Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Soccer Coming Out of the Wilderness?

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is soccer really coming out of the wilderness in Canada? I had an argument with a guy at work that it was and becoming mainstream. He said it would never be so. Is it?

If you look at recent events, some would say yes.

If you ask anyone working with youth players today, the calibre is much better than it has ever been. Players are playing more frequently and are more educated about the game thanks to Soccer academies, developmental programs, better coaching, TV, and influences of the internet and soccer PC/Xbox/Playstation games that have made Ronaldinho a household name.

The sport now has 2 TV stations (Fox Sports World Canada and GolTV) totally dedicated to soccer. Both do a really good job of it. The shock of the Score out bidding Sportsnet for the rights to show the Premiership was... shocking! It was the first time, besides a World Cup event, that a soccer program was outbid rather than just picked up. It's a huge loss to Sportsnet!

Toronto FC, probably due more to good timing, is a big, big hit, importantly, in the centre of the universe. Thanks to the Leafs golfing, the Raptors exiting the big dance and the ridiculous Ricky Williams scandal involving the Argonauts, TFC games are very well attended and are getting tons of popular press. Their games are shown on both CBC and The Score (regular TV stations) and the poor play of soccer isn't being talked about... yet! They've got a new, appropriate sized stadium that is bouncing throughout each game. There's lots of singing and TFC have even been warned about the nature of fanaticism in the stadium. This, in Canada? You throw in the billionaire owners of both the Whitecaps and Impact who are lining up stadiums and MLS teams, you have, gulp, a dare say... a future in the sport?

We've got the U-20's just around the corner (no thanks to the poor advertising by CSA) that will almost undoubtly be sold out by kickoff time that will also spark off a level of excitement in the country. If Canada does extremely well - look out! Even the poor handling of the hiring of Dale Mitchell as MNT head coach is given a lot of press in major newspapers rather than on just of fabulous forum sites like this. The CSA is in real trouble because they are not only pissing off the soccer public, they're making good fodder for the press.

Speaking of press, we are seeing the fantastic highlights of the game rather than the negitive stuff like riots and death that was the only press soccer got in North America a few years back. For instance, The Score are doing their Score 64 " Greatest Highlight Ever" and it's down to the final two. Soccer was well represented throughout and did phenomenally well. The final two are Vince Carter's dunk in the Olympics over top of a 7ft centre and a remarkable goal from Roberto Carlos. At present, Carlos' goal is winning. Hockey did very poorly in the contest! In Canada?

Maybe it's all just the Beckham factor. Maybe it's just soccer coming out of the wilderness in this country.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great thread Jonesy.

I was watching FSW and them showing Toronto's hilites and was amazed at the atmosphere in the stands and that MLS is all over what a huge success it's already been there.

The announcer was whole heartedly endorsing Vancouver as the next destination.
I know this city has was it takes because I long for days past at Empire and know we are capable of it with the interest here.
I know we we can easily be a three or four sport city.
The Canucks will always be #1 but the gap can be closed.

I watch my kids play and am amazed at the talent level out there.
The game is so popular and so accessable for kids.
I look at the amount of jerseys I see kids wear now as also a sign of the game's popularity.
Gone are the days of watching Toby Charles cover the Bundesliga on Channel 9 on Sunday mornings as the only time you could watch a tape delayed televised match.

I'm talking only from a local standpoint but can't help but think, especially a lot in the US, that other cities in North Amercia must be the same.

This Beckham thing is going to be big I think.

Cheers,
RF

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys,

I have to agree with you. Now, it may be me thinking w/ my heart, and not my head, but I can't believe that our city can't support an MLS team, and I hope that the MLS continues on w/ a careful growth plan, focusing on cities that have a fan base and history in the game.

Canada's long term success in WC qualifying largely depends on the success of MLS in two or three major Canadian markets (TO, Montreal, and Vancouver). We will always have the core group of guys playing in the European leagues, but we need that second tier of players to play together, at home, in a high enough caliber league where they can be paid as professionals. The MLS provides this.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
MLSE completed the purchase of GolTV on Thursday and announced they are moving production to a high-def facility.

A 24/7 soccer HD channel in Canada says soccer is definitely coming out of the wilderness... hopefully that may mean more pressure on Setanta to match it?

cloughie

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
A good test of the local appetite was the Beckham (LA Galaxy) vs. Whitecaps 45,000 plus attendance @ BC Place.

What will be the enthusiasm level for the Zidane and Friends? 5000+ tx SOLD so far I hear for BC Place. THey also play in Toronto and Montreal. I hear they have had a wonderful reception from local government in Quebec, who have covered some costs.

There is also a strong possibility of the same group bringing Stuttgart of the German Bundesliga here in late July to play 2 games.

The Whitecaps turned them down flat and that is why they are playing a local group of ALL STAR players from the VMSL and FVSL.:cool:

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
i saw that too (guilty as charged for looking to sign up then backing out when i saw the cost). i don't think anyone who is involved is paying to try out, though. the list of players i saw are all tight wads.

BTW... i believe practices start tonight for those involved.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Paying to try out is normal everywhere...Not that I like it but its very common.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a good way to weed out the people that are not serious. If you're that good and have a shot of making it you will do what it takes to afford the tryout rich or poor.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who is involved? Where is this list? It'd be cool to read it, and see where the players are attached right now.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No JBN, a soccer player would NEVER take a PED. EVER. Can't see how those things would help an elite athlete. No way it could help.

wednesday

Jun 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
i saw that too (guilty as charged for looking to sign up then backing out when i saw the cost). i don't think anyone who is involved is paying to try out, though. the list of players i saw are all tight wads.

BTW... i believe practices start tonight for those involved.

Where's this list?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0