Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[MWSL Premier] Predictions, Results & Banter - Sept '06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [MWSL Premier] 2006 Preseason Rumours and Banter

Disappointing that 'Pegasus" Alumni couldn't field a team for the first game of the season. :(

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Another case where the Operating Rules don't count. Peg didn't give 10 days notice. And I am fairly certain that the postponement was arranged between the two teams.

It doesn't bode well when a team of this stature can't get enough players to have a go on the opening weekend. Coquitlam should have taken the 3 points. They probably wanted to be the 'good sports', but I just think we need to hold the team to a higher standard at this level.

Anyhow, so much for my Friday night plans.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Fat Bastard said:
Another case where the Operating Rules don't count. Peg didn't give 10 days notice. And I am fairly certain that the postponement was arranged between the two teams.

It doesn't bode well when a team of this stature can't get enough players to have a go on the opening weekend. Coquitlam should have taken the 3 points. They probably wanted to be the 'good sports', but I just think we need to hold the team to a higher standard at this level.

Anyhow, so much for my Friday night plans.

You have to remember, FB........the league rules usually only apply to the rest of the league. The Premier league has a special set of rules. This is no knock on the teams by the way...........

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside upset Surrey 2-0! Didn't see that one coming. Is Slurrey saving itself for Nats?

Also a little surprised at the 5-0 score in the battle of 'expansion' teams. (And of course, was it really 5-0 - or was it just an "MWSL 5-0"?)

Funbox

Jun 15, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
FB,
The Renegades are made up of 95% of the Norvan team from last year, also a few Poco girls thrown into the mix [great game from you guys yesterday by the way...happy to have you] and Yes, it was a MWSL 5-0...actual score was 9-0.The current Norvan team is their u-21 team from last year. I think the Trinity Titans are definatley going to have a tough time this season, with saying that, we did have some great ball movement in the fist half and some cracker goals.

NOW onto more important things...WTF happened in the Surrey game....nutmegs? any comments?

k-vale7

Sep 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funbox said:
NOW onto more important things...WTF happened in the Surrey game....nutmegs? any comments?

Yes, do tell.
:cool:

torontoblowsgoatsmustgetbacktothebeautifullandofsurrey.

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funbox said:

Saw some of the game. Surrey was missing their Nat team players and Nutmegs, but Westside deserves some credit since they are a lot stronger than they were last season and had some good shots on net and played the ball around well.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Welcome Wagon said:
Saw some of the game. Surrey was missing their Nat team players and Nutmegs, but Westside deserves some credit since they are a lot stronger than they were last season and had some good shots on net and played the ball around well.

Yeah, I don't have much to say on the game since I wasn't there - too busy surfing in Tofino.:) I only have second-hand information but the team played with 10 players (including one Selects team member who had already played 90 mins that morning). Besides myself and the National players, we were also missing two starters with injuries and of course the biggest missing piece of the puzzle k-vale7 ;) who we will be without for the entire season - damn Toronto!!:mad:

Unlike a certain team who somehow got their game cancelled due to a lack of players, SU management decided to be fair to Westside and field as much of a team as we could. ;)

It was only the first game of the year and I'm sure Coquitlam can agree after their loss last year to Norvan that the first game doesn't mean the season is lost.

To be fair, I must say congrats to Westside on the victory and their team is not the same group as last year so everyone should be aware of them.

choker

Sep 23, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tofino! Must be nice...
Are the national players going to be away the majority of the season? I heard something like that ..

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
choker said:
Tofino! Must be nice...
Are the national players going to be away the majority of the season? I heard something like that ..

The National Team is going to a residence training program where they will all be living in Vancouver and training almost every day. So our players might not be as available as we would like but it's not that much different than it's been in the past - they'll come out whenever it's possible.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now, here's the problem. If we're to take League play seriously, and if winning the League is going to count for something (top seed in BC's or what have you), then you can't have one team rescheduling and others not.

UBCPeg couldn't field a competitive team and thus rescheduled. As part of Surrey FC, they have a whole youth system to fall back on - nevermind the fact they tried to get Coquitlam youth players to come up as well. (That's cheeky by the way.) Surely they could have dressed 9-10 players?

Surrey on the other hand, was forced to play without all its national team players (Hermus, Schmidt, Franko, Allen, etc.), as well K-Vale, Megs and Maglio. Yet they made every effort to fill the gaps, and even with a short roster still came out and made a game of it.

But in the end, Surrey loses three points and UBC gets a reprieve. Doesn't quite seem fair.

Kudos to Surrey (never thought I'd say that) for doing the right thing.

Funbox

Jun 15, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard said:
Now, here's the problem. If we're to take League play seriously, and if winning the League is going to count for something (top seed in BC's or what have you), then you can't have one team rescheduling and others not.

UBCPeg couldn't field a competitive team and thus rescheduled. As part of Surrey FC, they have a whole youth system to fall back on - nevermind the fact they tried to get Coquitlam youth players to come up as well. (That's cheeky by the way.) Surely they could have dressed 9-10 players?

