Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Torres 25 games!

Do you agree with the Torres suspension length?

• Total voters

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Talk about a message sent by Shanny.

Seems a bit excessive IMHO though, you?

Comical. Not even the worst hit of the playoffs. Repeat offender yes, but Keith's hit and intent was much worse. Different rules for different guys, which is why the NHL is a joke. They are so busy running a business that it clouds their judgement of protecting the players and upholding the actual rules of the game. Shea Weber big star, small market team, they give him 7 games and Nashville lose that series. They don't want to do that it's bad for business.You're telling me in the Stanley Cup final last year if Chara laid a Aaron Rome type hit on a Mason Raymond he would have got the rest of the playoffs, no fukcing way.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
figures that Canuck nation wouldnt see it accurately... dude's body of work rivals that of Cooke... Torres was every bit the headhunter last year, but no one said a peep. Reality to Vancouver - guy's scum. Good riddance to bad rubbish...

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
figures that Canuck nation wouldnt see it accurately... dude's body of work rivals that of Cooke... Torres was every bit the headhunter last year, but no one said a peep. Reality to Vancouver - guy's scum. Good riddance to bad rubbish...
Fully deserved. After all he had been suspended twice for seven games before he completed his second full season in the NHL. Oh wait that's Marchand but I agree Canuck fans can't see passed their own bias.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reality to mtkb - your Bruin-coloured glasses are making you obsessed with "Canuck nation." Who he has played for formerly is irrelevant to his suspension, as is your flawed inference that his actions were condoned by all Canuck fans while he played here. I don't give a flying fcuk that he or Matt Cooke played for the Canucks before or who they play for now; there is no consistency with how the NHL deals with suspensions, repeat offenders or not. Yes, he got what he deserved - so should anybody who deliberately head hunts like that.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hate to say it the suspension is for who he is and the timing of the offense. Sucks for him but he is no longer a Canuck so I am okay with it.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
my point wasnt that ex-Canucks should get hammered... my point was that both of them have a laundry list of vicious hits, and some of them occurred at a time when many of you failed to see them for what they were, for obvious reasons... anyone who targets the head should be treated the same...

as for marchand, he's too short to target heads, and in any event has been guilty of bending over and submarining a couple of players. cheap and dirty yes, but not in the same category as trying to render someone braindead...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fully deserved. Hossa is lucky to be alive after that piece of garbage tried to decapitate him.

That wasn't "finishing his check" that was "I'm going to kill someone"

Premeditated, Late, Left his Feet, Charging, Head shot, repeat offender times like 5 or 6...

He's lucky he has a contract for next year. He'd be lucky to be offered a 2 way after this latest incident.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
and for the first time I agree with mktb ;)

I don't totally disagree w/ it. 25 was higher than I thought, but I was thinking 15-20, so not far off.

The reasons were exactly as stated: repeat offender. Got to get headhunters and cheap shot artists like Torres and Matt Cooke out of the game.

The real test is when a star does the same thing, someone w/ history, like Ovie. Will the league have the balls to sit him for a significant period?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
NHL = No Hit league..

The hit was fine... The problem is the Europeans cant take a hit and they always leave themselves vulnerable when they admire their passes.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Inconsistent.....

It all depends who's name is on the back of the jersey.....

Repeat offender or no repeat offender a cheap head shot hit is a cheap head shot hit.....Torres hit was knowwhere close to a 25 game suspension....if that is 25 then Lucic should have had 50 for the hit on Miller, and Keith should have been 82 for the hit on Daniel.

Basically the NHL is saying you get 5 chances...Brendon S is to mickey mouse.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys, the suspension here was right. It was a drastic punishment that will cost:
a) The Yotes a top 9 forward
b) Torres himself a decent amount of his 1.75 M contract
c) Torres playing time to earn a future contract.

The other incidents not being suspended (Weber on Zetterberg) or being lightly suspended (in the case of Keith v Sedin) is the mistake.

Shanny hit the nail on the head here.

Torres made a play on the puck after Hossa released it, he left his feet, targeted the head and seriously hurt Hossa. He wasn't trying "to finish a check" he wasn't trying to "seperate the puck from the possessing player" he was out to hurt maim and injure. Full Stop.

We would hope that if it was Lucic or Weber or Keith or someone making a similar play that they would also have the book thrown at them, sadly they haven't committed the same play. This was more than a simple flagrant bad hit, it was bad on a myriad of levels from Interference, Charging, Intent to Injure, Headshot etc. He also has a track record.

Cooke's last suspension saw him learning a lesson, that leopard has changed his spots. Hopefully Torres can get back to being a north south hard working checking player. If he wants to continue to be a cheap shot artist no team will sign him and he'll have to retire early.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think we agree that the inconsistancy of the suspensions is awful, and it leaves fans players media and management scratching our heads on what to expect time in and time out, but until these suspensions start becoming super harsh (as is the case here on Torres) these incidents will continue to happen.

They should be isolated incidents, but they are happening entirely too frequently, and that Keith hit on Daniel certainly played a large role in the Nucks bowing out of the Playoffs early this year... Keith is still playing as are the Hawks. No Justice there... Now their Star player is out injured and the Yotes are missing an easier to replace player.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keith isnt a repeat offender, completely different situation...

The Lucic one is laughable... he's reasonably supposed to expect a goalie meeting him at the faceoff dot? Go away...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0