Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NBA Draft 2002

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone know that the draft is today? The first overall pick by the Rockets looks to be Fat country's replacement. Yao, Ming (China) A 7'5" 296 pound Centre. Truly a site for sore eyes and a definite possibility of becoming Captain of Captain Shamrocks 2002 NBA All Mug team.

A few of the picks that I've heard rumour to that will happen are J. Williams from Duke to go to the Bulls and Golden State to take young Dunlavey(sp), but it's suggested that the Grizzlies are very much interested in re- uniting Battier and Dunlavey(sp) in Memphis. Look for Stromile Swift a another fantastic pick by Grizz management to be moved today. So much for the future. :rolleyes:

The order for first-round picks is as follows:
1. Houston Rockets
2. Chicago Bulls
3. Golden State Warriors
4. Memphis Grizzlies
5. Denver Nuggets
6. Cleveland Cavaliers
7. New York Knicks
8. LA Clippers (from Atlanta)
9. Phoenix Suns
10. Miami Heat
11. Washington Wizards
12. LA Clippers
13. Milwaukee Bucks
14. Indiana Pacers
15. Houston Rockets (from Toronto)
16. Philadelphia 76ers
17. Washington Wizards (from New Orleans)
18. Orlando Magic
19. Utah Jazz
20. Toronto Raptors (from Seattle via New York)
21. Portland Trail Blazers
22. Phoenix Suns (from Boston)
23. Detroit Pistons 1
24. New Jersey Nets
25. Denver Nuggets (from Dallas)
26. San Antonio Spurs
27. LA Lakers
28. Sacramento Kings

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hold on. Hold on. NBA Draft? Oh wait, nobody cares about a bunch of high school kids and mutants whining about how they get no respect and then signing contracts for millions of dollars. The NBA is a joke of a league.

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
clearing the air

Not sure what you mean there Knob, but the NBA is needs to address some problems. I have nothing against basketball. College ball is one of the more enjoyable forms of entertainment to watch, and with greater parity on the international level (or at least American indifference) the World Championships and Olympics provide excitement. Lower scoring and the inability to enforce rules - not only travelling, but the hacking and special treatment that marquee players seem to receive - mean that the games are increasingly boring to watch with the better team on any given night not necessarily getting the result. I can't stand people who say basketball is only exciting to watch in the last two minutes. These are people that don't watch and understand the complexities of the game. All I am saying is that I, along with a lot of other people, find the NBA less and less a major sport that is worth watching.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry Power maybe if I threw in a one of these ( :rolleyes: ) it may have helped :rolleyes:

So, If I get you right, you would rather see Canada's J.V. squad take on a team from Zaire in a half court/zone style defensive battle? Yeeeaaaaah Canada. :rolleyes: Come on....

Back to the draft

1 Houston Yao Ming, C, Shanghai Sharks
2 Chicago Jay Williams, G, Duke
3 Golden State Mike Dunleavy, G/F, Duke
4 Memphis Drew Gooden, F, Kansas
5 Denver Nikoloz Tskitishvili, F, Italy
6 Cleveland Dajuan Wagner, G, Memphis
7 New York Maybyner "Nene" Hilario, F/C, Brazil
(Rights traded to Denver)
8 L.A. Clippers (from Atlanta) Chris Wilcox, F, Maryland
9 Phoenix Amare Stoudemire, F, Cypress Creek HS (Fla.)
10 Miami Caron Butler, F, Connecticut
11 Washington Jared Jeffries, F, Indiana
12 L.A. Clippers Melvin Ely, F/C, Fresno State
13 Milwaukee Marcus Haislip, F, Tennessee
14 Indiana Fred Jones, G, Oregon
15 Houston (from Toronto) Bostjan Nachbar, F, Italy
16 Philadelphia Jiri Welsch, G, Slovenia
(Rights traded to Golden State)
17 Washington (from New Orleans) Juan Dixon, G, Maryland
18 Orlando Curtis Borchardt, C, Stanford
(Rights traded to Utah)
19 Utah Ryan Humphrey, F, Notre Dame
(Rights traded to Orlando)
20 Toronto (from Seattle via New York) Kareem Rush, G, Missouri
(Rights traded to L.A. Lakers)
21 Portland Qyntel Woods, G/F, Northeast Mississippi CC
22 Phoenix (from Boston) Casey Jacobsen, G/F, Stanford
23 Detroit Tayshaun Prince, F, Kentucky
24 New Jersey Nenad Krstic, F/C, Yugoslavia
25 Denver (from Dallas) Frank Williams, G, Illinois
(Rights traded to New York)
26 San Antonio John Salmons, G/F, Miami
27 L.A. Lakers Chris Jefferies, F, Fresno State
(RIghts traded to Toronto)
28 Sacramento Dan Dickau, G, Gonzaga

Looks like the Bulls got the sweet pick of the draft. A point guard in my opinion who can jump right in and play next year. I predict Ming will be a project similar to Fat Country Reeves and screw the Rockets with a big giant salary with 5 mins per game and then dump them like last nights meat loaf and head back to China after his four/five years are up.

