Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Telus TV

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure where the Telus will only give you incentives if you sign a contract talk came from...

I have one year pricing (non-contract... I can quit any time) with Telus right now. Internet + Basic Cable = $30/month. I was supposed to pay a rental fee on an HD receiver, but they messed up my installation appointment, so they gave me an HD PVR rental free for the year too :D

When the year is up, I believe the costs become $18 for the TV package + $30 for the Internet + $10 for the HD rental unless I buy one.

One thing to add. I absolutely love the PVR iPhone app. I forget to record a show before leaving the house? No problem, there's an app for that!

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ask them how they perceive the 25mbps pipe to be enough in 2 years time when the way you use the internet will undoubtedly change.

No way I would EVER sign into a contract for my main Internet service.

Shaw may be going through some pains now but I believe it's going to pay large dividends in the not-so-distant future.

What do you know about the internet anyway?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
dezza, I'm referring to free laptop/xbox/miscellaneous incentive for signing a contract and long term reductions in hardware rentals (Ie: I got my HD PVR & STB Rental free for years 1 & 2 of 3 year contract and am only paying for year 3...)

that stuff would have never appeared as incentives to me if I had not contract committed.

i *think* Telus charges $10 p month for each stb/pvr, with Shaw I'd have to buy one or rent one, with Telus I got essentially $20per month free for 24 months ($$480 in free rental) and will only be paying $240 over the third year as a rental for 2 boxes, instead of buying Shaw's boxes or renting them at a higher price, plus my "free" $700 HP laptop.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Currently on a 3 yr plan they are crediting a HD PVR STB ($15 per month) + 1 additional satellite box free ($5 per month) and you get a free HP laptop. X-Box promo is over unfortunately, those who cashed in got a steal if they are gamers because the X-Box also doubles as an additional receiver.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Base level difference between a Shaw connection and a Telus connection:
  1. Shaw uses shared broadband cable for their connections. This means that your connection has a higher potential speed than Telus connections can, but the more the connection is shared, the slower it becomes.
  2. Telus used (and still does in most cases) ADSL technology, which gives you a slower potential speed than Shaw but is not shared with other users outside your connection. This means that a Telus connection at its slowest will still be faster than a Shaw connection at its slowest.
  3. if you live in a complex or apartment tower with cable amplifiers, all bets are off, as the Shaw option becomes more than competitive with the Telus one.
Liked the Novus idea, but as mentioned, it's only available in a very limited number of locations. Still waiting for my fibre optic connection...;)

I've had both Shaw and Telus connections here for TV and internet use. Normally there are at least 3 internet devices connected at any given time here, and frequently more than 6, so we would definitely notice any lag. It does happen, but I find it's more of a function of the popularity of the site being visited than my connection speed (at least according to SpeedTest). Realistically, I've found no noticeable difference between my old Shaw connection and my current Telus connection.

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
thanks for all the help guys

we decided to switch to telus optik with the package i listed previously plus they added the laptop (they hadn't in the previous package). the main decisions for the switch were the pvr everywhere and the disney channels. I tried to search for whether Shaw would at some point have the disney channels and only found forums complaining about shaw not having them and half-assed petitions with less than 10 signatures per petition trying to get shaw to get them. The disney channels have been a hit with my 2.5 yr old while at my brother-in-laws place (has optik) and while in Palm Springs.

we also are getting approx 10 to 15 additional HD channels with the telus package versus the shaw package.

thanks again

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Handy Manny and Mickey Mouse Club House certainly takes the edge off of Sunday mornings with the wee ones after a night on the piss! ;)

~YouCanAdmitYou'reInLoveWithHannahMontana

on another note, has anyone ever figured out a way to move things off your PVR onto another hard drive so you could access it with other devices like an Archos or moving media to a PS3 etc?

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Handy Manny and Mickey Mouse Club House certainly takes the edge off of Sunday mornings with the wee ones after a night on the piss! ;)

on another note, has anyone ever figured out a way to move things off your PVR onto another hard drive so you could access it with other devices like an Archos or moving media to a PS3 etc?

I've been trying to figure that out, but I'm an idiot so no such luck yet.

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

i got hooked on Phineas and Ferb during the labour day long weekend in palm springs

and i've got no problem if i stumble upon hannah montana or selena gomes

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

So far the only way to do this is to burn it to a DVD recorder one program at a time at 480i. The issue is that the recordings on the PVR hard drive are encrypted and indexed, so it's not like normal NTFS drive formatting where you can just hook the drive up to a linux system and read all the content. This link has a bit more information on the topic.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just called in to cancel my 3 month preview of Superchannel from when I signed up, guy says to me "If you're interested we have another free channel preview promotion going on right now, it's 1 month of the Playboy Channel." Just in case any of you Telus TV users were interested :wa:

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good news for gamers, Telus is planning on re-doing a free X-Box when you sign up for Optik+Hi-Speed. PM me and I will be glad to keep you in the loop...

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0