Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ROSS ONGARO is Named Head Coach of National Futsal Team

Virtually Canadian

Mar 10, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ottawa, Ontario - The Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) today announced the appointment of former national team player Ross Ongaro to the position of Head Coach of the newly created National Futsal Program, effective immediately.

An Edmonton native, Ongaro’s playing career includes caps with Canada’s Men’s Olympic and Youth Teams, and professional experience in the North American Soccer League (NASL), the Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL), the Canadian Professional Soccer League (CPSL), and the American Indoor Soccer League (AISL).

His coaching experience began as a Player Assistant Coach with the CPSL Edmonton Brick Men from 1985 to 1987. From 1996 to 2000, Ongaro served as the head coach of the National Professional Soccer League (NPSL) Edmonton Drillers where he earned Head Coach of the Year honours two years in a row.

“I am extremely excited to be the named as Head Coach of our National Futsal Program,” said Ongaro. “I look forward to once again work with some of Canada’s finest Soccer Players.”

Over the next few months, Ongaro plans to scout Canadian players in the MISL, A-League, and NCAA as well as across Canada before holding the first National Futsal training camp in December 2003.

In the short term, the goal of the National Futsal Team is to qualify for from the CONCACAF Qualifying Championships which will take place in July/August 2004 in advance of the FIFA World Futsal Championship set for November/December of 2004 (locations of both TBA).

The 2000 FIFA Futsal Championship was played in Guatemala with 16 qualified countries where CONCACAF was represented by Guatemala, Cuba, and Costa Rica. The Championship was ultimately won by Spain defeating Brazil.

Canada participated in the inaugural Futsal Championship staged in Netherlands in 1989. Canada finished third in Group C after defeating Japan but losing to both Argentina and Belgium.

Futsal is the only international form of indoor soccer approved by the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA). The game is frequently referred to as Five-A-Side and is gaining rapid popularity.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I watched some of the Futsal recently on Fox Sports and found it extremely BOR-ING . It is like watching a freaking power play the whole game. One of the goalies(Italy I believe) was pushing 220 lbs. Unforunately, he was only 5'4". After watching a portion of one match, I made sure I changed to channel any other time it was on.

To stay on topic, congrats to Ross Ongaro, I guess.

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ross Ongaro

Is Joe Petrone somehow involved in this also???

If this is the case,the Futsal program will be defunct in no time.

Ongaro is as horrible a coach as he was a player!!!

Virtually Canadian

Mar 10, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
wrong

Ross is an awesome coach as is Joe Petrone.

Joe made great rosters for the past drillers. If anyone is involved in any pro soccer team in the city those are the best people to have.

Joe wouldn't be involved only Ross in the futsal program.

If your talking defunct teams trying blaming that on the owner of the clubs not the coaches or the director of soccer operations.

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keep Following

VC

Those 2 guys are proven losers........but still run every soccer team that surfaces in Edmonton..........Runs them out of town that is:eek:

Notty

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wanted to get my two bits in on this topic...If Ross and Joe P-fcukeveryoneintheass are involved in this, the teams are destined for failure. No disrespect to the BC based Italians that played for the drillers...but both those muckers are prone to picking Itals for their side! Once again...Carmen and Dom are fantastic players and deserved every minute on the field...but they had some guys on the pitch that were down right shite!

I can only hope the worst for Joe P-fcukeveryoneintheass!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0