Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[MWSL Premier] Predictions, Results & Banter - Sept '06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
How the hell can you only have 8 players at this point in the season? Unless you didn't have enough players to start with. Three weeks in and we have had one default, two cancellations, and one undermanned upset. (I'll cut Surrey some slack because they can't take any risks before nationals, and frankly they've earned it.)

This doesn't look good on the League. I wonder if the League even cares.

Hey Choker. 8 players is enough to play. The ref didn't make them play?

choker

Sep 23, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard said:
How the hell can you only have 8 players at this point in the season? Unless you didn't have enough players to start with. Three weeks in and we have had one default, two cancellations, and one undermanned upset. (I'll cut Surrey some slack because they can't take any risks before nationals, and frankly they've earned it.)

This doesn't look good on the League. I wonder if the League even cares.

Hey Choker. 8 players is enough to play. The ref didn't make them play?

they had 7 and the goalie. i thought you needed 8 and a goalie.. ?? but correct me if i'm wrong.

maybe they just didn't wanna play us ha

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
choker said:
they had 7 and the goalie. i thought you needed 8 and a goalie.. ?? but correct me if i'm wrong.

You are wrong choker. ;) They only need 7 total, but I'm sure after getting spanked 10-0 with 10 bodies they didn't want to play another blowout with only 8.

My question is why was Norvan allowed to keep a team in Premier after pretty much their entire squad defected and became West Van? :confused:

So the two "new" teams in the league (Norvan and Trinity) have either forfeited, postponed, or been blown out in their last two games each. Nice to see that they're competitive. :rolleyes:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nutmegs is right. They should have been forced to play. Not much fun for anyone, but if the League's going to let the teams in then they gotta be forced to play.

I was all in favour of opening Premier up to anyone that wants to step up. I think there's enough talent out there in terms players to make a competitive League, even if there are 2-3 teams that are clearly heads-and-shoulders, but that's the norm in any league, and it gives the other team something to strive for.

The problem is that there are no standards. The MWSL has to evaluate these teams before they join. A roster of 11 players should be submitted with some indication of the playing experience of those players. I doubt this was done. And if it was, I'd be questioning the evaluation process or the legitimacy of what the clubs put forward.

Also, the talent in the management/coaching ranks hasn't kept up with the on-field talent. There are too many people, who have all the right intentions, but not the wherewithall to run a Premier side the way it needs to be done (a la Surrey, UBC Peg or Coquitlam). Premier teams are not 'rec' teams. They are still social teams, but they are and should be ultra-competitive. There's also thoe people with their own agendas and others who claim to be 'experts' but in reality haven't got a clue. (Many might lump me into the latter!:D)

Say what you want about the PCSL, but I still think it is more competitive and of a higher standard than the MWSL. The MWSL may have the better players (Whitecaps and National team players), but they don't have the quality of club the PCSL demands. Until the MWSL starts demanding their teams live up to some level of quality, then this is the kind of thing we're going to see. Which is mind-boggling when you consider the player pool available these days.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SBAA Ajax Selects should be brought up......they will be able to compete with most teams and give them a good game.....better than the current state...........disgraceful actually..........3 teams miles above the others and now two teams who apparently aren't even good enough for Selects......:(

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
alikira said:
SBAA Ajax Selects should be brought up......they will be able to compete with most teams and give them a good game.....better than the current state...........disgraceful actually..........3 teams miles above the others and now two teams who apparently aren't even good enough for Selects......:(
SBAA Ajax probably would be a better fit for premier since they are now pretty much the old SBAA premier side that got demoted a couple years back.

I heard rumours that Trinity didn't even want to join premier - they wanted to be a Div. 1 or 2 side, but the only division that had room was premier. :rolleyes: Seems similar to the Semi team a few years back that was forced to play premier (despite wanting to be in a lower division) and was shellacked each game.

You gotta love this league. About 8 or 9 years ago (God, I'm old :eek: ) the current 3-time provincial champs wanted to form their own team and join premier with about 10-11 former SFU players, but we were forced to play a season in Div. 1. And they even threatened to start us in Div. 3 and work our way up if we kept complaining about it!!

BTW, Coquitlam and Surrey both got their games postponed this weekend (Thank God!! - 6 games in 8 days is crazy!!). So their opponents (West Van and Richmond) will now play each other.

Also if you're looking for the game times for Nationals they are finally posted on the Canada Soccer website. I can't believe we had to wait until one week before the tourney to get the game times and fields - thank God I'm on holidays and not trying to work around my work schedule!!:wa:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SBAA Ajax probably would be a better fit for premier since they are now pretty much the old SBAA premier side that got demoted a couple years back

The Ajax we played were VERY young. I'm pretty sure it is the same core........

