Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL in General.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree that the Hart should be true to the definition: "Most Valuable to his Team". But, as we know, it rarely goes that way. Theodore should win, but Iggy will. I won't be too distraught though...he had a phenomenal year, and he's Canadian too.:D

What a GREAT year for Canadian hockey! I'm sending my hockey loving buddy from L.A. a team Canada poster this week. It will be signed: "To Steve, WHO'S YOUR DADDY NOW? Lovingly, Canada."
:D :D :D

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Theodore ranked No. 1 by Goalies' World magazine for 2001-02 season

PIERRE LEBRUN

Montreal Canadiens goaltender Jose Theodore stretches out during a team practice. The Canadiens face the Bruins in Boston Thursday for the first game of their playoff series. (CP /Paul Chiasson)

(CP) - The honours keep rolling in for Jose Theodore. The rising star of the Montreal Canadiens was ranked the No. 1 goaltender in the NHL for the 2001-02 season by Goalies' World, a Quebec City-based magazine sold all over the world which focuses exclusively on goalies.

Theodore, who earlier this week was awarded the Roger Crozier Award for sporting the league's top save percentage at .931, was ranked ahead of Patrick Roy from the Colorado Avalanche and Nikolai Khabibulin of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

"I knew Jose had the talent but I didn't expect him to become so good so quickly," editor and publisher Gilles Moffet said from Quebec City on Wednesday. "He has done in Montreal this year what Dominik Hasek did for so many years in Buffalo."

The goalie rankings can be found in the April/May issue of Goalies' World, which has just hit newstands. Theodore, who was ranked 16th last year, is on the cover.

Evgeni Nabokov of the San Jose Sharks was ranked No. 4, followed by Martin Biron of the Buffalo Sabres, Sean Burke of the Phoenix Coyotes, Tommy Salo of the Edmonton Oilers, Hasek of the Detroit Red Wings, Roman Turek of the Calgary Flames and Martin Brodeur of the New Jersey Devils comes in at No. 10 after struggling in the first half.

Moffet says Theodore was ranked No. 1 after using comprehensive formula.

"Basically, it's a formula that takes into account save percentage, shots per game, number of games played, wins and shutouts. All the basic stats," he says. "The idea, initially, was to try to put out a fair ranking as possible with the idea being that goalies on better teams are usually overrated."

Theodore, 25, went 30-24-10 with a 2.11 goals-against average in 67 games for the offensively challenged Canadiens.

"You look at Theodore's stats, their just amazing," Moffet said. "A .931 save percentage. That's just incredible. Especially considering he had to win nearly every game down the stretch."

An excerpt from the cover story on Theodore explains the sudden success of the five-foot-11 Montreal native:

"Theodore's trademark is his aggressiveness. He does more than reacting or simply extending his arms and legs. He really moves toward the puck, not only on long-range shots but also on mid-range shots, which is unusual and somewhat revolutionary. ...

"Theodore's lateral game is excellent, partly due to the same and explosive quick starts. The word is to go upstairs on him but he is much tougher to beat there than two or three years ago because of his stance. He had to work hard at his stance to avoid being beat upstairs. He straightened his back and raised his glove. He also placed his blocker a little more to the side ..."

Theodore's breakthrough season has him in the running for both the Vezina Trophy for the league's top goalie and the Hart Trophy as NHL most valuable player. Jarome Iginla of the Calgary Flames, the NHL's leading scorer, is the favourite to win the Hart.

"I think he deserves the Vezina and the Hart although Patrick Roy did have another great year," Moffet said.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fair...

I think being biased is perfectly natural in this instance. More importantly, I think Quebec is universally acknowledged by the hockey community for producing traditionally excellent goalies so having the bible of goalkeeping come out of Quebec makes perfect sense to me. I'm not trying to be argumentative (much), keeper, me old punching bag, but had Penticton spawned more netminding talent than Andy Moog the publication could have come from the small interior town but, per capita, Quebec produces a huge number of top quality goalies.

Must be something in the poutine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0