Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Klinsmann steps down

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Klinsmann stepping down as Germany's coachAssociated Press

FRANKFURT, Germany -- Juergen Klinsmann, who coached Germany to a third-place finish at the World Cup last week, is stepping down, the co-president of the German soccer federation said early Wednesday.

"I regret his decision, but we have to accept it," Gerhard Mayer-Vorfelder said.

The mass-circulation Bild newspaper and the Sueddeutsche Zeitung first reported in their Wednesday editions that Klinsmann wouldn't extend his contract that ended with the World Cup.

Klinsmann called German soccer federation (DFB) co-president Theo Zwanziger and national team manager Oliver Bierhoff to tell them that he would not be staying in the job, the papers reported.

DFB spokesman Harald Stenger confirmed that Klinsmann had called Zwanziger and Bierhoff but would not disclose the details of the conversation.

The newspapers said Klinsmann's assistant Joachim Loew was the likely successor.

Klinsmann's rejuvenated team went beyond expectations by finishing third, after losing to eventual champion Italy 2-0 in the semifinals.

Klinsmann, 41, had no previous coaching experience when he took over an ailing German squad two years ago.

After Germany beat Portugal 3-1 to take third place, Klinsmann said he would think about his future over the next few days and consult with his California-based family.

Positioning himself for a much talked about move to the States to replace Bruce Arena???
Any thoughts???

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I loved the energy he brought to the team. When they scored he was the one jumping the highest and pumping his fists the most. It is too bad he isn't staying on.

He better not coach the US. Then I'll have to hate him. :mad:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brutal.

I thought he'd be in the bag as soon as his wife gave him the ok. I guess she didn't.

What you said, TR. I think one announcer commented on him the best when he said that Klinsmann still looks like he could still show Klose a few things.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Heard the US have offered $3-3.5m / year for his services. His home is in San Diego, isn't it?

Agree, would be a shame...they were fun to watch this year.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TheRob said:
I loved the energy he brought to the team.

I loved the energy once used in responses to private messages sent....:D

I never give kudos to Gerry's. ;)
Except for Berti Vogts. :rolleyes:

Germany is less if he's not involved.

Germany's loss possibly will be America's gain.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Even with Klinsmann at the helm I remind you that you can polish a turd but it will always be just a piece of shite:D

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done, Keeper. 3 days have passed and I still have no comeback for that:eek:
Anyways...On topic with Klinsmann, Bruce Arena anounced he will not be returning to US Soccer:

Arena out as U.S. coach at end of year
July 14, 2006
CHICAGO (Ticker) - Bruce Arena's eight-year tenure as coach of the United States national team is coming to an end.

U.S. Soccer announced Friday that Arena's contract will not be renewed when it expires at the end of the year.

"We will begin an immediate search for a new national team coach," U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said.

Gulati met with Arena and secretary general Dan Flynn at New York's La Guardia Airport for five hours on Thursday and spoke over the phone Friday morning to discuss the coach's future.

"I would like to thank the players, coaches and staff who have been with the program over the last eight years," Arena said in a statement. "Their tireless effort has helped transform the national team program into something we can all be proud of, and I am extremely grateful for their commitment. I have thoroughly enjoyed this experience, and I would like to thank U.S. Soccer for the opportunity and their support throughout my tenure.

"I am proud of how far the organization has come over the last eight years, and I am extremely optimistic about the future of the sport in our country. As for me, I am planning to take some time off to weigh my future opportunities."

Hired in October 1998, Arena has gone 71-30-29 guiding the U.S., setting records for wins, games (130) and winning percentage (.658). The 54-year-old Brooklyn native previously had won five national championships in 18 years at the University of Virginia and led D.C. United to the first three MLS Cup finals, winning two.

"Bruce Arena's success on the field for the United States is unprecedented," Gulati said. "But it is more than just the results he has achieved on the field. Simply said, no one has done more to lift the stature and respect of our men's national team programs worldwide.

"We appreciate Bruce's years of service to U.S. Soccer, and as we move forward we will be looking for someone to build on the success he has established for our men's program and our organization."

Numerous reports have linked Arena to the coaching position with the struggling New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer. The last-place squad fired Mo Johnston last month and replaced him with assistant Richie Williams. Gulati said Arena turned down an international opportunity before the World Cup to give his full attention to the U.S. effort.

Arena guided the U.S. to a surprising quarterfinal run in the 2002 World Cup in Korea and Japan, but the Americans came in last in the rugged Group E of last month's World Cup in Germany.

"I think comes down primarily to eight years being a long time," Gulati said. "We want to continue the progress we've made, but I think having a fresh approach after eight years ... is the strongest factor.

"We didn't get the result we wanted at the World Cup, but Bruce Arena did not all of a sudden become a bad coach."

It is believed that U.S. Soccer will attempt to hire Jurgen Klinsmann, who led his homeland to a semifinal showing at the World Cup. Klinsmann, who resigned from the German post on Wednesday, is married to an American and lives in Southern California.

"I'm sure I will talk to Jurgen," Gulati said. "Whether we'll talk seriously about this, we'll see."

Updated on Friday, Jul 14, 2006 12:51 pm EDT

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0