Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Stadium Updates and Politicking.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs- that sounds too political for me. For the record, I was simply refering to some good writting in the old Peg forum- from what I can remember. Just some funny shite.

~Buzzkill.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Guys, I am cross posting this letter from another local soccer website.

I talked to Bill on Saturday at the Caps game and he said he would be by TTP, but I haven't seen him yet.

Please see this letter that was sent out to many of the folks that were involved in the Friends of Soccer build it now campaign.

---------------------------
Dear Whitecaps Stadium Supporters,

For the past 15 months, all of us have been quietly supportive of the Vancouver Whitecaps as they engaged in good faith negotiations with the Vancouver Port Authority for the land they need to build the new Whitecaps Stadium. Unfortunately, last week a Port official leaked details of the confidential talks and damaged public confidence in this open process. It has since become clear that the Port has little intention of restoring our faith that they will proceed in the best interests of the Citizens of Vancouver.

The time for us to be quiet on the Whitecaps stadium has ended.

As the Whitecaps have already mentioned, media reports that they offered $1 for the vacant parking lot needed to build the stadium are an outright lie. The Whitecaps have offered 30,000 square meters of prime railyard land in exchange for the 10,000 square meter parking lot needed to complete the stadium. This 3 to 1 land exchange is not only fair, but generous to the Port, as they've long needed better access to the railway yards to fulfill its mandate.

The land the Whitecaps are asking for provides nothing more for the Port than parking, small offices and a Helijet pad, which is likely to be relocated to the new transit hub. It cannot become a space for new container cranes or other Port facilities. The Port also claims the stadium may impede their operations. Yet, this does not seem to be a problem if the Whitecaps pay a $35 million fee for the exact same land. The Port Authority's attempts to squeeze additional cash and land out of the Whitecaps is shameless to say the least. To do so in a way that undermines the public interest is completely unacceptable.

Despite being a Crown Corporation, the Port Authority believes it can be completely unaccountable to the Citizens of Vancouver. It's here where we need to come together once again and prove them wrong. We already know from our past stadium battles that 70% of Vancouverites want the stadium built on the Waterfront...and they wanted it finished yesterday! We also know that we can shake the foundations of our politicians when they know that thousands of citizens who play, coach or enjoy sport take notice of the issues.

Our politicians know that many of us aren't regularly involved in politics, and they become concerned when we speak out. They also know that when we get involved, we may not march, or hold noisy protests. But they know all too well that we can go quietly enmasse into a voting booth and defeat their government.

That is the clear message we must get through to them. We have to give them that message like never before.

As the stadium benefits all of us who love soccer and rugby in Canada, the Friends of Soccer Campaign will begin to take a national focus. Over the days and weeks ahead, all Conservative and Liberal Members of Parliament will need to hear from us.

We will also have to seriously question the NDP's incomprehensible opposition to a stadium that will benefit so many of the working class families they claim to represent. While we have always strived to stay non-partisan in this debate, the attempts by NDP MP Libby Davies to undermine the stadium can no longer go unchallenged. The federal NDP must answer for her actions, and NDP members who truly love soccer must stand up for the majority of citizens.

We also need to especially hold to account any B.C. Politician who is opposed or apathetic to the Whitecaps Stadium. We need to make clear that we will no longer take "this isn't our jurisdiction...this is a federal matter...we have no say" as an answer. A provincial MLA is perfectly capable of calling or visiting Ottawa to push for action. A City Councilor, especially one who aspires to be mayor, needs to stand up for the best interests of its citizens, and not just sit around and hope for good things to happen. They need to do the work that would be expected of them if Vancouver were trying to land the Olympics or its first NHL team. After all, if they can't resolve a simple issue such as accepting a free stadium, how can we possibly believe they're capable of handling complex issues like transportation and homelessness?

In the near future, at my own expense, I will be traveling to Ontario to request a meeting with the Minister of Transportation, Lawrence Cannon. I am also willing to meet with any M.P. or Senator who wants to champion our cause. Somehow, I know, I will not be alone in doing this.

The effort we'll need from Canada's soccer and rugby community is immense, but it begins with a simple action that you can take. If you can write or call a Member of Parliament, that's a start. If you play on or coach a team, encourage your teammates to get involved. If you volunteer for a minor soccer or rugby organization, tell other parents about the stadium they're trying to build in Vancouver, and bring them on board.. If you're involved in your Provincial Association, please get get your whole province involved.

And, above all else, we need the Canadian Soccer Association and Rugby Canada to become stronger proponents for the stadium. They're offices are in Ottawa and Toronto. They're closest to the ears of the decision makers. They have the ability to reach every single team and player in the country. They need to push harder than anyone.

We, as Canadians, should not have to do the work that we elect our leaders at every level to do. Yet we're faced with this situation today and for the weeks and months to come. We cannot become a true soccer nation until we have stadiums and top-flight teams in our largest cities. Rugby will not meet it's potential without stadiums as well. Once that happens, our sports will inevitably evolve and flourish across the country. By taking action today, you'll know someday that you played a role in building a solid foundation for soccer and rugby in Canada.

