them what you want to look at. Just tell them to fack off. You also need an HDMI cable with a DVI attachment for the video. You also need an audio cord purchased seperatly.
Sales on till september 9th

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0