Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Party Etiquette

Is it OK to take to leave with any unfinished alcohol you've brought to a party?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky said:
Cheap fcuks.

You leave all the leftover booze.

Ya!, I even left my fancy smancy beers at Jinks house after that big TTP SPL party a few years back, he brother even said, that they were too fancy for Jinks to drink. They get better with age.

hos

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Boys, boys, boys.

What goes to the party, stays at the party.

Very simple but just a little common sense please! :rolleyes:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny how the cheap guys on this matter, not to name names (TheRob, Yoda), are both from the ditch. Is it in the water out there?

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lets make this simple so everyone understands!

TTP Beverage party rules:

1. if I show up at your house unannounced for a beer, it is my responsibility to bring the beer.

2. if you invite me to your house for any reason, it is your responsibility to supply me with beverages! This could be for a party, sports events, house repairs, etc...

Hope this makes things simple for everyone!

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually, you "cakes" subscribe to #1 all of the time!! You come to somebody's house, there should be bevvies a plenty regardless!!!

Cheap cnuts!:D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Somebody define party.

If you invite over another couple for dinner or whatever, for sure, you supply the booze. But a full-on casual party with 10 or more guests?

Proper etiquette in the first place is to bring your own anyways I think. Unless of course you bring a bag of pretzels, then by all means...

:D

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lots of great points. Liked the potato salad story. I remember a similar Seinfeld episode when Georges parents took the bread home from a dinner party, so that MUST be proper etiquette.

As far as the booze, if you bring it, you leave it.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
1. Some parties are invites (x-mass) and those usually involve booze that is supplied, but by no means should a host have to supply booze for >10 at a summer BBQ......example......knowone, Guinni, coach, etc....... are you kidding me. With drunk friends like mine, I could not afford to do that.........esp. every weekend.
2. You should allways leave your leftovers, but by all means one should try to finish what they bring first! :D even if it takes them all night. Hard booze is debatable, a 40 or more may be brought home if a lot is left over, otherwise it stays!
3. Agree with Regs, one should allways bring something even if it is food.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bronco exactly what i was thinking.

Regs an example for ya.

Say my good friend Bronco was having a party. I would expect him to have a full fridge of beer and full counter of hard stuff (cuz that is how our parents threw parties.) and everyone can drink whatever they want. In my good part i would still bring a gift. It is Bronco's party and he has opened up his home to us. So a case of beer, bottle of wine/hard stuff will be given.

Just imagine going to a cash bar wedding??? :eek: Who takes their wallet to a wedding???

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guess it all depends on your stage in life...... :rolleyes:

When I was young and stupid (but not quite like a Div 2 FVSL player), BYOB meant bring your case of ugly mainstream beer and either throw as much of it would fit into the host's fridge as possible (and risk losing it all to the rest of the drink moochers like Girth who would show up empty-handed :rolleyes: ), or sit it under the chair you were plunked in and guard it all night, whilst only doling out brews to attractive young wenches you were trying to hit on. If you had anything left at the end of the night, your criteria for taking it with you were:

a) is it worth the hassle to (am I too drunk to) carry the leftovers?
b) how far do I have to walk or how long do I have to wait for the bus?
c) does the bird I'm talking into coming home with me need more liquoring up?
d) do I need more liquoring up to pull this bird?​

If you didn't have anything left, you joined the rest of the moochers and drank whatever was left in the fridge that matched what you bought (amazing how 4 cans of Canadian could frequently manage to turn into 13). This was considered acceptable behaviour when I was a starving student. Saving throw #1: I used to find whatever the most unusual beer at the LDB was, and bring it with me, since not many of the generic beer-drinking folks I met would want it left behind (who wants half a 2 litre bottle of Watney's bleedin' Red Barrel the next morning?)... :D Saving throw #2: "let's pick up all the empties and go back to the Liquor Store. We can buy more booze and get drunk again!"

Now, however, parties are frequently attended by (or thrown by) aquaintances with considerably more money and booze available to them, so the case of beerZ you brought with you doesn't represent such a substantial portion of your week's income, and you can better afford to leave some behind. Also, more of your social interaction is tied into these situations, so you can't afford to make such a major gaffe like rudely collecting all your leftover bottles (especially for those of us who have kids and have to plan to be spontaneous.... :rolleyes: ). As well, those of us who make our own plonk can definitely afford to be more generous with the fruits of our labours (although no more for that philistine Captain Shamrock!), because there's plenty more where that came from....

Food's a different topic. Some hosts can't stand the sight of a fridge full of left-over food, and encourage you to take home your own leftovers (they also don't want to have to face all the left-behind dishes the next morning - who would with an overhang?). Others have blown the nestegg on last night's do and don't care if they have to live off extra hors d'ouvres for the next week. All I can say is please take home your liver pate and leftover smelly cheese with you, or at least leave it outside KNVB's house instead.

No, I'm not bottling my next batch until NEXT week.....

beerZ,

stew :cool:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now you're riding a slippery slope there, Regs. Nothing can be worse than being invited over to say... the missus friends place or even worse, the 666 of dinner parties, the missus work acquaintances place for the proverbial dinner and "drinks". They'll undoubtedly banter on about ridicules inside work jokes and about people you've only ever heard about in passing, people who if you met at a social gathering would only be there asking for directions to the bathroom for their kid who has snot running down his face and shite down his leg. You know the type, the Meads as I like to call them. What if the sloppy twats have questionable taste in beverages? Do you think I want to be stuck in that situation and end up drinking Bailey's & coffee or even worse some dark, malted, frothy warm beer the husband, who I'm sure is about as thrilled to be pissing away a Saturday night with me as I am with him, has just cracked out of the cupboard from his last party, where obviously, Yoda and TheRob weren't invited or it wouldn't be there in the first place?