Yours in Sport,
Bill Currie
Friends of Soccer
Support The Vancouver Whitecaps Stadium!
friendsofsoccer@hotmail.com

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spell check doesn't always catch grammar their regsy ;)

Yes Larry Campbell is getting involved, but he is a senator, I am not 100% sure what they do all day, but I know there all old raisins that have political axe's to grind, and their appointed not elected.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JB- thanks for posting that. I for one am willing to shamelessly petition parents of kids I coaches, and the countless family members that unwittingly ask me for advise about what their kids should be doing w/ the game.

Below is great, but a little incomplete.

The effort we'll need from Canada's soccer and rugby community is immense, but it begins with a simple action that you can take. If you can write or call a Member of Parliament, that's a start. If you play on or coach a team, encourage your teammates to get involved. If you volunteer for a minor soccer or rugby organization, tell other parents about the stadium they're trying to build in Vancouver, and bring them on board..

Is there any way to generate a hit list of contacts; interested parties that either need to be contacted or will help push the agenda. I don't think I am alone here in saying I don't know who those contacts are. Can Bill help w/ this? I'm thinking:

~Mayer & City Councilors of Vancouver
~Local MLA's (???)
~Provincial Parliament, Liberal and Conservative (or whatever the Conservatives are called these days…SoCred? Reform?) party specifically)
~Ministry of Sports, BC
~Federal Ministry of Sport
~BCSA
~CSA
~Rugby Canada
~2010 Olympic Committee
~COA
~Tennis Canada

Anybody else? What about approaching a Gentleman like Aurthur Griffiths, who has always been a very loud, yet polished supporter of sports infrastructure, and who may have some key contacts?

I’m thinking that if a list can be established, w/ proper titles, e-mail addresses, ect, you make it public (after all, these are public officials who should have a stake in this), and start sending letters after decide what the theme of that letter needs to be.

Just a thought. People will support if it requires minimal research on their part, and only the time required to pen a letter. Hopefully, the interested parties get bombarded w/ requests for help from their “members”, and take it upon themselves to push from their angle. With any luck, a snowball of support will be generated.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you click the link to Bill's site he has the emails and contact info for a great number of the stakeholders...

The thinking should be that 3-4k votes in any riding could sway an election, and that is roughly similar in numbers to the amount of kids enrolled in minor sports such as soccer and football etc...

remember more kids play soccer than hockey in Canada (Especially BC) and those votes mean a lot to federal politicians who govern what happens to federally owned land that is managed by a crown corp in the VPA.

FriendsofSoccer

Apr 29, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hi...it's Bill Currie of Friends of Soccer. Thanks for the invite, Johnny.

And thanks to everyone for joining in the stadium fight. While I'm optimistic we can help the Whitecaps get over this next hurdle, we're still going to face many weeks and months ahead when the stadium moves to rezoning. I realize that this process is frustrating to alot of us, but the end result will be worth it.

As everyone mentioned, right now the focus is on the federal government to push the land swap deal forward. From a Conservative / Liberal point of view, the stadium is a populist issue where there's no downside in supporting it. Whoever makes it happen can look like a hero. The reason we're trying to gain support from the soccer community across Canada is show MPs that this is an issue that concerns a large number of players throughout the country.

Also, if you live outside of Vancouver proper, there's still plenty of reasons to write. The economic activity you provide to retailers and restaurants benefits Vancouver. Someone who lives in Mission, leaves the car at home and takes the West Coast Express to work and then stays for the game has contributed one less car on the road. Someone who lives in the suburbs, but works in the city every day contributes more to the livability of Vancouver than a guy who lives in L.A., but keeps an empty condo in Coal Harbour. Don't let anyone ever tell you you're voice doesn't count in this debate. Without the 70% of Metro that lives outside the city, Vancouver wouldn't be a fraction as prosperous as it is now.

Anyhow, I hope to have an updated list of MPs to contact up on the website by tomorrow. I'm also preparing a brief report on the stadium that I'll be sending to all Conservative and Liberal MPs. There's more to come over the next few weeks. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks again...and keep the faith!

Bill Currie
Friends of Soccer
Support The Vancouver Whitecaps Stadium!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Greater Vancouver and Lower Mainland Vancouver Area Members of Parliament information, listings and links

a list of your MPs in your ridings/constituencies...
Please pay special notice to David Emerson (as he is the minister largely responsible for the Ports being his calling is in International Trade) and the other Vancouver-Proper MP's, as well as your local MP that you would vote for/against.

I realize that the stadium is definitely not the biggest of issues you would consider when it comes to voting for your elected officials, other issues have more bearing on the overall quality of life we live. That being said, our voices combating the vocal minority will make the "vocal" minority sound like the true minority they truly are.

If a bluff is a bluff then the elected officials, or would-be elected officials will be the ones running the risk to heed our call one way or the other.

I have emailed David Emerson, Mark Warawa (My local MP), and the Mayor-Hopefuls for Vancouver today. So far no replies other than the automated response emails telling me they might get around to me, but if enough emails hit them they may start to take notice.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Screw it...here's the list for anyone to use. Only Libs & Conservative. No NDPs here. I'm sure Regs can delete if he sees it as inappropriate:

Abbotsford
Ed Fast
Fast.E@parl.gc.ca

Delta-Richmond East
John Cummins
Cummins.J@parl.gc.ca

Langley
Mark Warawa
Warawa.M@parl.gc.ca

Newton-North Delta
Sukh Dhaliwal
Grewal.G@parl.gc.ca