If anyone cares the Grizzles picked up Drew Gooden, from Kansas. I hate the Jay Hawks more than I hate the Grizzles so I refuse to watch them..

As a junior, led Kansas to the 2002 NCAA Final Four.
Led the Big 12 in scoring (19.8 ppg, 43rd in nation) and rebounding (11.4 rpg, fourth in nation).
His 734 points and 423 rebounds rank him sixth and second, respectively, on Kansas’ single-season lists.
Set a Kansas and Big 12 single-season record with 25 double-doubles, while leading the Jayhawks in scoring 20 times and in rebounding on 28 occasions.
Led team and finished third in Big 12 with 1.8 steals per game.

Gooden

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really like the Clippers' picks. I have been following Melvyn Ely's progress over the last 2 years with Tark the Shark and he has all the tools to be a very good power forward in the NBA. At 6'10", he could also play the small forward roll on a solid Clippers' front line.......

I'm glad that only one high school kid was drafted. Hopefully, this will deter future punks from coming out of school too early.

I see Utah drafted another fundamentally sound white guy....:rolleyes:

As for the Grizzlies, don't even post shite about them KNVB. They are shite and always will be shite, in my eyes.

Here are the round 2 selections......

30. Golden State (21-61) Steve Logan, g, Cincinnati
31. Chicago (21-61) Roger Mason Jr., g, Virginia
32. Memphis (23-59) Robert Archibald, f-c, Duke
33. Denver (27-55) Vincent Yarbrough, f, Tennessee
34. Milwaukee from Houston (27-55) Dan Gadzuric, f-c, UCLA
35. Cleveland (29-53) Carlos Boozer, f, Duke
36. New York (30-52) Milos Vujanic, f, Partizan Belgrade (Yugoslavia)
37. Atlanta (33-49) David Andersen, c-f, Kinder Bologna (Italy)
38. Houston from Miami (36-46) Tito Maddox, g, Fresno State
39. Washington from Phoenix (36-46) via Denver Rod Grizzard, f, Alabama
40. Washington (37-45) Juan Carlos Navarro, g, FC Barcelona (Spain)
41.* LA Clippers (39-43) Mario Kasun, c, Opel Skyliners (Germany)
42. Milwaukee (41-41) Ronald Murray, g, Shaw
43. Portland from Toronto (42-40) via Chicago Jason Jennings, g, Oregon
44. Chicago from Indiana (42-40) Lonny Baxter, f, Maryland
45. Philadelphia (43-39) Sam Clancy, f, USC
46.** Memphis from Orlando (44-38) Matt Barnes, f, UCLA
47.*** Utah (44-38) Jamal Sampson, f/c, California
48.**** Milwaukee from Orlando (44-38) Chris Owens, f, Texas
49. Seattle (45-37) Peter Fehse, f, Halle (Germany)
50. Boston (49-33) Darius Songaila, f, Wake Forest
51. Portland (49-33) Federico Kammerichs, f, Ferro Carril Oeste (Argentina)
52. Minnesota (50-32) Marcus Taylor, g, Michigan State
53. Miami from Detroit (52-30) via Toronto and Houston Rasual Butler, f, La Salle
54. New Jersey (52-30) Tamar Slay, g-f, Marshall
55. Dallas (57-25) Mladen Sekularac, g-f, FMP Zeleznik (Yugoslavia)
56. San Antonio from L.A. Lakers (58-24) Luis Scola, f, Tau Ceramica (Spain)
57.***** San Antonio (58-24) Randy Holcomb, f, San Diego State
58. Sacramento (61-21) Corsley Edwards, f, Central Connecticut State

It must have been a very poor draft, especially with all the foreign picks.......

I don't think much of Boozer but I thought he would be drafted higher than he was.....

Go Celtics.......:rolleyes:

NBA Draft? Oh wait, nobody cares about a bunch of high school kids and mutants whining about how they get no respect and then signing contracts for millions of dollars. The NBA is a joke of a league.

You're absolutely right, The Power. Generally, players in the league are fcuking cokcsucking cnuts.......

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, If I get you right, you would rather see Canada's J.V. squad take on a team from Zaire in a half court/zone style defensive battle? Yeeeaaaaah Canada. Come on....

Did you watch the Sydney Olympics? How could you call them a defensive team. What I am saying is that watching the NBA is no longer exciting. Players who can't shoot outside dumping it down low to players that walk backwards and use their bulk to foul anyone behind them. THIS IS NOT ENTERTAINMENT. That's not to say that there aren't flashes of brilliance in the league, led by a Canadian no less, but for the most part the NBA game lacks excitement and intensity.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Capitano,

The move of the night was by the Knicks, who got a legit All-Star PF (eastern conference standards) in McDyess and a very underrated rookie PG in Frank Williams. Camby is broken down and Jackson never really had a good go his second time 'round in Yonkers. Spree, Houston and Dice should be more than enough for a Knick return to the playoffs.

