Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rating your ref thread........

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chances are Captain that you could get shagged if you show up. You still wearing those Umbro shorts from the 80's?

Ballbaby, I can truly and honestly say they are a thing of the past.........:) I'm in new NIKE gear now. Unfortunately, my eye sight is getting worse but at least I think I look more the part now. :D

Are we hooking up for one or two on St. Patrick's Day? Starting at Joeys on Broadway at 11:00. :)

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chances are Captain that you could get shagged if you show up. You still wearing those Umbro shorts from the 80's?

Those are hot... er... hawt.

I have a full team set left over from Penticton 07 if anyone (read: Captain) is looking for a pair or 22.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby, I can truly and honestly say they are a thing of the past.........:) I'm in new NIKE gear now. Unfortunately, my eye sight is getting worse but at least I think I look more the part now. :D

Are we hooking up for one or two on St. Patrick's Day? Starting at Joeys on Broadway at 11:00. :)

I live one block away from the Dublin Crossing man. I can get my Irish fix locally. Also, the old "one or two" line has to stop. You, nor I, and the majority on this site, are capable of having only "one or two". Do we really make ourselves feel better when we state it as such? Should we really be stating it as "Are we hooking up for 17 or 18 on St. Patrick's Day?"

blade

Sep 16, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Because this is dedicated to the art to piss taking......

All recent quotes by WAB...

WAB said:
Pretty good, but it's the same guy who keeps fcuking Sapp's O35 team with just one bad call every game.

Oh ya.....or else we're still due to be screwed out of more points.Hagi or Miro...better yet, Kevin the puffed-up clown.

I would LOVE to see those 3 work a game together. That would be hilarious stuff (As long as Sapp wasn't involved, of course). Hagi lost on a sideline somewhere talking it up with the crowd while Miro and Kevin both handing out cards to every player, sub, fan, and referee. (see Billy Crystal in Forget Paris - chick flick, I know, but still)
Next season, No, but in a few years, you have yourself a deal! Does Branco teach the clinic? That'll answer a lot of questions.

I do most of Sapp exhibition games and I'll be putting almost every ref to shame in a few short days.WAB,

You clearly seem to have issue with just about everyone who officiates your games and the guy (Branco) who teaches the referee classes. At the risk of sounding bias, which I do, I cannot bring myself to believe that your team is somehow targeted by just about every entity in the soccer world to ensure that your lot has limited success.

At the same token, your statement:

I do most of Sapp exhibition games and I'll be putting almost every ref to shame in a few short days.

leaves a lot to be desired!!!! A lot!!!

Let me guess ....you don't make any errors in those "exhibition" games involving your own team and there is never any error in judgement nor conflict of interest on your part given that your own team is playing. (Regardless of whether there are any stakes involved or not). I am certain that no one questions your perfect decisions because of your wealth of experience in "playing" the game.

We all have had to deal with calls that we don't like on many occasions, in many games. If you don't believe me, check out lowly Div 2 once in a while ! You just can't seem to get past the fact that everyone who officiates your team is out to get you or is blatantly incompetent.

Whistle blower offered you an opportunity to fix the problem right now and you promptly replied "In a few years".

You should either abandon your conspiracy theories and constant complaining about the level of officiating of take the liberty of correcting this problem all by yourself, as you clearly feel you are qualified and capable of doing.

Given that you have implied that you have not even taken a refereeing course, (but still choose to referee games!!!!!!!!) it is difficult to give any credibility to your criticism based on "street credit" of having "played the game." Simply put, playing and officiating are two different things altogether, just like coaching and playing. Anyone who has done both will certainly speak to that. Time to put up or ...well ...you know the rest.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Given that you have implied that you have not even taken a refereeing course, (but still choose to referee games!!!!!!!!) it is difficult to give any credibility to your criticism based on "street credit" of having "played the game." Simply put, playing and officiating are two different things altogether, just like coaching and playing. Anyone who has done both will certainly speak to that. Time to put up or ...well ...you know the rest.

I took the course when I was 13 and reffed until I was 17.

Easy - don't contradict yourself and never try to make up a situation that never happened because you screwed up. I think this is what frustrates players the most. Just keep judging it, right or wrong, consistently.
And don't piss on me because I can't commit to it at this time in my life, I do enough volunteer work right now, but I will ref in due time.
If you get paid or play with other people's money, then be accountable.

blade

Sep 16, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok I stand corrected, you took the course many years ago. My bad. You officiated for 5 years. My point was that you seem to have a hate on for many of the people who ref your games. Do you just happen to draw all the "biased refs in the world" in your games or is it you looking through rose colored glasses.