Not to mention, but I am, what if said inviter only has 6 or 7 beers to being with? Sacrilegious to think of, but man, I've seen it happen. You know what's next then don't you? The idle 'hows she going, Bob's your uncle' chit-chat ends and you're at the point where the 'real' conversation has to begin or the night, inevitably will go further into the tank that it already has. Couples can only talk about kids, gardening or decorating for so long you know. Of course, I've never discussed any of those it's just an example you see. This, obviously, is the most critical point to the whole BYOB theory. At least at this point you can excuse yourself from the excruciating "Fraser in accounting is such a skint cnut story" (because everyone in accounting is named Fraser) walk over to the fridge and grab one of your own tasty beverages and start to drink yourself into numbness. This will allow you to do two things 1) the freedom to give yourself 5 minutes of silence and to scratch and/or shift as desired and what it'll also do, more importantly to the social ergonomics, is 2) avoid the awkwardness of waiting for the host to stop nursing his pint (because he surly knows he's cnut for only serving up the few party left overs or just a sixer if he has at all bothered to put an effort in) and prevent you from dropping the inevitable bad jokes to hurry him up, like "is that room temperature yet?" or "are you saving that for a special occasion?" or my favorite "If you hang on to that any longer I'll be forced to drink it myself then bash the fcuking thing over your pointy head "

No Regs, I'm sorry... If invited over to someone's place as it pertains to couples you definitely BYOB no matter what they say and might I suggest if it pertains to above type situation you bring the God sent 15 pack. Worst case scenario my friend, is your wife see's your vacant, glass eyed appearance and the fact you're now making sexual innuendoes to the host and her cat and halls your ass out of there early. What's the worst that can happen? You lose 5 or 6 beer? Who cares really, you're now on your way home early enough to perhaps catch the boys for a jar at the pub. You're probably also sleeping on the couch at this point anyway so at least the car ride home won't include your wife's fcuking recap of the whole blessed night and the inevitable words "we should do that again sometime."

Pass the potato salad please,

~KNVBYOB

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know the type, the Meads as I like to call them.

The ones I know are a very nice family, collectively very good looking, who would definitely just order up a keg for a party of 10 or more.

The "work acquaintances place for the proverbial dinner and drinks" situation is so true though. Almost as bad as being the tag along at a dinner party out with the wife's boss. Aside from being on "your best behavior", you're expected to be engaging and entertaining. And, laugh at all the jokes, but "don't tell any- please God- Mike, not the muffler joke. Anything but the muffler joke".

The dagger is when you laugh at the wrong joke, for example: the wife's boss orders up something special with his meal. Five star restaurant. The server- a knowledgeable yet obvious pot head Hawaiian surfer dude- apologizes, returns with the corrected plate, and states, "My apologies sir, we have retards in the kitchen."

Apparently laughing out loud at this, whilst covering one's nose with fine linen to catch the ejection of fine red wine, is frowned upon.

jaco

Jun 27, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone here *not* drink? I mean who's taking care of all your little ladies when you're all passed out drunk on Ikea Lesvik couch?

Notty

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Somebody define party.
Regs has a point...a social gathering with the mates is only one party that would justify taking home a 3/4 or full bottle of hard booze. Like after a footy match and numerous pints have been consumed after the game. (but none of us have done that before :rolleyes: )

That brings us to another point. A bottle of wine or two is a mandatory door gift when dinner or supplied booze is assumed. Granted drinks may be "Free"...but the unwritten party etiquette states that BYOB is proper!

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Allow me to be every bit as enlightening as Stew and KNVB, here it goes,

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah,
not to mention, but I will, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah.

Long story short, whatever booze you take to a "party" which you don't consume is left at the "party". No excuses. No exceptions. Watching a fight or a game (non-Superbowl, Grey Cup or Stanley Cup final) at a friend's house does not constitute a party. Cash bars at weddings are both an insult and a fcuking disgrace and one should always BYOB even if the host is "supplying" the booze.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hands of Stone said:
Ya!, I even left my fancy smancy beers at Jinks house after that big TTP SPL party a few years back, he brother even said, that they were too fancy for Jinks to drink. They get better with age.

hos

Fcuking fancy schmancy is right. I still have them although I am down to three of the original four. I gave Niall Thompson one before going to the Queens of the Stoneage concert and not only did he not want another, he couldn't finish the one I gave him. They have been in my fridge for what, two and a half years now? If they have survived my brother, they will never be consumed. HOS, you know you have visitation rights and the little fcukers do miss you. I've enclosed a photo taken today. Look how big they've gotten.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who is actually "insulted" by a cash bar wedding? Disappointed, OK; but "insulted"? Puh-leez. Probably the same people who think their own marriage is devalued when a gay couple weds too.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Concerning the cash-bar wedding thing...

Sometimes you have no choice when not born (or marrying) into the Bosa family (Hi Clarkey!) :D You have to do what you can. We had somewhat of a cash bar but provided a few bottles of wine per table plus each guest was given 3 tickets for drinks (beer or more wine)... it apparently worked out well because there were many tickets left over since the drinking crowd vastly out-numbered the non-drinkers.

Doing it this way enabled TTP to lower Premium Membership fees to $25 per year rather than raising them to $100.

Everybody wins :D

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky said:
HOS, you know you have visitation rights and the little fcukers do miss you. I've enclosed a photo taken today. Look how big they've gotten.

Oh the good old Ablbertans, you got to love the boys. Perhaps they will make it out to Nations Cup to visit me, I don't get down that way very often any more.

Thanks for the Laugh Jinks.

hos

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0