Surrey on the other hand, was forced to play without all its national team players (Hermus, Schmidt, Franko, Allen, etc.), as well K-Vale, Megs and Maglio. Yet they made every effort to fill the gaps, and even with a short roster still came out and made a game of it.

But in the end, Surrey loses three points and UBC gets a reprieve. Doesn't quite seem fair.

Kudos to Surrey (never thought I'd say that) for doing the right thing.

Completley agree. Definate kudos to Surrey for playing it through.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any reports on the weekend's games. No surprises. Two '5-0' scores, which of course always make you wonder.

First big match up of the season on Friday, Surrey at Coquitlam. Wonder if these two National-bound sides will take it easy on each other, or if the rivalry will be just as heated as usual.

Should see a huge crowd at Charles Best. Always do with Mags playing AGAINST the club that employs her.

footybally

Jan 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside adds another quality side this year to things along with the Renegades. Both teams look to be better quality sides this year; Westside over Renegades 3-1, although I was told the Renegades were missing a good chunk of their starting lineup to injuries/other commitments as seems to be the case with a lot of the teams this year. Will be interesting to see how everything pans out this year with probably 5 sides capable of beating each other on any given day. Nice to finally see.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
footybally said:
Westside adds another quality side this year to things along with the Renegades. Both teams look to be better quality sides this year; Westside over Renegades 3-1, although I was told the Renegades were missing a good chunk of their starting lineup to injuries/other commitments as seems to be the case with a lot of the teams this year. Will be interesting to see how everything pans out this year with probably 5 sides capable of beating each other on any given day. Nice to finally see.

At the end, it will be the usual 3.........

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard said:
Any reports on the weekend's games. No surprises. Two '5-0' scores, which of course always make you wonder.

Our game was one of those 5-0 scores but Norvan only had 10 players (two of which showed up right at kick-off) and definitely not a regular keeper so you can just imagine what the score ended up. It's too bad cause it would have been nice to have a semi-competitive game prior to playing Coquitlam this Friday. But again at least Norvan kept to their obligation and attempted to field a team. I would have been really choked if we all got there at 9:15am only to have them forfeit.

Fat Bastard said:
First big match up of the season on Friday, Surrey at Coquitlam. Wonder if these two National-bound sides will take it easy on each other, or if the rivalry will be just as heated as usual.

Should see a huge crowd at Charles Best. Always do with Mags playing AGAINST the club that employs her.

It should be a good match although I don't think it's possible for these two teams to take it easy on each other but with Nationals just over a week away you never know. We have a few injuries and a few players that will be available for Nationals but not Friday night. I think that if both teams were able to field their best squads some might see it as a preview of the National final.

BTW, Mags may not be able to play due to injury but I would like to point out that she played for us FIRST before she was employed by you. ;)

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another postponement this weekend. :confused: All this good weather going to the waste. Oh well.

Predictions for this weekend...

Coquitlam wins over Surrey. This is a tough one. Common sense says Coquitlam should go down to their end of the field and Surrey should stay at their end, and the two teams should just kick the ball back and forth. But, this is Coquitlam vs. Surrey, and common sense pretty much goes out the window in this rivalry. Coquitlam takes advantage of a limited Surrey roster. (Why this game has been scheduled 10 days before nationals is mind-boggling.:( )

Richmond loses to Peg.
If Peg can field a team, they will be too much for Richmond. Should be a close game though.

Norvan loses to West Van Renegades.
Start of a new rivalry? Renegades experience should be enough to put them over the top against a younger Norvan team.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard said:
Coquitlam wins over Surrey. This is a tough one. Common sense says Coquitlam should go down to their end of the field and Surrey should stay at their end, and the two teams should just kick the ball back and forth. But, this is Coquitlam vs. Surrey, and common sense pretty much goes out the window in this rivalry. Coquitlam takes advantage of a limited Surrey roster. (Why this game has been scheduled 10 days before nationals is mind-boggling.:( )

You were wrong on both counts FB - Coquitlam didn't win and nobody took it easy. Game ended 0-0 but it wasn't without it scoring chances for both sides. Coq hit a post in the first half and SU missed two pretty much open nets in the second half. And needless to say this is definitely a heated rivalry. No worries about Nationals in less than two weeks. Both teams went at each other and I'm sure it was fun for the spectators to watch (although not so fun for the ref who had no linesmen to help him).

BTW, what is with our league that you have a huge game between the two teams going to Nationals and you can't get any linesmen out!! What do we pay the league fees for!! :rolleyes:

Anyways fun game to be a part of and I think SU took some inspiration from it's new team mascot on the night - a definite cweeepy qually kind of thing!! ;)

choker

Sep 23, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard said:
Norvan loses to West Van Renegades.
Start of a new rivalry? Renegades experience should be enough to put them over the top against a younger Norvan team.

Well you were right FB, the Renegades win by default.. yah, Norvan showed up with 8 players... nice............PMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0