Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[MWSL Premier] Predictions, Results, & Banter Feb 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let's start the banter for the shortest month of the year.

A couple of make-up games are left as well as league cup before provincials start. The make-up games will decide 1st place and last place while the other three spots (3,4,5) are all sewn up.

Any one know how the spots are going to be decided for provincial cup this year? Will all 7 teams make it and then add 5 from the island? I think they should just do 6 MWSL teams and 2 Island teams and start from the quarters but I'm sure they will want to include as many teams as possible.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's how the BCSA assigns berths per League. They do it based on a proportional basis, with the ratio being number of "A" (or Premier) teams in each league.

With the change to the 'Selects' this year, from "A" teams back to "B" teams, this means the MWSL has 7 eligible teams, the LIWSA has 9.

Do the math. I figure this works one of two ways. All sixteen teams qualify. Logical.

Or the LIWSA, for the first time in recent memory, if ever, will actually get more spots. Perhaps a 5-3 split. It's not inconceivable that BC Soccer could go back to just 8 teams with only 16 being eligible in total (last year there was almost 30 eligible I believe).

Could you imagine if the MWSL only had two spots?! And the MWSL has no formal method for determining who gets the spots other than standings. And since it wasn't made known at the beginning of the season, teams have continued on the assumption that it would be status quo or close. Makes you wonder where the League's leadership is in all of this.

Highly, highly doubtful you'll see a 6-2 split in favour of the MWSL. At best you'll see a 4-4 split, or the aforementioned 7-9. And since the League has historically shown little support for their Premier teams in the past, I doubt they'll go to the wall with BC Soccer on this. The MWSL will have a rep on the competitions committee. You should find out who that person is, and make sure they're on top of things. That committee has some of the most experienced and savvy soccer politicians, and if the MWSL sent in a newbie, they could get blindsided.

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
FB, I was reading along in your post, following along in your logic about 9 + 7 = 16 or 5 + 3 = 8 and all of a sudden you throw out "Could you imagine if the MWSL only had two spots?! ". Where does this come from? And then you do your usual League leadership bashing.

Then you say:
The MWSL will have a rep on the competitions committee. You should find out who that person is, and make sure they're on top of things. That committee has some of the most experienced and savvy soccer politicians, and if the MWSL sent in a newbie, they could get blindsided.

Why would the competitions commitee try and "blindside" the MSWL? I simply don't understand what point you are trying to make.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard said:
Highly, highly doubtful you'll see a 6-2 split in favour of the MWSL. At best you'll see a 4-4 split, or the aforementioned 7-9.
I know that you have to be fair to the LIWSA, but you can't honestly tell me that all nine of their teams should be in provincial cup or that there should be an even split on spots.:rolleyes: Outside of the top two, the level of the rest of their league is on par with Selects or Div. 1 here.

Last year, I believe they had 12 teams playing in the 1st round with the league champs (Island and MWSL) having a bye to the 2nd round making it 14 spots. I'm not sure of the split, but it may have been an even 7 each. But to get to my point, at least 2 or 3 island teams dropped out of the Provincial Cup and teams from the MWSL who hadn't originally qualified (e.g. SBAA Premier and two now-Selects teams I believe). Why should BC Soccer give spots to teams that are just going to drop out anyways?!? :confused:

Cut it down to 8 teams and do a 5-3 split in favour of the MWSL, but that's just my opinion. ;)

choker said:
What's up Nutmegs... it says that your game is now cancelled...
You got me.... I just heard that and checked the MWSL site. Maybe Richmond couldn't make it on Sunday.

Could be a lot of drinking this weekend. No game Sunday morning followed by a Super Bowl partay!! :wa:

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like no game for us yet again. Drove by Kinesman a few minutes ago and the field is still closed. Don't think it will open up again until we get quite a few consecutive days of no rain. I think next year we should get the turf. On a brighter note, maybe I will go watch the Poco/UBC game if it is on. Good times.

WW

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Welcome Wagon said:
Looks like no game for us yet again. Drove by Kinesman a few minutes ago and the field is still closed. Don't think it will open up again until we get quite a few consecutive days of no rain. I think next year we should get the turf. On a brighter note, maybe I will go watch the Poco/UBC game if it is on. Good times.

WW
I have to say that a 9:30am kick-off at Kinsman in the winter is probably the stupidest thing ever. There is no way that field is playable when it's wet out and, if by some miracle in Vancouver you get a few dry days, the field will most likely be frozen or covered in frost and once again unplayable.

It would be interesting to hear how many of your 9:30am home games have actually happened this year. And I would love watch a hungover choker trying to warm-up at 8:45am. :p

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nutmegs,

I totally agree with you that the 9:30am kickoff is stupid. The field is always frozen and unplayable in the winter, and it is totally squishy and lopsided even on the best of days. Also, although it seems like they cut the grass every time I drive by that field the grass is far too long and thick. I hate our field and love away games, just so we don't have to play there. Pretty sad considering I live a block away from the field:confused: .

