Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Bald Macedonian Referee (Rubin?)

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I feel its high time we, united as one, email and confront the league about this referee.

He began officiating in the lower mainland in late 2009 in the FVSL. After the 2009/2010 season, he was kicked out of the FVSL for his refereeing conduct.

The VMSL picked him up this year for the 2010/2011 season.

I feel he is good at judging a foul and the rules of the game, but he is absolutely atrocious in his handling of cards. From conversations I have had with other team officials, everything I have read on TTP, and my own first-hand experience this season, he issues around 9 cards a game (1 of which is usually red). Hence, he is putting a team at a disadvantage every game.

I have talked to one of the refereeing officials at BCSA regarding this, but the response I got was that the teams must adapt to the referee. Even though it is clear that the number of cards he issues is way out of proportion compared to other referees (more than double!).

Is this a players problem or a referee problem?

We all have no issues with Walks, Rene, Uppal, and many others who can keep the cards in their pocket and at the same time keep control of the game. Why can't the Macedonian referee do the same?

It has become so bad that I heard teams actually contemplating forfeiture of meaningless games if he is refereeing; just to protect players from suspensions from Imperial & Provincial cup games.

This is not about a referee's judgment of calls. I will not go there. It is about the number of ticky-tack cards he issues that is costing teams games, players playing time, and all of us money.

I want all of the officials from all the clubs to stand up and tell the VMSL that we do not want this referee to officiate us any longer.

Please if someone still has club emails, we can get this going.

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
funny !!

If you look at who you are comparing him to the other gentlemen are retired,and i only have the highest respect for all these guys. Don't get me wrong they are all of them great ref's.One thing you have to recall is he was at the highest level and was brought down a couple of notches.He is from europe class of ref's.It may be how they teach them over there.where most other ref's may leave cards in there pocket he gives it to you and ref's like it should be.Maybe it is just that the other ref's let us get away with more than most.He learnt to apply the rules and laws as they written.i may not agree when he reaches for card but he is right when he does bring them up .......

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, it is free shots at WAB without rebuttal? :bronco:

The fact that WAB was making this complaint is hilarious. To any of you who haven't received studs in the mid thigh from him, you won't quite appreciate this as much.

Hey, while I am at it, you are a cnut! :wa::knvb:

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My post was 2 years ago and I think Ruben had changed the way he distributed cards long ago.
I can tell you that the board talks a lot about referees, players, and teams. We discussed all of this with senior referee officials at the BC referee association.
What we see is a disconnect between what is stunningly a red or yellow card defined by the guidelines handed down from FIFA and what we as players and officials at VMSL interpret. Some of the fouls that I saw on video looked nothing but a foul on a hard tackle. But FIFA viewed as a straight red! If referees 10 years ago called it the way it is now, I would have been suspended my entire career!
And when you think back to "terrible" refereeing in Nationals and Provincials (Island in particular), I think some of it is our lack of knowledge on interpretation - not judgement - of severity or definition of a foul.
We can argue this stuff forever, but it will not help...

As a board, we have decided that starting in the off-season, we will have meetings with team and club managers and coaches and BCRA officials, and go over soccer video of what the BCRA interprets as reds, yellows, fouls, etc.

I understand that we must take judgement (contact or not, etc, etc) out of the equation because not all referees have the same skills, but at least teams will have a better idea of what the BCRA teaches their referees.

Just like Ruben has adapted over time, it will be up to teams and players to adapt as well.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would like to know what WAB is doing about this, now that he is on the executive and no longer (apparently) allowed to post on TTP...

If I post the way I used to, it could get me in trouble! :) I try to look at the teams, referees, and the league a little differently now.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
funny !!

If you look at who you are comparing him to the other gentlemen are retired,and i only have the highest respect for all these guys. Don't get me wrong they are all of them great ref's.One thing you have to recall is he was at the highest level and was brought down a couple of notches.He is from europe class of ref's.It may be how they teach them over there.where most other ref's may leave cards in there pocket he gives it to you and ref's like it should be.Maybe it is just that the other ref's let us get away with more than most.He learnt to apply the rules and laws as they written.i may not agree when he reaches for card but he is right when he does bring them up .......

Well Said. We must educate or players better on the rules of the game.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also, the teams' referee report will change for next year.
I will not get into details here, but if you want to know more, call me

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No disrespect, WAB......but two games where a ref gives 4 red cards to one team in both of these games.....and several games that have hit double digits in cautions........I fail to see where the aforementioned has adjusted his 'game'. I've seen red cards handed out to wrong people because they were there. TWICE........

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would say it's game-by-game because I go out, too, just to watch him ref. Along with Kent, even Miro (which I just saw him have a fantastic game). Having said that, 4 reds in one game is a concern unless it was Rangers v Celtic, Real v Barca....That type of rivalry.

Just so you all know, the league does not just ignore the complaints filed by any teams. But we have not had many formal complaints and all referee reports are read in full and discussed, by all board members, at every 2 1/2 hour executive meeting. Our goal is to make all aspects of the league better.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One day when I no longer ref in the league, I'll do a tell all Canseco style exposé. :rolleyes:

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Having said that, 4 reds in one game is a concern unless it was Rangers v Celtic, Real v Barca....That type of rivalry.

Just so you all know, the league does not just ignore the complaints filed by any teams. But we have not had many formal complaints and all referee reports are read in full and discussed, by all board members, at every 2 1/2 hour executive meeting. Our goal is to make all aspects of the league better.

Two things:

1) When did you see the last time 4 red cards in Real vs Barcelona game?

2) Some teams do not complain anymore because there is no point. Nothing changes anyway.

My post is not against Ruben. Yes, he pulls cards quickly but otherwise he is not bad. When he refs the game, shut up, play a fair game, and you should be OK. With him, at least, every team (and a player) knows what they can expect and how to behave during the game.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To put the last few posts into perspective, WAB, he gave out more red cards in three games this season than I did in 7 years in the VMSL. Unless the Premier players are the reason for this........anyway, I will not say anything else until the next time something happens. :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0