Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL Hot Stove

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
zenga said:
I dont agree with the rule changes...If the GMs agree to make the pads smaller then why not make wooden sticks for the players manditory. With theses new sicks the shots are harder so the goalie needs all the protection he can get.
They're talking about making the pads less wide, not less thick. The protection will still be there, but the goalies will either have to move that extra inch to make the save or let another goal in.

zenga said:
As for the goalie handling the puck that is taking a skill away from the goalie, allow the goalie to play the puck but know he is fair game once outside the crease this would make the goalie think twice about coming out if he sees a player like Bertuzzi coming at in at full speed.
While your suggestion sounds good, it would just cause more problems. If a goalie is deemed fair game outside the net (or even just behind the net), every time he gets touched some teammate of his would drop his gloves to protect him the old fashioned way. He'd get two minutes for the instagation and we'd just run into a rash of power plays. Now maybe this might increase the goal count, but really . . . do fans really just want powerplay after powerplay? I think not.

Taking away their ability to play the puck behind the net will allow teams to forecheck more and generate further 5-on-5 scoring chances. In addition, the powerplays that already exist will become more potent than they have been. Maybe we'll even see more hits back there, too.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper said:
Taking away their ability to play the puck behind the net will allow teams to forecheck more and generate further 5-on-5 scoring chances. In addition, the powerplays that already exist will become more potent than they have been. Maybe we'll even see more hits back there, too.

I have to agree with Keeper here. Goalies are so good at playing the puck nowadays that the forecheck is almost nullified. Of course, the goaltenders in the NHL will all have a cry if this rule is instituted but I say do it. Who cares if the goalies can't express themselves to the fullest of their ability? Boo-fcuking-hoo. Let's get the swarming forechecking hockey going again. It's brilliant watching a team fly in across center, fire it in the corner and have the forwards pour in across the red line at warp speed with one thought on their mind. Get the damn puck! Keeps the D-men honest too. You don't want someone faint of heart having to stand up to a withering, all-out swarm session. The way it is now all the goalie has to do is stop the puck behind the net and fire back where it came from or backhand it behind him along the boards. Balls to that!

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look who is back...

Back in Ottawa: Senators sign Rob Ray

TSN.ca Staff

2/13/2004

The Ottawa Senators have signed free agent forward Rob Ray.

Senators' general manager John Muckler contacted Ray two weeks ago to inquire about the possibility of the out of work NHL tough guy returning to play.
Ray played only five games for the Senators last spring after being traded for future considerations from the Buffalo Sabres last March 10.
In 14 seasons with the Sabres, including the five games he played with Ottawa, the 35-year-old racked up 3,193 penalty minutes.
Ray was doing construction work by day, re-modelling homes, but has continued to skate and play some hockey in the area. Ray was also doing some radio and television work in Buffalo on Sabre broadcasts.

Well, he will make the Ottawa/Toronto battles a little bit more exciting!

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver v. Atlanta

I forgot to mention earlier. . . .

Did anyone else manage to catch that quick video feed on Friday night of Savard catching his breath on the bench after he scored? The camera goes in for the post-goal closeup and he vomits all down his jersey.

Too funny.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I did see that, it was a very long shift that he was on and an end to end skate for that goal. But are you sure it wasn't sport drink that he was just spitting out and it looked like vomit. Any way it wouldn't be the first time a guy has done that in a game.

hos

filling the net

Not Bright
Sep 29, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hands of Stone said:
I did see that, it was a very long shift that he was on and an end to end skate for that goal. But are you sure it wasn't sport drink that he was just spitting out and it looked like vomit. Any way it wouldn't be the first time a guy has done that in a game.

hos

I think he chucked his beans from the stank of sopel's grease ball do!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Domi

As much as i hate him, this was pretty funny.
Doug McLean is a whiny bitch. He's coaching grown men not kids.
Let them have a little fun, it was a joke.

Domi fined for stick-signing incident:

CBC SPORTS ONLINE - Tie Domi is paying, literally, for his latest autograph session.
The NHL has fined the forward and the Toronto Maple Leafs for Domi's stick-signing incident against the Columbus Blue Jackets, TSN reported on its website Sunday.

