Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Captain for 07/08?

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think anyone would argue that Naslund was an underachiever this season and there have been whispers that suggest his return next year could be in question.

Without Naslund then, who would make a good choice for our next captain? Any new signings would be extremely unlikely to take the position so, who out of our current roster would do well?

Trevor Linden
Character-wise, no other choice would be better. As his playoffs showed, Trevor bleeds Canuck blue & white. His play and effort leads his team on the ice, but he's not a lock. At 37, any year could be his last. Would the club want to install a new captain that may not provide long-term stability? Would the Canucks want a captain who's not playing on the 1st or 2nd line?

Willie Mitchell
After his first year as a Canuck, Willie has proved to be a strong defenseman and by all accounts he's strong speaker as well. Perhaps those qualities can transfer to the locker room and can develop into our next leader.

Matt Cooke
No one can argue his motivational skills on the ice and he is outspoken, but could you really see a sh!t disturber as a captain?

The Sedins
They lead in scoring and are quickly developing into league scoring leaders; but I don't think anyone really sees either one of them as a source of team leadership both on and off the ice. They're Swedish and we all know how many Stanley Cups Swedish captains have won.

Mattias Ohlund
Too quiet. Mattias comes across as more of follower and besides, he's Swedish too.

Kevin Bieksa
Although he's a bit of a hot-head and he takes quite a few undiscplined penalties, he is still young may yet develop into a possible leader as he matures. If he can continue to grow and strengthen his game on the ice, look for Bieksa to don a letter on his jersey in the future.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I actually agree with Franchise on this one.

If they somehow movr Naslund or he retires (he may even ask to not be
Captain, that has happenned in the past)

However,

Mitchell is about the only choice that makes sense.

Linden is too old.
Sedins and Ohlund are too quiet and swedish.
Cooke is too whiney.
Bieksa is too young and inexperienced.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Roberto Luongo should be the Captain.... If it wasn't for him they would be shite!! Can a goalie be captain??

ZENYO

May 12, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
From Goaltenders who have served as NHL Captains.

Goaltenders who have served as NHL Captains
Currently, goaltenders are not allowed to be the captain of their National Hockey League club. In the past, there were four netminders to hold this distinction:
John Ross Roach, Toronto St. Patricks, 1924-25.
George Hainsworth, Montreal Canadiens, 1932-33.
Charlie Gardiner, Chicago Black Hawks, 1933-34.
Bill Durnan, Montreal Canadiens, 1947-48.

Willie Mitchell is the logical choice...

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, hypothetically then, jackass. What IF he weren't back? Or what about down the road?

So this is a hypothetical thread:confused:

So hypothetically waht would have happened if Loungo shite himself in the net.....would they have made it to OT:confused:

Mitchel is terriable......Linden would get it for sure, not even a subject really

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why the fcuk would you make Linden the captain and then have to make a new captain 1 year later when he retires?!!?

Mitchell will be the next captain, though I don't think it will be this upcoming year unless Naslund leaves for whatever reason.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why the fcuk would you make Linden the captain and then have to make a new captain 1 year later when he retires?!!?

Mitchell will be the next captain, though I don't think it will be this upcoming year unless Naslund leaves for whatever reason.

Are you for real Mitchel won't EVER be the captain of the Canucks....point blank.

Who cares anyway Naslund will be the captain next year and will probabley score 2 more goals then this year.

Here is something....who will the Canucks sign in the offseason....my moneys on Jason Blake!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Of the current crop, Bieksa.

Too young has been stated...how old was Linden when first named? 19 wasn't it, when he shared it w/ Smyl? 24 when they went to the finals?

Bieksa not only leads by example, but he'll lead w/ his fists. He is old school, but can skate w/ the new school. The dumb penalties will be tempered in time, but it is the competitiveness that I love.

Nazzy, for me, has never been Captain material. He seems to accept losing to easily. Bieksa is a very sore and nasty loser. His best games always seem to be after a loss.

I think they will find a way to move Naslund out. He'll have to waive his no-trade, but the formula doesn't fit for this team right now. Move him for prospects, and use the cash to sign Ryan Smyth. There's your next Captain.

~Dude- armchair GM

PS: I fourth.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nazzy, for me, has never been Captain material. He seems to accept losing to easily.
Absolutely agree.
I think they will find a way to move Naslund out. He'll have to waive his no-trade, but the formula doesn't fit for this team right now. Move him for prospects, and use the cash to sign Ryan Smyth. There's your next Captain.
That'd be sweet.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0