Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Town Centre Turf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimm

Oct 23, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
I really hate to always hear "... the cost of maintaining a grass field..." - give me a fcuking break. How hard can it be? 2 man hours a week to cut the grass? Maybe an extra 10 hours a month on average to resod patches, put sand ontop in winter? That's 208 hours per year, hell, throw in an extra 92 hours to make it an even 300.

$50 an hour = 15000 a year.

What's a new Fieldturf install cost? A Million? And it lasts 7-10 years?

Do the math and then discuss.

:rolleyes:

Spoke with my friend who is a Parks Manager for City of Coquitlam and here are the numbers:

Grass field - 400,000 capital cost (excluding land value)
20,000/year maintenance

Turf - 1.4 million capital cost (excluding land value)
12,000/year maintenance
10 year life
6 X greater use than grass

Without doing the Net Present Value calculations :rolleyes: it seems that based on cost alone, grass is the better value for your tax payer dollars. :)

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Grimm said:
20,000/year maintenance

WTF ??!!! I'm in the wrong business ..........

Give me 5 grass fields every year and they'll look like fcuking Wembley every week :D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Land value isn't really a factor in the equation for this discussion since it is the same for both.

6 X greater use than grass. Do you think maybe that is because they don't maintain grass fields as good as they should?

Who can name the last GRASS field that was opened in the lower mainland? Cloverdale?

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Absolutely ......... that'll be the smoothest centre circle anywhere. Just another reason not to leave :D

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gurps:

Hastings is crap because it gets over-used (especially by those fat bastards from Club Inter:D). No field in this part of the world can stand up to 6 games each weekend in our kind of winter weather.

The Vancouver Parks Board's policy of leaving the thatch on the ground after they mow doesn't help the grass either...:rolleyes:

On a different note, has anybody played on the Point Grey turf yet? Westsiders? How does it play? Vancouver's next entry into the turf follies at Van Tech is scheduled to come online in October, and is supposed to use the same technology as Point Grey is.

Also back on the table is the Trillium proposal, this time with 2 fields. Knowing the NIMBYs in our fair town though, this one stands a poor chance of succeeding, even with a much less apathetic soccer community behind it. Even with a few of the Parks Board types having guilty consciences over the farce that is Andy Livingstone, there's an amazing amount of inertia on this topic in Vancouver.

BTW, last estimate I heard to rebuild Livingstone properly was about $5M...:( That would also have to take into consideration how much time it would take to excavate all the toxic crap out from underneath the turf and find a way of dealing with it.

Other ideas bounced around would include turfing just the goal areas (a la Loutet Park on the north shore)...

Trece

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
TV: Who are you calling fat? We have some fitter guys then on some teams in open. BTW: Inter hasn't played there in months....Get your facts straight.

SCK

Grimm

Oct 23, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another interesting fact divulged by my friend...

In the summer, playing on turf is approximately 4 - 8 degrees warmer than playing on grass.

Also, Kamloops has installed a new Fifa approved turf field that has a couple of massive water cannons mounted on the sides and that, when activated, can soak the field in about 20 seconds. This helps alleviate the heat during those scorching summer games - though i'm not sure why they would want to play on turf in the summer :confused:

Bill Nye

Hose

Apr 10, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only FiFa 2 Star approved field in Canada is in Toronto at the new Varsity Stadium (Polytan). RecTurf and Field Turf that is being installed in all these parks is all lower end Turf and is not FIFA Approved.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hose said:
The only FiFa 2 Star approved field in Canada is in Toronto at the new Varsity Stadium (Polytan). RecTurf and Field Turf that is being installed in all these parks is all lower end Turf and is not FIFA Approved.

Actually, Frank Clair Stadium (Sportexe) in Ottawa was the first FIFA 2-Star artificial turf venue in North America. I'm sure the FieldTurf install at BMO Field in Toronto is 2-Star approved as well, or it wouldn't be hosting the FIFA U-20 Finals.

Grimm

Oct 23, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hose...ummmm wrong.

There are 2 Fifa ratings - 1 star and 2 star. 1 star surfaces can be used for preliminary competitions such as WC qualifiers while the 2 star fields can only be used for Fifa final round competitions such as WC final round matches. The Kamloops field is 1 star certified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0