As far as your reference to making up situations" ?????????????????? I assume this had something to do with some game at some point.

Given that this is called "take the piss" , I thought the ideas was to piss on people whose opinions you disagree with?!!!!!!

If you can't commit to solving the problem ...whatever, but you sure seem to piss all over ALL the people who officiate your games....constantly.

Having toiled in div 2 for a career as a recreational player, I cannot speak for your team but when we feel we have been hosed on a call we are pissed like anyone else but we dont' have eternal issue with a variety of people who seem to have wronged us at one time or another. Your example of the one guy who you admitted was good but screws up one call a game to cost your O 35 team...do you really think that he does this on purpose? Really?

My two bits is that you seem to take this whole officiating thing as a conspiracy and almost personal. I have no idea what is involved in taking a ref course so I can't comment on what those guys do but even those who we might think "suck" .....I cannot imagine that they have a hate on for specific players and teams in an amateur league ...really????

Having said that , how much "playing with other people's money" can one get for $40????

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I live one block away from the Dublin Crossing man. I can get my Irish fix locally. Also, the old "one or two" line has to stop. You, nor I, and the majority on this site, are capable of having only "one or two". Do we really make ourselves feel better when we state it as such? Should we really be stating it as "Are we hooking up for 17 or 18 on St. Patrick's Day?"

Good point............BAllbaby, would you like to hook up for a dozen or baker's dozen on Monday? We will be starting at Joeys on Broadway. Perhaps you could have some of your Firemen mates pick us up there and give us a lift to our next destination? Not sure where that might be yet but any help would be great.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My point was that you seem to have a hate on for many of the people who ref your games. Do you just happen to draw all the "biased refs in the world" in your games or is it you looking through rose colored glasses.
Paul Walker, Paul Ward, various assistants, Rene, John Burns, Hagi, and many more are all referees that are pretty good and even one is my friend.:eek:
Having toiled in div 2 for a career as a recreational player, I cannot speak for your team but when we feel we have been hosed on a call we are pissed like anyone else but we dont' have eternal issue with a variety of people who seem to have wronged us at one time or another. Your example of the one guy who you admitted was good but screws up one call a game to cost your O 35 team...do you really think that he does this on purpose? Really?
I couldn't imagine the calibre of ref you get in Div 2 and it must be frustrating, and of course he didn't do it intentionally.
My two bits is that you seem to take this whole officiating thing as a conspiracy......I cannot imagine that they have a hate on for specific players and teams in an amateur league ...really????
Well in truth (just ask anyone in Premier), about 5 years ago, a referee who was having tough times, would single out and intentionally confront individual players and, I felt, bait them into cards. This referee actually apologized to me personally a few years later and told me his situation. That referee went from an ass to one of the most popular and best refs in the league.

Having said that , how much "playing with other people's money" can one get for $40????
It's $50.00!!!!!!!!!

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Blade

One more thing, the league has a "system" in place for teams to rate and comment and raise concerns about referees - all teams asked for this opportunity at the AGM. But how many changes/investigations has the league done in the past few years????

FRANCIS

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The VMSL must have done one investigation, because the absolute worst ref does not ref VMSL games anymore..........he just does MLS and FIFA sanctioned games now....go figure.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that referee spoke out and criticized the league for something, thus resulting in a suspension. Maybe Tremy has insider knowledge.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that referee spoke out and criticized the league for something, thus resulting in a suspension.

umm

Probably more like he got tired of all of us questioning him and his infallibility and decided he was cut out for better things...:rolleyes::D

BTW, pull your socks up.

Freddy: the ref organizer is a very nice guy. Not quite a union, but there was pressure to use sanctioned refs only, and I know that some guys who also ref non-sanctioned games were getting told not to (not sure if this is still the case). I believe this came from BC Soccer when they were feeling more litigious than they appear to be currently...

Down in the depths this year we've been spared most of the more bizarre and inconsistent decisions we used to be subjected to. Better group of officials than previously? Maybe, or perhaps things are being taken more seriously as we've got one of their peers playing for us this season.:D

The most atrocious display I've seen this year was actually at my kids' game (U15) at Ambleside, where we had a prize specimen whose interpretaton of the offside rule was the most inventive I've ever seen; it certainly diverged from anything that FIFA has placed on their web site. Kudos to the players for not losing it after such a shocking display. To this "official" who I will not name: I just hope you can sleep well after jobbing a bunch of 14 and 15 year old kids.:mad: Shame on you...

