Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Teachers' Work-To-Rule

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So let's have at it.

The Provincial Government aims to classify education as an essential service, yet doesn't want to pay teachers as an essential employee. Meanwhile, the Government, among many private citizens dissaprove of teachers withholding their "services" regarding extracurricular activities.

Is coaching a basketball team an essential service? I say no; but if the Government wants to deem it as such then they had better start paying teachers like they are.

I believe there are certain areas of the public service which should not be fcuked around with: health & education being two of them. So far both have been and, as a (potential) taxpayer, I'm pissed at this administration.

Bargaining is one thing, but the past 6 months have been something else.

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
champion

great call keeper.

i would like to also add that i cannot believe that the general public could not give a rats about what is happening. this debate is still catagorised as being about teachers bitching about pay.

their rights to bargain are being eroded by the LRB being asked to decide if they are allowed to withdraw sevices that are VOLUNTARY. bloody ridiculous

on top of that , few people know the issues at the heart of the debate such as no maximum class size.

maybe people will care when he does something that will effect THEM.:mad:

tinerneedingtoventandfeelingbetter~~~~

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly.

The Employer (aka: Gordon Campbell) is looking to strip the existing contract so that it includes nothing but salary. As yet the public has no clue as to what's going on -- but can you blame them? So far, the media has done little to enlighten them until lately -- when it comes to disturbing the provincial highschool basketball season. :mad:

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
what is so bad is that when we negotiate at home (NSW) the 'game' is the same.
they offer us crap
........then the media report we want more money (leaving out the 100 other things)
..........we do similar things to try and get power(strike/work to rule), thereby upsetting joe average who blames us not government
.........then when we end up with peanuts the public like this because they think we are whiners

lucky for them i love my job and despite all of this i would do no other. :)

FatJoe

Aug 31, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
i fully support the teachers of bc. however, i dont think they'll get anywhere in their negotiations with the govt. Maybe the bctf should have known better when they withdrew support for the ndp. anyways, hopefully the teachers have their demands met because they do not sound that unreasonable. Most likely they are going to end up getting shafted.

Skytrain

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
do ya think

Originally posted by tiner
[B ........then the media report we want more money (leaving out the 100 other things)
[/B]

Do you really think that if the gov't supplied most of the 'other things' and did not increase wages an offer would be accepted. Most likely not.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
tiner, I am happy and relieved to read that you are so dedicated to your job. A few teachers chose their profession for the wrong reasons.

I fully support the BCTA and I understand they must take this dispute to the next level. Frankly, there is no choice in my opinion. However, there is one thing I wish there was a remedy for; and that is to somehow find a way to get rid of the poor teachers in the school system. The profession of teaching is like no other. Teachers have more effect on our children than you can ever imagine. What can be more important than that? Unfortunately, the lousy teacher can do a lot of damage if the child doesn't have a good support network at home with parents that are on the ball. Very difficult problem but it does need to be addressed.

Good luck!

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby,

You get rid of bad teachers the same way you get rid of bad firefighters.

you make them chiefs.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ahh, you too are very wise Bucky! Crowe is simply a "blocker" to this guy!

Where do you know the tub of lard from? I mean that in a nice way, of course!

I'm off to continue my holiday drinking binge. Have a great Friday night all!

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The man in question also qualified as Step-father extrordinare. AKA. Fcukin' Jackass.

Please include Bill Cowan in that elite group, as well.

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
no money

skytrain

in the last lot of negotiations the bc teachers accepted 0-0-2% (ie nothing) as a salary raise in order to get better learning conditions.

this is now working against them in the current negotiations.

they/we never win much because we always end up protecting the learning environment of the students by accepting crap money.

i wish there were a way to get rid of crappy teachers i loathe working with them. like firemen, though i have seen the heat of the classroom kill off a few. kids are pretty good like that.

Skytrain

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: no money

Originally posted by tiner
skytrain

in the last lot of negotiations the bc teachers accepted 0-0-2% (ie nothing) as a salary raise in order to get better learning conditions.

this is now working against them in the current negotiations.

Do you really think that reducing you wage increase demands to 22% (correct me if I'm wrong) over 3 years is justified or helping your cause?:confused: I'm not in teaching profession, but I would get laughed at if I wanted an increase like that in my job. While I somewhat understand what you are trying to acheive besides wages, unfortunately wage demands is all people see. And with wage demands of 20%-35% increase all it does is piss people off.

I for one am one of those people:mad: Appears that all gov't jobs (yes I include teachers as they are paid by taxes) ie nurses, doctors, garbage men, bus drivers......etc always ask for outrageous demands and end up settling on a wage increase that in other professions would not ever approve.

I do agree that teachers, like everyone else should be entitled to a cost of living rase, 22% should be out of the question. Teachers work 10 months of the year on a 12 month salary. And if teahers think they are the only ones on the work force putting in 10-12 hour days, they should give their head a shake.

I'm beginning to vent and lose focus, but that is how Skytrain see it through the many windows.

gong show

Nov 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bad FF's

Originally posted by Jinky
Ballbaby,

You get rid of bad teachers the same way you get rid of bad firefighters.

you make them chiefs.

Best way to get rid of bad firefighter's is to stop sending them to the fcuking J.I.!!!!!!Sorry off topic.............:eek: :eek:

gong show

Nov 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
teacher's

I have a friend that has been a teacher for around 5 year's now. He coaches basketball,cross country, track and field and volunteer's his time for many other thing's. It's teachers like him who volunteer their own personal time that deserve something extra. However i am sure that there are some teachers that come in right at 8 or whatever time their class starts, and leave right at three, for those teachers i would have to say it is a pretty good job( summer off, christmas break, spring break, don't work weekends, or stats) while other teachers go that extra mile to keep sport's team's and clubs going. Teacher's definately deserve a decent raise but just like other proffession's, some deserve it more than other's.:D :D

Skytrain

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: teacher's

Originally posted by gong show
He coaches ..... and volunteer's his time for many other thing's. It's teachers like him who volunteer their own personal time that deserve something extra.

Gong show,

Coaching is volunteer. Its for the love of the game and to pass something that has been taught to us when we were young lads. If you want to get paid for coaching, look to coach professional teams. I have coached kids/adults in the past, should I get any money? No. neither should teachers. But I will say it is friends like yours (the teacher) that makes a school what it is.

Teacher's definately deserve a decent raise but just like other proffession's, some deserve it more than other's.:D :D

It will never change. 'Good guys always finish last' sound familiar.

Skytrain

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Coaching...

They get paid in the states!!!!!!!!!!!

If they don't like it they can leave. Had enough of that shite with the nurses 'if you don't get us what we want we will go to USA' SEE YA! Doesn't matter how good we all think we are, we are all replaceable.

sktrainwouldteachbutheisnotallowedtobeunder100mfromchilrenunder12

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0