Domi apparently was fined $1,000 US while the Leafs were slapped with a $5,000 penalty.

The Blue Jackets were angry after Domi engaged in a little showmanship during Toronto's 4-1 win Thursday. After having a running battle all game with Columbus forward Jody Shelley, Domi pulled out a pen while on the Leaf bench, autographed a stick and then flipped it over the glass partition between the benches and towards Shelley.

"I think it showed disrespect to Jody Shelley, who is a legitimate NHL tough guy," Jackets general manager Doug MacLean told TSN. "I think it showed disrespect to our hockey team and I think it showed disrespect to the game.

"This is the NHL, not the WWF."

MacLean said he was so bothered by the incident that he called NHL vice-president Colin Campbell to voice his displeasure. He also put in a call into Toronto GM John Ferguson.

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is the player I wish the Canucks could have gotten. Gotta like the Senators chances to win the cup now.

Senators deal for Peter Bondra
TSN.ca Staff
2/18/2004

OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators announced they have acquired five-time all-star Peter Bondra from the Washington Capitals in exchange for Brooks Laich, playing with the Binghamton Senators of the American Hockey League (AHL), and the Senators' second round pick in the 2005 entry draft.

Bondra is in his 14th NHL season, all with the Washington Capitals, and the 36-year old native of Ukraine has 21 goals, including four game-winning goals, 14 assists, 20 penalty minutes in 54 games.

"This is an extremely difficult trade for the organization," vice president and general manager George McPhee said. "On the ice, Peter played his heart out for the Washington Capitals, and off the ice he had time for everyone. He has remained a humble man while living in the rarified environment of a star athlete. We worked hard to make sure that he went to a team that could win the Stanley Cup this year. We wish Peter and his family all the best."

"Peter Bondra deserves a chance to compete for a Stanley Cup, and I regret that we couldn't give him that opportunity in D.C. this year," Capitals majority owner Ted Leonsis said. "I know what he means to our fan base, but allowing him the opportunity to win a Cup is important. This was a difficult trade for me personally, and I can't say enough good things about Peter. It has been a joy to watch him play, and he always represented the Washington Capitals in a first-class manner. I hope he has continued success in Ottawa."

Bondra, the Capitals' eighth-round (156th overall) selection in the 1990 entry draft, also has seven multi-point games this season, including a hat-trick in a 5-3 win over Columbus on Nov. 29 and three assists in a 5-4 loss to the New York Islanders on Dec. 21. He missed four games from Dec. 31-Jan. 6 with a groin injury and one game with the flu against New Jersey on Jan. 17.

Earlier this season, Bondra reached the 800-point landmark with a goal on Nov. 24 at Detroit, making him the 28th active player to hit the plateau. He also became the 115th player in NHL history to attain 800 or more points in their career, and the 56th to accumulate at least 800 points with a single team (not necessarily their only team).

He leaves the Capitals as second on the club's all-time games played (961), but first for points (825), goals (472), power-play goals (137), game-winning goals (73), shorthanded goals (32) and hat tricks (19). Bondra ranks sixth in assists (353). He is just the fifth active player to score 400 career goals with one team (Jaromir Jagr, Mario Lemieux, Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman). Bondra holds Washington's record with 13 consecutive 20-goal seasons. Bondra has recorded two 50-goal season (52 in both 1995-96 and '97-98) and twice he has led the NHL in goals (1994-95, '97-98). He was first in Washington in goals eight times, more than any player in club history. Since 1993-94, only Jagr (433 goals, 20 in 2003-04) has more goals (394, 21 in 2003-04).

On the international scene, Bondra has represented Slovakia in four international tournaments, including the Olympics (1998), the World Cup (1996) and the World Championships (2002, 2003). At the 2002 World Championships, he helped Slovakia win a gold medal, leading the tournament in goals scored (7) while ranking third in points (9) in nine games played. In 2003, he again represented Slovakia and won a bronze medal after recording five points (3-2) in eight games.

