Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[MWSL Premier] 2005/06 Preseason Banter & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
So a schedule has been posted on the MWSL website but of course it is only for the first two weeks - far be it for our league to actually put out a full schedule or even think a few months ahead in their scheduling. :rolleyes:

Surrey United starts off the year with Westside in Week 1 followed by a Friday night game versus Richmond in week 2 - man I really like those Friday night games - it frees up the whole weekend!! :wa:

The two teams who seem to be getting the most posts - Poco and Norvan (although that's because of Yoda and WW) - have tough starts to the season. Poco gets a bye in the first week but then starts their season against UBC-Sportstown. Norvan, who many are saying should be a good side this year (well maybe just WW ;)) have what should be an exciting game to start the year - a Friday night encounter versus Coquitlam. From what I've heard from Jimmy Holiday he is going to work the Coq girls hard this year and they should be looking for some revenge after losing to UBC and Surrey in the playoffs the last two years. I'll be there to watch that battle!!

Hopefully it will be an exciting season this year. Good luck to all the teams!!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
nutmegs said:
So a schedule has been posted on the MWSL website but of course it is only for the first two weeks - far be it for our league to actually put out a full schedule or even think a few months ahead in their scheduling. :rolleyes:

Surrey United starts off the year with Westside in Week 1 followed by a Friday night game versus Richmond in week 2 - man I really like those Friday night games - it frees up the whole weekend!! :wa:

The two teams who seem to be getting the most posts - Poco and Norvan (although that's because of Yoda and WW) - have tough starts to the season. Poco gets a bye in the first week but then starts their season against UBC-Sportstown. Norvan, who many are saying should be a good side this year (well maybe just WW ;)) have what should be an exciting game to start the year - a Friday night encounter versus Coquitlam. From what I've heard from Jimmy Holiday he is going to work the Coq girls hard this year and they should be looking for some revenge after losing to UBC and Surrey in the playoffs the last two years. I'll be there to watch that battle!!

Hopefully it will be an exciting season this year. Good luck to all the teams!!

Yah, two weeks at a time is great, especially for players who are trying to organize work schedules.

Good luck this year, Nutmegs, especially at the Nationals.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This weeks schedule of game for the Premier division:

Sep 9 - 8:00pm Coquitlam vs. Norvan/NSGSC @ Charles Best School (AT)
Sep 11 - Poco Premier vs. Bye
Sep 11 - 10:00am Surrey United A vs.Westside @ Cloverdale Ath. Pk
Sep 11 - 10:00am Sportstown UBC Alumni vs. Richmond Selects @ Todd Field

I'll take Coquitlam, Poco :) ,Surrey,UBC to win this week.

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda,

Wait to play it safe with the predictions. I won't predict my own team's game, but I will make one change in your predictions. I think that Poco will do something out of the extraordinary and somehow manage to tie or lose the non-game that they have. Don't know how but I am sure they will somehow manage to pull it off!! If any team can do that, Poco can :D. Just joking Poco, you know I love you.

Can'tHeadABall

Mar 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain you there?

You're up to speed on everything. What's with Richmond? I heard there have been a few defections? Okay, I know, I'm in the wrong thread.

WW,

What time is the POCO game. I want to go watch it:rolleyes:.

CHAB

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can'tHeadABall said:
Captain you there?

You're up to speed on everything. What's with Richmond? I heard there have been a few defections? Okay, I know, I'm in the wrong thread.

WW,

CHAB

Well, Richmond is an island. Actually, it is two islands; Lulu and Sea. I believe there are a few 'defections' every year, with people wanting to avoid being here when and if an earthquake actually strikes. Otherwise, it is a sound place to be........

Seriously, I'm not sure what you're talking about????Could you be more specific with the "What's with Richmond? I heard there were a few defections?" question/statement. Cheers......

Can'tHeadABall

Mar 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
Seriously, I'm not sure what you're talking about????Could you be more specific with the "What's with Richmond? I heard there were a few defections?" question/statement. Cheers......
Never mind, my info must be off and I've been walking around all week with my head up my arse anyway. Thought they were struggling with numbers and players moving to different teams but I guess that happens every year with every team anyway. Thought one moved to Coquitlam. Just stirring the pot. I'll go back under my rock where I belong. Good luck this weekend with your two squads.

Cheers

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can'tHeadABall said:
Captain you there?

WW,

CHAB

Last I heard, Poco is going to spend a few solid hours on Sunday morning doing the "4 corners" warm-up drill, nothing else will be tolerated, seeing as it was so beneficial to the team and is even more fun. You should go watch because I am sure it will be absolutely fascinating and intense. See how many times the players collide in the square. Happened far too many times :D .

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can'tHeadABall said:
Never mind, my info must be off and I've been walking around all week with my head up my arse anyway. Thought they were struggling with numbers and players moving to different teams but I guess that happens every year with every team anyway. Thought one moved to Coquitlam. Just stirring the pot. I'll go back under my rock where I belong. Good luck this weekend with your two squads.

