Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL Lockout

Who's side are on?

• Total voters

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
What are your thoughts?

Who's side are you on if any?

For me Fuk em both!

If u cant afford a Ferrari then dont buy a Ferrari! = owners

How much money is enough? = players

Gonna be a long winter

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Players are fully within their rights to not move an inch. They are being bullied my some American Franchise owners who can afford to put the game on pause because they don't want to compete with football and baseball right now for eyeballs on tvs and bums in seats.
They've done this to themselves. The players gave them a roll back last time and the escrow arrangement. The owners and gms then find the holes in a "foolproof" CBA and fcuk the bad Bettman franchises in the arse.
It rings hollow to hear guys like Craig Leipold cry poor after handing 200M in contracts to two above average non-superstar players.
Players negotiated current contracts in good faith and any rollback to their wages is unacceptable in my eyes.
I will never spend a dime of my own money ever again on the NHL if they lock the players out again. I will watch on tv, maybe- probably absolutely. I will go to games an buy beer and snacks but it will only be on my companies dime. These idiots can't run their own business properly. Too bad. Move the weak sauce franchises out of those markets if FLA CBJ PHX and others can't make a proper go of it.
Revenues have substantially grown and the contracts are tied to revenue. How can their business need "more cost certainty?" they just need to move those franchises to markets that can support them or cull them completely.
My $0.02 worth.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Holy crap the Leafs are gonna be good at golf! They've already been playing for like 6 months now!

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is pretty simple. None of the owners make their money on hockey. They made it (or inherited it) externally. An NHL franchise is an expensive toy that a good many of them lose money on. No season? Im sure our owner is kept up all night knowing that he'll have to rely on the earnings of Delaware North Holdings to make a go of it. And he's a guy who's making money on hockey, not losing it.

The players will cave. By fcuking off to Europe, they already are. We're going to lose a season (at least), because Fehr is so robotic in his stubbornness, but eventually the players will cave. Inevitable.

Its like the unions in this province whining about the salary freezes. You want huge benefits, huge salaries, tons of paid vacation, with about 75% of the workforce doing sweet **** all for 40 hours a week. Then you bitch when its unsustainable.

Here's an idea. We're bankrupt. Your job's gone. So is your pension. Oh yeah, we'll be back as ACME-whatever-we-used-to-be in about a week. Or however long it takes our lawyers to get us there. In any event, fcuk you.

Fcuk me our society needs the self-entitled knobs to be put in their place something awful. This includes Sidney Crosby and his 8 million a year to chase a puck.

Rant over.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
mtkb, the difference between this union and labour unions is that this workforce IS the product.

You cannot replace 600 of the World's Best Hockey players with scabs and then sell the product.

If the NHL won't pay them, other leagues will... The NHL has risk here, the risk is the KHL, Swedish Elite League and Swiss League etc.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How many days until we start hearing about a women's tournament being set-up with demands that the winner get the Stanley Cup?

:rolleyes:

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
i like in the province to day they talk about how the owners spending 200 million in new contracts right before the deadline. you made your bed gentlemen, lye in it. everyone talkes about how the players are paid to much, this isn't worth that amount of money , blah, blah, blah. a player is worth whatever some ass wants to pay him. if you don't want to spend so much money owners, stop paying the darcy tucker's of the world 3-4 million a year. it's millionaires arguing with billionaires. good thing the WHL is still playing.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, I thought Daly did a great job of responding to a fairly long cross-examination session...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
i dont know enough about it to say if its illogical or not.... these guys are both masters of comparing apples to oranges, and then accusing the other of doing same... I took Daly to mean that the questions had superficial appeal but didnt address any of the core issues...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Core issue is that the owners want more of a share of their revenues. The only way to communicate this logically to the players and public is this way: "We take all the risk and don't stand to make even a 50-50 share of the revenue" They don't want to say that because they will look "greedy"

The only non straw man argument is that the players get a 50-something (57%?) percent of gross revenues...which doesn't mean shite to the players because they have no say over the owners costs, overhead, profit, and margins.

The Players ARE the product, without them there is no markup/margin/profit to be made on video game licensing, beer, programs, sweaters, hats, PPV broadcasts, National and Regional TV deals, and most importantly Bums in Seats.

Without the Players the Owners have nothing...but the next 600 best players in the World. If this goes on long enough the Players could theoretically find new owners...the issue is that because most owners here domestically own the buildings suitable for play, thus the players have to go elsewhere (KHL, Sweden, Swiss A League, etc) to earn their living in "non salary cap" leagues.

The Pro-Owner way of looking at it is this, that $8 beer you buy, that's HRR (Hockey Related Revenue) and $4.56 of that money went to players salary budget payback before the Owner paid for the beer, the cup, the keg cooler, the training for the person to serve it, the person to serve it and the napkins they wrap it in and the associated overhead with taxes, lights, benefits, etc...

...Still to me it's a bad argument. The Margins in all aspects of what they do are way out of whack. Isn't it like $18 for a White Spot burger and fries at Rogers Arena? It's $10 at White Spot. 2 pieces of Boston Pizza at the Rog will get you a whole large three toppings at BP Proper. I know you can do all you eat and drink at the Jobbing.com arena for $40 but even that is high for the slop they serve there :p

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
except that at the end of the day, the owners could, theoretically, walk away without losing their shirts. could the players?

reference finding new owners - you think owners in a startup will be willing to give the players anything like 57% out of the gate?

the players are already splitting themselves by some of them going off to Europe at the first sign of trouble. what a huge sacrifice it must be for Joe Thornton and Rick Nash to make their tax free salaries across the pond... meanwhile a guy on league minimum sits at home making nothing... that's not gonna cause a civil war in the NHLPA, right?

the owners have em by the balls and they know it... the offer will keep getting worse and worse, until the players realize the corner they're in and cave... it isnt about right or wrong, its about bargaining power...

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Might sound stupid, but just getting my head around this. the 57% of league revenues that the players get, thats after they are paid salary correct? How does it work - does the 57% simply go to the Union and they divide it?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0