Trece

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
umm
Down in the depths this year we've been spared most of the more bizarre and inconsistent decisions we used to be subjected to. Better group of officials than previously? Maybe, or perhaps things are being taken more seriously as we've got one of their peers playing for us this season.:D
Trece

I agree that ref quality on the whole is better this year than just about any year. A big part of that is the arrival of a few new younger refs (one in particular) who understand the game and have obviously played it. That said, it would be good to continue to have better ref performance - and certainly in cup games have the best refs, not the ones with the longest resume. Much like soccer players, refs have their primes and then they pass them . . .

I can't think of the perfect system, but there should be a ref peer performance system once in a while. I know a lot of us would love to give them constructive criticism, but that is always a tough thing to swallow. Hell, I know that when Mrs. Freddy starts giving me some advice:rolleyes:

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree that ref quality on the whole is better this year than just about any year. A big part of that is the arrival of a few new younger refs (one in particular) who understand the game and have obviously played it. That said, it would be good to continue to have better ref performance - and certainly in cup games have the best refs, not the ones with the longest resume. Much like soccer players, refs have their primes and then they pass them . . .

I can't think of the perfect system, but there should be a ref peer performance system once in a while. I know a lot of us would love to give them constructive criticism, but that is always a tough thing to swallow. Hell, I know that when Mrs. Freddy starts giving me some advice:rolleyes:

Constructive criticism from players who don't know the LOTG doesn't mean a whole lot. Now, if it comes from someone who knows them, well different story. But TTP is full of ignorant players when it comes to LOTG.
My 2 cents...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
your two cents is off base imho.

What gets players upset on fields usually? Usually it is the perception of a non or wrong call for
A) Offside (Straight forward rules usually, haven't changed in a few years now)
B) Penalty's (Straight forward, but is subjective)
C) Ball in or out (depending on league and division you may or may not have linespeople and ref may or may not have the best of eye sight from distance

Usually the bitching and moaning comes from one of the above resulting in a goal or chance, or perceived un-deserved chance...I know I scream and hollar at refs with the best of them.

Fact if Freddy is right, refs like players have their primes and get "past it" and have their "learning curve"

What is wrong with a panel of referees on a rotational basis out there doing spot reviews on each other much the same way BC Hockey does with their referees?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
canucklehead:

Three cents change for your two cents worth. Yes, there are a few donkeys here, but there are also some qualified refs, including some who still play more than they ref. Nothing used to irk me more than being told off by some poncy martinet after a game in which he'd blown a call either way that "I didn't know the LOTG" until I'd have to pull out my tattered old ref's card and then the attitude would change.:rolleyes:

The VMSL has a feedback mechanism; WAzzi emailed out ref review forms near the beginning of the season. I'm betting most teams aren't using them because they actually are satisfied with the level of officiating they're getting. Yes, we tend to forget the good ones and focus on the bad ones, but that's because they do stand out.

You missed something: constructive criticism IS meaningful. That's why it's called "constructive." I don't have to be a ref (even though I am one) to recognize when somebody's blown a call or misread a play or let a game get out of hand. I'm also smart enough to know that arguing with an official isn't going to make him (or her) change a decision.

Johnny:

Refs are supposed to be assessed by their peers occasionally. Usually this means somebody comes out and watches your performance in the middle and does an evaluation on it. How frequently? Probably not often enough, but like other things, it's mostly due to a lack of bodies...

Trece

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
So there is enough fatcats and bureaucrats to sit around and suck back funds at the CSA and BCSA but not enough to ensure that the people that do volunteer their time to get paid $50 a game to ref know what the hell they are doing? :p

I have submitted probably close to 12 ref reports this year, and all have been glowing accounts of refs showing up on time, ensuring both teams are fileding legit lineups, ensuring the game is played on time and within the LOTG... I think only once this year I submitted a poor report and it was a game we won handily...But the ref was clearly out of his depth...Everyone has bad days...Players, coaches, even referees... I'm sure it was a blip on the radar for that guy, maybe he got into a fight with his kids or wife before the game and his head wasn't in it...However, you'd think that if the league received poor reviews of him by teams on a regular basis they would take some action.

I'm not trying to throw anyone under a bus or anything, but how Tin Poh has not been reported as having a poor performance many a time over the last two or three years is beyond me.

I don't know if they do in the FVSL or not, or if they have in the past, or if Managers and Coaches only send in poor reviews when they lose a close game by a peno they feel wasn't justified or what have you.
(we drew the only game Tin did for us this year so the grapes aren't as sour as one would think ;) )

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN:

Tin Po is a member of a special group of people called "Hazardous to your mental well-being." Please keep him on the south side of the river, as we don't want him back doing games over on this side of it.:D

I guess (again) it has to do with the number of people willing to be refs, especially with the growth of the sport in the Valley. You can't have Robbie Brown doing every game, me son...

Trece

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0