Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Town Centre Turf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was told recently by one of my wife's co-workers that Town Centre Stadium has been dug up and replaced with turf. Is this true?

I'm having trouble believing that; and I'd be pissed if it is.

Billy boy

Sep 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper said:
I was told recently by one of my wife's co-workers that Town Centre Stadium has been dug up and replaced with turf. Is this true?

I'm having trouble believing that; and I'd be pissed if it is.

Pissed it is....

"Percy Perry Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium in Coquitlam, British Columbia. It was built for the 1991 B.C. Summer Games, and seats 4000 spectators [1].

Percy Perry Stadium features a rubberized 400m running track, plus additional track and field areas such as long/triple jump pits and shotput/discus circles. In February 2007, the natural turf inside the track was replaced with FieldTurf, in order to expand the number of events and tournaments that could be held at the facility throughout the year.

Percy Perry Stadium is the home of Whitecaps FC Reserves soccer team, the Coquitlam Cheetahs track and field club, and served as the home of the defunct Tri-City Bulldogs of the Canadian Junior Football League. In addition to the B.C. Summer Games, the facility also hosted the 1993 Canadian Track and Field Championships.

Prior to 2006, the stadium had been named "Town Centre Stadium", but was renamed to "Percy Perry Stadium" in honour of long-standing track and field coach Percy Perry who died in 2005."

BB

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As Fieldturf goes it's not that bad. It's longer than most turf surfaces. And the set up is good with covered benches (with lights and plug-ins), and fenced field.

The reason for it is the cost of maintaining a grass field against the amount of use it can get. The new surface allows the stadium to be used all the time, which it wasn't even close to before, without damaging the field (which happened with football on it in the fall).

The Astroturf field is also going to be changed to Fieldturf. And there will be two more Fieldturf fields put where the northend parking lot is. Should all be done in the next few years I am told. The final complex will have four fieldturf fields and two grass fields. Coquitlam badly needs this.

Although I must admit the death of a natural grass stadium pitch is disheartening. They are becoming extinct out here on the Wet Coast.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really hate to always hear "... the cost of maintaining a grass field..." - give me a fcuking break. How hard can it be? 2 man hours a week to cut the grass? Maybe an extra 10 hours a month on average to resod patches, put sand ontop in winter? That's 208 hours per year, hell, throw in an extra 92 hours to make it an even 300.

$50 an hour = 15000 a year.

What's a new Fieldturf install cost? A Million? And it lasts 7-10 years?

Do the math and then discuss.

:rolleyes:

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
I really hate to always hear "... the cost of maintaining a grass field..." - give me a fcuking break. How hard can it be? 2 man hours a week to cut the grass? Maybe an extra 10 hours a month on average to resod patches, put sand ontop in winter? That's 208 hours per year, hell, throw in an extra 92 hours to make it an even 300.

I just wonder if the turf fields will be replaced after 7-10 years. I don't know what the cost is to replace the field but I imagine the fields will be used for more like 12-15 years. The whole burnaby complex needs to be replaced. Just shite as far as turf fields goal. I know all turf is shite. I just rather play on turf because most teams grass fields are shite.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
turf needs to be maintained as well... the blades are supposed to be brushed with a special machine once per year to stand them up again... then adding more rubber pellets that are piling up in my garage when i take off my kit.

i dont know if anyone ever does this maintenance though... at least not in delta.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
'cause Mackie Park and Holly Park both dont have change-rooms.

That and I like to give RF the occasional viewing.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
I really hate to always hear "... the cost of maintaining a grass field..." - give me a fcuking break.

Spot on TB. If more municipalities would look after their grass fields like they do at Cloverdale (best grass pitch in the VMSL hands down) and eliminate the need to put up turf fields everywhere, the world would be a better place ....... and I'd be able to get out of bed in the morning :D

Notcher

Sep 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walks said:
the world would be a better place ....... and I'd be able to get out of bed in the morning :D

i really doubt a grass pitch will help with your perpetual hangover.......

Notcher

Sep 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walks said:
:D

Are you the pot or kettle ??!!

On that note, see you Friday :D

I don't like to define myself in such black and white terms....I'm experiencing some existential angst and to label me as either/or doesnt help my cause.

That being said im not sure I'll be there friday night....I'm looking to join the reffing ranks btw....can you get me past the first stage so I'm not doing U-9 girls games?

FRANCIS

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We played there last night. Best turf we have ever played on. The blades of `grass' are longer than on other fields and you could get away with wearing 6 or 8 studs (seriously). The covered benches with lights and heaters are a nice added touch.

It is a pity that the grass had to go but a nice facility none the less.

There is also talk that a restaurant/bar with additional change rooms below may be built at the north end where the day care is located. Apparently the city has floated the idea and 3 interested parties have come forward.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
probably the same turf they put at holly elementary in ladner... great stuff at first... but without maintenance, the blades all bend over like... well... you know.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:

What about coffee breaks and extended lunches regs, better triple that cost or just ask therob what it will cost.

I think that the cities that are building these truf fields want to CUT as much staff as possible. They can do this by building these expensive turf fields that need little maintainence.

But what do they do when the 10 years have gone by the the field is start to get run down and possibly dangerous to keep playing on. Burnaby Lake turf is coming up on the 10 year mark, how long and how much does it cost to re-new the turf fields.

hos

wednesday

Jun 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
You'd think for a million bucks they could make it drain properly. MF - Firemen played their Imp Cup game in a bloody swimming pool last night. What a joke

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Really?

That's kinda surprising because I heard the pitch even has a slight crown down the middle ala Empire.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby Lake Turf is supposed to have field 4 ready for 2008 and then they will start some kind of repair job to the remaining 3 fields 1 field at a time. useing the new field as the replacement field until the job is done. They then are supposed to finnish field 5 turf.
Cost is 1.3 to build a new turf not sure what the repair numbers are.
I was just at Parks Board paying for some fields and I asked these questions. Lynda D answered them for me.
Burnaby North was supposed to be open last fall but fell a year behind with track problems around the field,,should be open by summers end.
Just some info I found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0