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
[/SBAA Ajax probably would be a better fit for premier since they are now pretty much the old SBAA premier side that got demoted a couple years back
QUOTE]
Alikira and Nutmegs you are both right about SBAA. But having what I believe is inside knowledge the coaches have stated that they want there team to be totally prepared when they go into premier. By this I mean they don't want to come in to premier and be like the other 5 teams that aren't apart of the big 3 and just be there for say status quo. As Alikira has stated they are a young team and when they do make the jump to premier they want to compete with the big 3.They don't want to be there just to say they are a premier team and be welcome dormats to be beaten bad, like say Norvan is doing now.IMO I agree with how SBAA is nurturing this team and I do see the benefits to there program.The problems with most teams that come into premier women's is they don't have a solid foundation to start with! You should all know the answer to what happen's to a house without a solid foundation to start with?Anyways that's my 2 cents and would just like to say good luck to Surrey United at Nationals. What's the saying "3rd time is Gold"!:D

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cheering for Coquitlam next week at Nats, but regardless, I hope BC brings home the gold (for the first time since '01).

I don't know if the draw allows for it, but maybe an all-BC final?

That would be cool.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
FB, yes it is quite possible that it could be all BC final. Coquitlam is in group A while Surrey is in Group C.There are the 3 group winners advancing with the next second best team from any one group.Winner of group A vs the second best team in one semi and the winner of Group B vs winner of Group C in the other semi.As much as I like Jimmy Holiday, my alliances are with Surrey and I honestly hope the third time there is a charm!;)

Whatever

Sep 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Conductor said:
FB, yes it is quite possible that it could be all BC final. Coquitlam is in group A while Surrey is in Group C.There are the 3 group winners advancing with the next second best team from any one group.Winner of group A vs the second best team in one semi and the winner of Group B vs winner of Group C in the other semi.As much as I like Jimmy Holiday, my alliances are with Surrey and I honestly hope the third time there is a charm!;)

It would be nice if there was an all BC final but will Surrey be able to have a full roster that includes their National team players?

If there was an all BC final it will be revenge for the Coquitlam team who have lost to Surrey for the last two years in the Provincials.

What are your thoughts Nutmegs and Fat Bastard?

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whatever said:
It would be nice if there was an all BC final but will Surrey be able to have a full roster that includes their National team players?

If there was an all BC final it will be revenge for the Coquitlam team who have lost to Surrey for the last two years in the Provincials.

What are your thoughts Nutmegs and Fat Bastard?

Welcome to TTP Whatever.

All I have to say on the matter is that there are a lot of games that have to be played before an all-BC final happens.

Women's soccer has improved alot over the years and the tourney is much more competitive than it used to be. Except for Yukon, of course. :rolleyes: But hey if it wasn't for the Yukon deciding to play in Nationals just because it's on the west coast, we wouldn't even be having this discussion about an all-BC final. ;)

Let's move any discussion about Nats to the thread that Regs created for the tourney.

BTW what's with the font?!? My eyes are killing me!! :D

Whatever

Sep 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
nutmegs said:
Welcome to TTP Whatever.

All I have to say on the matter is that there are a lot of games that have to be played before an all-BC final happens.

Women's soccer has improved alot over the years and the tourney is much more competitive than it used to be. Except for Yukon, of course. :rolleyes: But hey if it wasn't for the Yukon deciding to play in Nationals just because it's on the west coast, we wouldn't even be having this discussion about an all-BC final. ;)

Thanks for the welcome, Nutmegs! I am a first time TTPer and still trying to figure it out. Thanks for your patience.

I totally agree that women's soccer has totally improved over the last several years but it is frustrating to deal with the league for decisions and reasoning for things. For example, on-line registration was delayed by several weeks and given to us a few days before the season starts. Why didn't they set this up months ago? Yet, we have to adhere to their deadline of September 21 for on-line registration.

Ragarding the teams that have be thrown together virtually at the last minute, what was somebody thinking? I totally agree with FB, that if a team wants to enter that they have a "resume" of each player.

The Premier went through 4 differnt teams the past 2 years. Can't they gain a little control over that?

Nutmegs, I still would like to see an all BC team final in the Nats. Don't you?

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am sure Nutmegs would like a Surrey vs Yukon final. But alas, not likely.;) And after the big win on Saturday, is their coach going to be in any shape to coach this week,:p

As for this past weekend, couldn't help but notice yet another suspicious scoreline ... 6-1 for Norvan over TW Titans. I hate to sound like a jerk, but if Norvan can pop 6 (or more) past the Titans, then what is one of the Big 3 going to do to them. Oy. :(

Well done on this one MWSL.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0