Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MWSL Division I ''Selects'' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh, talk about glorifying a title with the word "Selects". Perhaps "Selects" should be in the title of the Premier League because of the pool of players making up the teams (Nationals, Internationals, Whitecaps, University/College and PCL players). It will be interesting to see what actually happens here.

I heard a few quality Premier "A" players (of past) will be joining the "Selects" teams and I'm sure the talent will be spread out across the board. Opening things up for the Division I crew should step up the competition for those who've been dominating Div. 1 over the last couple of seasons.

Continue...

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: MWSL [Division I ''Selects'']

SC,
Can you clarify what this new title is? Is it like the CAT of mens soccer or am i way off?

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I think SixofOne will have a better explanation, but from what I've heard from a certain player I know, the league has discontinued the Premier B designation, reduced the number of teams in Premier A and created this "Select" division as a place for elite MWSL teams that want to compete at a high level without getting bitch-slapped (for the lack of a better word) by the likes of UBC Alumni, Coquitlam City, and Surrey.

Look for teams such as the Westside Shooters, Renegades, M&J Selects, Vancouver Only, Meralomas, and the likes. With luck, the league won't suddenly choose to change the rules and schedule midway through the season -- hell, maybe each team will be able to play each other twice even. :eek:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

There will be 16 teams in the 'Selects' division with several teams coming up from last year's div.1(us included). At the end of the season, the winning team has a choice to move up if it so chooses. The bottom teams will be demoted to division 1 and obviously the top teams from div. 1 will move up. How they figure out the 3 teams from the two divisions of 8 will probably be a surprise but I'm guessing they might use the VMSL approach; a playoff with the two second to last placed teams.

Anyone had the opportunity to join Premier 'A' this year also, but most teams realized that would not be in their best interest at this time, us included......

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just saw the groupings on the MWSL site:

West
Burnaby Canadians A
Club Ireland A
Meralomas A
North Shore Red Sox
PCOV
Vancouver Only
Westside Selects
Westside Shooters

East
Coquitlam City United
Metroford Eclipse
Sapperton Rovers
SBAA Ajax A
SBAA Strikers
Surdel FC
Surdel Kaizen
Valley United FC A

First of all, cudos must be given to the league for splitting them up East/West. That's probably the wisest move they've ever made (from a fans perspective, anyways -- less travel :cool: ). Well done.

Second -- and perhaps SixofOne can explain -- are the Westside Selects the old Renegades team? How come the name change?

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I've heard, and don't quote me on this, the Westside Selects are the old M&J Selects. The Westside Renegades were sick of playing second fiddle to the Westside Shooters in the Westside club so they joined Sapperton and became the Rovers. Perhaps the old M&J Selects (now Westside Selects) will have more success against the Shooters than the old Renegades (now Rovers). No formal announcement has been made yet, but it will all come out soon.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is this the same team as the Div. 1 (regular) Rovers of past??? :confused:

Can'tHeadABall

Mar 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe the Westside Renegades are now the Westside Selects. M&J Selects became M&J Rovers last season. They are now Sapperton Rovers and under the Sapperton flag if I am not mistaken but who really cares. They're a bunch of wankers anyway.

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh, my mistake, Can'tHeadABall, you're right. I've just now seen that the Westside Renegades are listed again on the MWSL website. I'm not sure why they were listed as Westside Selects but it looks like they are back to being the Renegades. Perhaps it was merely a typo. And I guess M&J Rovers simply became Sapperton Rovers.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And here Mrs. Keeper thought the Renegades coach wanted to distance his team from the mish-mash summer league team she put together. Silly girl.

Fraser canyon here we come . . . tell the coach she left at 10am. With luck she'll be just on time.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC said:
Is this the same team as the Div. 1 (regular) Rovers of past??? :confused:

No, the Shamrock Rovers 'A' is now an Over-30s team and the Shamrock Rovers 'B' is in div. 1........If that is the question....

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is interesting... I hear North Shore may be looking more like the Surrey Marlins (Premier) of the Mid 90s. I look forward to seeing some of the 'old' gals back together again. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0