Cheers

Hi CHAB,

Coquitlam is news to me. I can say we have 16 cards left over from last year........From that we have one player who has decided to broaden her horizons and play division 4 with her softball buddies, as she is apprenticing to be a hairstylist and taking on another job, so she can't commit this year. The team she is playing for is in Tsawwassen, where she lives. Makes sense to me. Good for her. :D

Another player is playing for a div. 1 team because they practice on Wednesday nights and she was never able to practice with us on Tues/Thur because she is a UBC Cheerleader. As it turns out, thanks to late notice, we will be practicing on Wednesday nights after all. Imagine that.

Other than that, I don't know any other players who are playing elsewhere....I can tell you this though, just so you can tell your sources for future reference......

4 players who played a combined total of 2 games last season will not be back this year due to health issues, travelling, school commitments.....

We are losing 3 players from our 'A' team due to ; a)one going to UVIC b)one travelling the world for a year c) one who is pregnant

We're losing one from our 'B' team due to her enrollment at UVIC..Let's see..........We are losing a 'goalie' who played 5 games. God bless her.

Players coming in: EIGHT - 3 Premier 'A' level players coming to the squad......fit, athletic, great work rate, with a bit of experience and skill, which will definitely help the squad

A new goalie, a very athletic goalie like our first team goalie......A solid defender from SBAA. Apparently, they had no room for her???? Two girls who just finished UVIC and played in Victoria the last two seasons. One in fact played at SDSS for me about 5/6 years ago.... Two players just out of the Richmond U-18 gold team, who are very athletic......will be adding the sister of our new goalie, who is apparently extemely athletic..........

So, that is where we stand....I forgot to mention that we don't have two players for 3 months, one who is playing for Langara and one who is doing Customs training.......I don' think I'm leaving anyone out.......

Having said all that, our numbers are short for the weekend but that is the way it goes. We'll wear the Hoops with pride and we will hopefully give our opponents a good battle..........

Good luck to you this year too, CHAB. What team do you play for? Please make sure you introduce yourself when/if we play you. Cheers.

Captain

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain I might see you out on Sunday at Champlain. I might have to come cheer/checkout our women's team PCOV. You will have a good game this Sunday maybe we'll meet.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow Captain. Sounds like your going to miss out on some free haircuts and a great halftime cheer.
Poco will be missing a couple of key players for a little while longer as they are either just about to have a baby or have just had and aren't ready to come back yet.

Hopefully they'll return before the seasons end and help them out.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
termatofylakas said:
Captain I might see you out on Sunday at Champlain. I might have to come cheer/checkout our women's team PCOV. You will have a good game this Sunday maybe we'll meet.

Sounds good, Terma. It should be a close game, hopefully. We just want to be competitive in every game and make sure we make life as difficult as we can for teams that will probably have higher skill levels and be more experienced.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain? Are you and CHAB talking about the same Richmond team? Are you now associated with Richmond Premier?

I too had heard that a Richmond Premier player has indeed signed with Coquitlam. Coquitlam has also signed a couple of youngsters in Brynessa Gradley (U17 Whitecaps) and Shannon Locke (U18 Burnaby Girls Jazz). Other than that I don't know who if anyone else they have signed. And I haven't heard if Amber Allen is coming back. Coquitlam has few college players left, so they should be ready to play starting tomorrow night. Although, they're without their regular keeper for the Norvan match.

Surrey United has apparently signed Sophie Schmidt (Abby U18 Rush/CDN National Team), and Teresa Nuttall (SBAA Premier keeper). However, if the MWSL did manage to force through their National Player limit then that may pose an interesting problem for Surrey if Hermus is coming back as the limit was supposed to be two - and Schmidt, Holan and Hermus would make three.

Anyone know if that rule did pass?

And I'll be the first to start the rumour. :p When is Maglio going to jump from Surrey to Coquitlam, now that she is Coquitlam City's new technical director. That could make their first meeting at Charles Best an interesting one for Coquitlam City supporters.

Just trying to stir the pot. Liven things up a little. :D

Anyhow, I am going against club allegiance here and am going to pick Slurrey United as the odds on faves to win the League and Provincial Cup. Coquitlam should challenge for the title, and UBC will pull in at third spot. Norvan should get fourth spot, Richmond fifth. Poco and Westside will battle it out in the cellar. With no relegation anymore, it's less of a concern I suppose for those clubs. :(

The key is going to be provincial cup berths. With the MWSL going down to only 7 Category "A" teams, and the Lower Island having ten, the BCSA will likely go back to an eight team format. For the first time in recent memory the Island should have more berths, and look for a 5-3 split. At best it will be even. This will make things very interesting, and one has to wonder why the MWSL opted not to register 'Select' team on A forms. :confused:

FB. Out.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess we could be talking about two different things, FBastard? :D

I have e-mailed several board members now and have heard NOTHING back from anyone. On top of that, we still don't know what ****ing time our game is at and even where it is at.........Things have started off really well this year.

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
one has to wonder why the MWSL opted not to register 'Select' team on A forms.

Because last year's Premier B teams (now Selects) voted not to remain on A forms.

Players coming in: EIGHT - 3 Premier 'A' level players coming to the squad......fit, athletic, great work rate, with a bit of experience and skill, which will definitely help the squad

We just want to be competitive in every game and make sure we make life as difficult as we can for teams that will probably have higher skill levels and be more experienced.

These seem contrary, Captain. You playing possum?

Captain? Are you and CHAB talking about the same Richmond team? Are you now associated with Richmond Premier?

No, I think Captain is talking about Club I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0