Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Transsexuals in Sports.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought I’d put this here instead of in the “Other” sports section, mainly because it made the main news sections of the papers.

This month, CCA (Canadian Cycling Association) ruled that Michelle Dumaresque should be eligible for the Canadian National team to compete in the World Championships. Dumaresque is a downhill racer. Dumaresque is a transsexual, and underwent a sex change operation something like 6 years ago. Dumaresque was the 2001 Elite Women’s National DH Champion, and placed second this year to Sylvie Allen.

There has been debate as to weather or not Dumaresque should be eligible. I’m on the fence.

On one hand, Dumaresque has all the right biological parts to be technically classified as a female. Sexually, Dumaresque has a female anatomy, and has the right “parts”.

Here’s my beef: DH racing is very much a sport of strength, as much as skill. It should be argued that Dumaresque honed his skills as a male racer. Male DHers, typically, can push the physical limits of DH further, simply because we are stronger. We can push bigger gears, and manhandle the bike better. DH is not necessarily a sport of finesse, but more of brute force. Also, men have always tended to be quite a bit more daring at attempting the larger drops and “hucks” associated with downhill, and have always pushed larger limits. If a person has trained as a man, has trained at higher speeds, at a higher level of difficulty, and with a stronger physical frame, that person will no doubt have not only a physical advantage, but also a psychological advantage if he gets changed to a she.

I also feel it takes away from the accomplishments of riders like Sylvie Allen. If you ever meet Sylvie on the street, you’d probably do a double take. This is a petite girl that could step into most modeling or fitness magazines. She’s a very nice looking girl. I’ve also trained with her, and she has no doubt gotten to where she is because she continuously tries to improve technically, is very fit for the extreme anaerobic effort required for a 4-8 minute DH race, and has great pedaling speed for open sections. She trains hard. But, when it come to some of the areas of a ride where the stunts appear in a trail that normally wouldn’t appear in a race (a big drop, for example), Sylvie skips the stunt altogether. Also, in steep, Shore style DH sections with switchbacks and drops, she’ll either walk the section or take it extremely cautiously.

This isn’t a slight at Sylvie at all- she is very fast (faster than I am in most DH races), and is an elite female athlete. I just think that, considering Dumaresque’s background, she definitely has an unfair advantage. All the more props to Sylvie for beating Dumaresque this year.

Anyone have any opinions? I’m sort of on the fence here.

Dude- notcuttingoffhisboysanytimesoon.:eek:

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I have loads of opinions but, sadly, can't be fcuked to spend any time thinking about something so utterly inconsequential.

Transsexuals are people too, you know. Even those on bicycles.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
New Twist

Dude: This he/she could infiltrate the male ranks and force the men to accept a woman competitor. Hmmmm. Makes some sense. Now how would the sport handle that? Dilemma again.

Or, does this person have to do what the sport body suggests and create a whole new category of competition if he/she wants to compete. Imagine the Transexual Olympics, Transexual World Cup, etc. Guys would be lopping off their parts just to make the move.

By the way, how do you know he/she has "all the right parts"? Have a look did you?
;) :p

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
By the way, how do you know he/she has "all the right parts"? Have a look did you?

God no! I'm assuming...

Actually, I had to have her / him pointed out to me. She's big man; she'd finish you off in a round. Hell, she'd finish Jinky off in a round!

To answer you other question, the guys could give a shite...she'd / he'd barely be able to make it out of the Men's sport class, much less compete as a Pro.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As the left wing pinko I am, I would normally argue: she's a woman, let her compete with the women.

But in this case, I'm forced to make an exception. I'm no kinesiology or biophysics student, but I imagine biking has much to do with angles, levers, force and power. As such, it's not her "womanhood" that should put her into the women's division. Her skeletal frame is that of a man (unless the doctor's surgically gave her a woman's pelvic region and hips as well. She's have narrower hips and a more direct and powerful 'stride' thereby giving her an unfair advantage.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let em' ride

I say...WHO CARES??? Man...there are far more important things to worry about than what "plumbing" someone has. If she/he wants to compete with the women...let she/he compete with the women!! They'll eat she/he alive anyways...it's all good!!

thosepipesneedsomeseriouscleaning

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They'll eat she/he alive anyways...it's all good!!

That's the thing, the women haven't been "eating":rolleyes: her / him alive at all- she / he has been nearly unbeatable. In fact, I don't think she's / he's finished out of the top 2 in a few years.

How would you feel (if you were a woman- are you?) if a good-but-not-great, Premier caliber male striker got his package chopped off, and she / he came to your woman's team to take your striker position? What if it were evident that she / he held a clear enough advantage physically over you that it made the difference in she / he being chosen to the team, and you not being signed?

Just curious (no, not curious like that:rolleyes: )

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Attn Dude....

I have to agree with you there, when you put into those terms...that would suck!! Hmmmm...now I am looking at it at a whole different angle!

When it comes to soccer...we women :eek: have to ponder over if we are playing a girl or guy every game :confused:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What is the Real Issue Here

The most important thing is, How can we get a picture of this bike rider on TTP.
I will leave this mission to therob, he likes crossdressing when he goes out with knvb.

HOStimetostarttheknvbSlags

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0