Laich, in his first professional campaign, played one game with the Senators this season on an emergency recall against the New Jersey Devils (Feb. 3, 2-1 loss). The centre recorded two penalty minutes, one shot and 9:34 of ice-time through 14 shifts. In 44 games with the Binghamton Senators, Laich has 15 goals, 18 assists, 16 penalty minutes and a +3 rating. He missed 10 games with Binghamton due to mononucleosis from Dec. 5 to 28. The 20-year old native of Wawota, Sask. was the Senators sixth-round pick (193rd overall) in the 2001 NHL entry draft. Laich played his junior hockey with the Western Hockey League's Moose Jaw and Seattle franchises.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
WTF - Robert Lang a Wing?

Red Wings acquire Lang

TSN.ca Staff

2/27/2004
Red Wings have done it again. TSN has learned that Detroit has acquired centre Robert Lang from the Washington Capitals for Tomas Fleischmann, a first round pick in 2004 and a fourth round pick in 2006.
What are the Canucks waiting for? Let me guess, the price was too high once again.... :( :mad:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shoot the lame duck!

You know, you would think that, considering Burke's close ties to McPhee, and the fact that one would want to prevent Detroit from becoming even better, that the 'Nucks could have come up with a far superior package than this.

Fcuk him. Let him rot with his expiring contract, and let him move on to Boston, NY, or wherever that cnut is in demand. Steve Tambolini or Dave Noonis would have made a deal. Let's hope McCaw gives either one of them the shot next year. :mad:

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have just heard that colorado is very close to signing Gonchar and Kolzig. Also it looks like Jeff Oneil is packin up and heading to Tampa. What a joke.
As Colorado and Detroit are improving their already crazy line ups, the Canucks take a gm contract dispute and put it on the front burner on high.

Therapist

Sep 11, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kolzig is overated. I don't know why Col. would want pick him and his huge contract up.
As for Oneil, it would be nice to have him.
And I think it's more of the Vancouver media that is putting Bruke's contract issue on the front burner. Mind Burke isn't helping the matter, but the media just won't f@#$%^ stop. What do we expect, they are all maggots and weasels! :D

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just saw on TSN.CA that the stinking Habs have gotten Kovalev. They're even bettering themselves. :mad:

For the love of God Burke, better us.:(

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Saw an interview with McPhie in Washington explaining why they took Gonchar out of the lineup for tonight's game..................gotta be close now to making a deal and you have to think Colorado are the front runners :mad:

As for the Nucks we do need some help and it better come in the form of a good d-man.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hope Colorado get Kolzig and the Gonch. Aebischer is playing awesome this year with a rookie backing him up. Bringing in Kolzip would put more pressure on Aebischer and he could crumble under it. Kolzig looked shitty all year exceot in a few games. Gonchar isn't really a defender but more of an offensive force. their power play would be better but at even strength with the Gonch out there they would be more vulnerable. Escpecially if they give up Morris.

On th e Canuck front they need a defencemen and a winger. Is the defencman that they are going to get Jovanoski. Really that is what it could end up being. They seem pretty content with their top 6 of Salo,Ohlund,Sopel,jovo,allen and Malik. Who sits if they get another defenceman? Allen or Salo are really the only 2 choices on that list. Yes they could use a depth defencemen but where and when would he play. Baungartner has looked good the last few games and he could play for the Moose until needed.

As for a forward. What do they need. A hard nosed defemsive stopper. There about to get one in Lindgren when he's able to play again. It would be nice to get a grittty winger who can score but with Fedorov playing right now if he elevates his game he could be the big scoring winger they need. If they go get a winger it would seem to me they would have to trade one or two of the following players. Cooke,Ruutu,Keane,bouk,fedorov to aleviate numbers problems at wing.

If the playoffs started today and everyone was healthy here is a probable 12 forwards.

Nazzy,Morrison,Bertuzzi,Ruutu,Chubarov,May,Sedin,Sedin,Fedorov,Cooke,Lindgren,Linden

that leaves Keane,Bouck ,Reid, as your extra forwards. Your extra defender is Baumgartner. Can that lineup win regularly in the playoffs?

What price do you pay for another forward.

Anyway my 32 cents worth

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0