Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lap Top Error Message

Is TheRob's laptop fcuked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Attention TTP Computer Guru's!!! (Regs)

I turned the laptop on the other day and got the error message in the picture below. I can't even start the thing in safemode. What I'm wondering is is the computer virused or done. Help!!

Attachments

• Laptop error message.jpg
    Laptop error message.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 171

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am not close to an IT guy but my IT guys in the past Rob have told me that this is the dreaded "blue screen" and that it is easy to fix, and has nothing to do with a virus. If you do not have IT support PM me and I will get you help.

Sir M

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you have data on that drive that you need, I would go the safe route and keep the unit powered off until you can get(or try to get) a copy of the data on it. If the problem is mechanical by nature, continual boot cycling of the computer will be futile and success short lived. If you have access to another computer that has room, you can use a usb to IDE(2.5inch) converter(or if you have a 2.5 external drive, you can open the case and swap in your problem drive) that will allow you to mount the drive and attempt the data extract.

Signs of a mechanical issue:hard clicking noises from the computer, varying blue screen messages, black screen message indicating no boot device found.

The problem could also be logical corruption(ie not mechanical). This is fixable sometimes by using a boot disk and accessing the partition to check Master File Tables and key files but a reinstall of the O/S may be required.

A reinstall can be done 2 ways: 1 is to wipe the drive(remove partition create new one) and the 2 is to install over top of your existing partition. I usually prefer the former but if you were unable to get your data off, you may need option 2 to allow access to your files. In either case, you will need the windows media(install disks and product code) and the media for any installed programs that you had.

Good Luck

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How old is the laptop?

BF is spot-on with how to proceed... if you are technically inclined but I know you TR, you are more of a punt-it-up-the-park kinda guy :)

I say take it into a shop, explain the problem and that you want a new computer and the old hard drive taken out and put into a usb 2.5" hard drive case. Don't let them move the data for you, it will take weeks as they will be distracted by all the naked Mrs. TR photos.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How old is the laptop?

I say take it into a shop, explain the problem and that you want a new computer and the old hard drive taken out and put into a usb 2.5" hard drive case. Don't let them move the data for you, it will take weeks as they will be distracted by all the naked Mrs. TR photos.

Ummm...I can fix your computer, Rob.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Happened to my computer a couple years back...

I phoned dell..

Their support sucks...

The guy i was talking to was in india..

Voice sounded familiar.

Turned out to be the same guy i called the a couple days before when i took a blue pill and my boner wouldnt go away after 24hrs.

Dont call the 1-800 number on back of the bottle incase of emergency.

All they do is tell u to jerk off yet they want u to stay on the phone!

Cheaper to buy a new one.

Sorry i couldnt help..

Actually.... Dont buy Dell and never buy the no name brand blue pills!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sir M: there are a number of different conditions that can cause the BSOD. In this case the key phrase is "Unmountable Boot Volume," which as the Boneyfish stated, means that the hard drive probably doesn't have long to live, and should have its contents backup up ASAP.

TheRob: not necessarily virus'd, but close to done. The contents of your drive can be rescued by a couple of methods:
1. take drive out of system and attach to another computer (usually with a USB drive caddy) to back it up, or
2. boot your system from a Linux disk and attach an external drive to the system to copy your data files to. Puppy, Knoppix, or Ubuntu are all good for this.

If you aren't comfy doing this, there actually are a couple of computer shops in the Loops that can do it for you, or PM me as I always need another excuse to go up to visit my family members there.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard from Mr Base it Happens everytime you type in under google...." I have a small scrotum what should I do? " seriously though I hope you can get it fixed...along with your computer.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hard drive is pooched, so we are looking for a new laptop and will just transfer the data over. And the naked pictures of Bonn.....I mean Mrs. TheRob.

Come to Kamloops.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0