Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Swanguard to turf or not to turf

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was in Bby Parks office Thursday and I heard that there is talk about turfing Swanguard when the Whitecaps Leave for BC Place Stadium.
They feel they will get more use out of it, and they will need too as the Whitecaps are their biggest single user.
Correct me if Im wrong but as of now its around $800 to rent for a 2 hour game slot without opening the whole facility.
So I ask you, To turf or not to turf?

vestal

Nov 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nothing is better than a high quality grass field. There's plenty of space for turf fields at existing parks.

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are moving towards turf. Burnaby Lake just added two more. When is the last time you played at Swangard? The field is good but another turf one will have more using it as is the case at Town Centre...

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
We just played on grass last weekend and I have to say I really miss it. Keep it grass.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I say turf because that means 1 more pitch open year round for soccer and we need the pitches. Plus for smaller ,yet bigger friendlies we have a place to play besides towncenter. I know we all are missing grass. But we play in the winter here and even Swangaurd was closed for a week or two in September last year.
Turf it and we will get more games in at a pretty nice venue. I do beleive the price will come down after the Whitecaps leave for BC Place.
Down Enough for important games like Cup anyways.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sucks, it would be nice to keep a decent grass facility with seating, but with the SFU football team there, it won't ever be decent... turf it is

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why not expand the capacity of Swangard and add a turf field or two? Keep the grass pitch for special matches/championships etc. Turf sucks balls compared to grass and is hell on joints. I hear the argument for turf and more use however there is nothing like playing on grass, rain or shine.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why not expand the capacity of Swangard and add a turf field or two? Keep the grass pitch for special matches/championships etc. Turf sucks balls compared to grass and is hell on joints. I hear the argument for turf and more use however there is nothing like playing on grass, rain or shine.

You'll never get them to agree to clearing out more trees out of Central Park.

SoccerPaper

Jul 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm for grass.

Pretty soon there won't be a natural grass field left in the lower mainland.

The question is: will they keep the grass half-decent after the 'Caps leave?

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I doubt it. Look at the shameful mess that was Swangard at the start of the Whitecaps season this year. After all of the money and work that went into the field for the FIFA U20's, it was a disgraceful mess at the start of the season. And that is with a "full time" groundskeeper.
Look for it to turn into Thunderbird Stadium:mad:

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I doubt it. Look at the shameful mess that was Swangard at the start of the Whitecaps season this year. After all of the money and work that went into the field for the FIFA U20's, it was a disgraceful mess at the start of the season. And that is with a "full time" groundskeeper.
Look for it to turn into Thunderbird Stadium:mad:

the birds worms and larvae are to blame

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0