Dickau got the shaft, but then got a blessing by going to Atlanta. Hello, minutes. He should beat Jaque Vaughn out of the starting spot by mid-November. Go white boy, go white boy, go.

Melvin Ely is a very good pick. I figured he'd be swiped by the Bucks at 13 as he is one of the few draftees who can make an immediate impact on the team he goes to. Methinks the Clips will make at least one deal as the PF position now includes Ely, Wilcox and Brand. That's too much talent at one spot.

Its a changing of the guard in the NBA as nearly 1/3 of the top 15 picks were players born outside the US of A. Kenny Smith called it a "wakeup call" for American Basketball.

As for other deals to watch - the Cavs will probably move Andre Miller with the drafting of DaJuan Wagner. The move will probably include the Clips who now have an influx of front-court talent, something Cleveland desperately needs.

Utah traded for Borchardt. They were really searching for the next Mark Eaton/Greg Ostergag/Olden Polynice, and I think they got him. I don't like this guy at all. Now his Stanford teammate, Casey Jacobsen - what a bird! That's some impressive stuff right there.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I also think the Raptors should have held onto Rush, a sleeper pick who basically fell into their laps. Giving him up for Lindsay Hunter is retarded on a variety of levels, the main one being the fact that Hunter is basically no better a scoring guard than Rush will most likely be, and he's old. And annoying. I'm still pissed about him ruining the Bucks run to the finals two years ago.

Good pick by Jerry West. He'll keep Gooden around and trade Stro, which will probably net him a decent PG to give White Chocolate a run for the starting spot. I think they were secretly hoping Dickau would last 'till their #32 spot, but he went a bit early. Still, they're in good shape. The Battier-Gooden-Gasol nucleus is as good as any in the NBA.

The "KiKi" reign in Denver hit an all-new low today, as he desperately tried to play "Hey, try to forget our coach called a fan a stupid fcuking Mexican" by going United Nations and taking a Georgian and a Brazilian with the #5 and #7 picks. This ensures the Nuggets will be bad for another 3-4 years. Although a frontcourt with Camby and Howard will at least get them somewhat competitive for a year or two. After that, it's gonna be ugly in Denver.

Burnsie, what do you think of Mike Dunleavy? Can you put aside his lack of melatin and realize he could be the best player this class produces? The next Larry Bird? Or the next Tom Gugliotta?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thumbs up for this white guy

Sensei,

I think Dunleavy is a great player. He has all the tools to be a great player in the NBA. He is an extremely smart player who can adjust to any type of game. I am a little concerned about his physical build. I know he will put some pounds on but he is very thin and will likely be thrown around a lot in his first couple of years. If his body can withstand this, he will have a great career.

Go white guy, go........

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: clearing the air

Originally posted by The Power
Not sure what you mean there Knob, but the NBA is needs to address some problems. I have nothing against basketball. College ball is one of the more enjoyable forms of entertainment to watch, and with greater parity on the international level (or at least American indifference) the World Championships and Olympics provide excitement. Lower scoring and the inability to enforce rules - not only travelling, but the hacking and special treatment that marquee players seem to receive - mean that the games are increasingly boring to watch with the better team on any given night not necessarily getting the result. I can't stand people who say basketball is only exciting to watch in the last two minutes. These are people that don't watch and understand the complexities of the game. All I am saying is that I, along with a lot of other people, find the NBA less and less a major sport that is worth watching.

The big thing the NBA needs to harness is the way college basketball is falling behind European basketball in terms of grooming players for the professional game.

Yesterday's draft made it painfully obvious that the European system, where college-age kids are playing in a professional atmosphere, is preparing draftees to make a more immediate impact on the NBA. Kids coming out of US high schools, or freshman and sophs making the premature jump, may pay off dividends down the road but the immediate gains are minimal. You can look no further than the brutal year Kwame Brown had in Washington to see that preparation and learning proper fundamentals are crucial to making a successful career in the NBA.

I read a Washington Post article about Brown's rookie year. After growing up in a small community and being a virtual hero in his town (the prototypical "big fish in a small pond"), he came to the NBA with several adjustment issues. He didn't know how to cook his own meals. He'd never slept in a house by himself. He'd never gotten a proper drivers license. He was too young to hang out with older players and go to clubs, etc. Compounded with his on-court problems, it made for a disaster of a rookie season.

The question then becomes - do you blame the player for coming out of high school, or the league for throwing such a ridiculous amount of money at 18-year old kid?

Look at Tony Parker of San Antonio. Basically the same age, but has been playing professionally since the age of 15 and learned little things, like travelling, living with older teammates, intense practices and so on. He learned his trade and then made the jump, not the other way around.

This is something the NBA and NCAA both have to take a serious look at.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0