UBC is totally trying to get their game played this Sunday against Poco. Otherwise SB will have to sit out against you guys next Sunday. They even got it changed from UBC to Poco. Gates grass was closed last Sunday though so I don't know why they think it will be any different this Sunday, considering it has rained all week long.

Did you go to your coed fundraiser last night?? Anything overly eventful happen??:D

WW

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First of all, if you have to have a fundraiser for co-ed, then your team is taking it way too seriously. Puuullllease

Second, Poco/UBC game so far as of now is still on.
Unless the wind blew the field away yesterday. Seems to be the only game still on. Lucky for them.
Of course i'll be there kids in tow. :rolleyes:

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda said:
First of all, if you have to have a fundraiser for co-ed, then your team is taking it way too seriously. Puuullllease
I have no idea what WW is talking about (unless my co-ed team had a party without me:rolleyes: ).

Yoda, you'll jump at any chance to bash YG Inc won't you.:D

The only time we have a fundraiser (which is really just an excuse to go to the bar and get drunk) it's to raise a few bucks to help pay for our hotels in the Vernon tourney. That way we can spend more money on booze!!:wa:

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Next thing you're going to tell me is the only reason you guys practice for coed is so you can drink beer afterwards.
Excuses, excuses.
:)

UBC 4 Poco 1
2 quick goals for UBC put Poco behind quickly, they didn't play too badly, can't remember whether the 3 goal was next or Poco's was. Poco's was a nice individual effort from Torin (sp?). UBC's 4th was an own goal on a passback that had a little miscommunication. Decent effort anyways for Poco, but still not a win.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know when it is but the new,improved, Buddha (or some other name) will be back. Now that all the kids have been had and everyone (dads included) are ready to get back in shape.
Yoda sounds to me like you guys are the ones worrying about practice!!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's not that we are worrying about it, it's that we need it!

Now back on topic!!!!!
Guess Nutmegs is too worried about her fundraiser/practices to keep this thread on topic.

choker

Sep 23, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
nutmegs said:
And I would love watch a hungover choker trying to warm-up at 8:45am. :p

whatever!
I am the first one to arrive.. in fact, I get there at 8, sit in the cozy changeroom and mentally prepare then start warming up at 8:30.. ha ha ha

Speaking of hungover.. that's me today

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nutmegs, I spoke to the cooler Queen earlier and she told me about what happened at her work!!(ha,ha) It's funny how WW get's stories distorted, it was a fundraiser for my college program!Yoda just for your info Yg Inc will be having there fundraiser sometime in early July, just in case you are planning in supporting us!!:D

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nutmegs,

I was given false info. LB told me she was going to her coed fundraiser and named a bunch of the guys on your team who were going to be there. I guess she assumed it was a YG coed fundraiser

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Conductor, i wouldn't want you guys to go without your championship tshirts this year.
Heck i wouldnt' want you guys to have to wait till the end of the year to get them. If i can help you guys raise enough money to buy them at the start, then you wouldn't have to worry about them all year.

Might be pointless because i think our opening tourny unis will say "2006 Co-ed Champions."
Hope that's OK?

Now, i hate to do Nutmegs job, but since she isn't doing it. BACK ON TOPIC!!!!!

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
To keep Yoda happy, I'll put this thread back on topic.:rolleyes:

The league actually has the entire Round Robin Cup schedule up on the site for Feb and March.:eek: It's kinda weird to actually know your schedule more than one week in advance.

Still not sure how this League Cup is working though. It appears as though everyone plays each other once, but what happens after that?:confused: Is there semis for the top four and then a final? Anyone know?

As for the games this weekend, I haven't heard a result from the Coquitlam-Richmond game yet. But I could see Coquitlam beating up on Richmond a bit to get rid of some frustration about the 2-1 loss to UBC two weeks ago.

UBC-Surrey should be a good match-up. UBC has won four straight including victories against Surrey and Coquitlam while Surrey has only played 2 games since the Xmas break with a loss and a tie. We definitely need to start playing more and picking up our game.

Poco-Westside is the battle of the two cellar-dwellers. No offense to Westside but I'm pulling for Poco so that they can at least get their first win of the season. :(

Good luck to everyone.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey 4 - UBC Sportstown 0

Good result for us on the weekend. UBC was missing a few key starters (that's for you UBC lurkers out there ;) ). But I thought we played really well and dominated from start to finish (especially considering about 4 of our players were reaaalllly hungover :D ). One of those hungover girls scored two and had assists on the other two - oh to be 25 again and be able to play well when you're hungover - she is my hero. ;)

I see that Poco pulled out a shootout win over Westside yesterday. Any details on that one Yoda?

I looked over the MWSL website again and finally figured out how this League Cup is working. It's just a round robin where we play each other once and then the first and second place teams play in the final. Should be interesting to see if we can get all seven games in before provincial cup would have to start - of course if this beautiful dry weather keeps up we should be alright.:)

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No game report as i was playing on Gate #1 while they played on Gates #2 so i couldnt' watch.

I know that poco had a 3-1 lead at one point and then Westside got a late goal.
That's about it.
Good for them to get a 6 point win........sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0