Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

In Memory: Dave Norman Sr.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have been informed that Dave Norman Sr. passed away Wednesday night.

I don't believe I ever had the pleasure of meeting the man but do know he was a great member of the Metro Ford club and will be missed by many.

Brad Leitch of the Metro Ford Club will be passing along a better write-up hopefully soon.

In the meantime, my condolenses as well as the rest of TTP goes out to his family, including Dave Jr.

Robin Regnier.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If there were a local soccer hall of fame, he'd be in it. Sincere condolences.

Mike Meade.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is an extremely sad day for all members and former members of the Metro-Ford family. Mr. Norman, you will truly be missed

Mr. Norman was a special man who, through his coaching and infamous soccer schools, had a deep impact on the development of many, if not all, of the Metro-Ford players since the inception of the club in 1985. Many of the best players that the club has ever produced were coached by him and many of us players that have turned to coaching feel it is a result of his professional attitude and steady hand that helped guide us through our youth years. He also gave some of us our first experience coaching through his wonderful soccer schools and always made time to help us through these new beginnings. Through his wisdom, knowledge of the game, dedication and passion, the club developed winning teams, winning attitudes and a love for the game that resonates within its members. He was passionate about his football, but more passionate about the development of his players on and off the field - from the "wee ones" to the senior Wolves team. He was truly a special man who always commanded and received the ultimate respect.

Respect is a word used too vaguely these days in judgement of people but the true meaning is completely effective in describing Mr. Norman. The respect he receives from his former players can be heard in how they talk about him and how they address him - as Mr. Norman and not David Sr. This respect would be demonstrated at many of the Metro-Ford games he attended by a stream of players and former players making their way across or around the field to make sure that they said "hello" to him. His coaching was first class and his player management skills were definitely something to experience.

Mr. Norman had a tremendous way of building up players to perform way beyond their capabilities while also taking a player down a few notches if need be. He would always find an even balance that would get the most out of every player. If someone didn't come to a game in the right frame of mind, he would rip a strip off him at half time for a poor performance but put him right back out on the field and wait for the first pass or cross he would make. He'd pump the player up by saying the skill was world class and that he was one of the best midfielder/forward/defender/keeper the club has ever produced. Within minutes, the player went from playing below average to playing way above his capabilities and with shear confidence. He'd then pull the player aside after the game and remind him of those wonderful things he did and how important the player was. That was typical of him and these qualities would also carry over, away from the park.

Thank you for getting me started in coaching and giving me the chance to learn from you, Mr. Norman. My boy's first soccer experience was at the David Norman Soccer Camps and the time spent there will forever be in our memories.

You will be missed and our prayers are with your family during this difficult time.

Sincerely

Dan, Cathy, Adam and Kyle Jones

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
wow !!!!!!

what a shock!as danny said terrific man,football fanatic ,maybe dave norman was or still is metro ford,verry sad news indeed,that is sure a huge loss for the metro ford club,good old alec bell propable cant wait to show Dave sr. around the big house & talk Rangers fc gab ;)

R.I.P

gary corr & family

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
I have received a great write-up from Brad now... here it is:

Brad Leitch said:
Mr Norman was a mentor to all of us at the club and he taught us that football is life. Some of us have been with him since the club's inception in 1984 and it will never be the same without him. It was an honor to have known him and to play for him.

David Norman Sr. – May 15, 1934 – August 11, 2004

Dave Sr. coached soccer in the Coquitlam community for 35 years. He co-founded Metro Ford Soccer Club with Bruce Aunger, William Azzi, and Glyn Davies. He had teams play in the BC Championship game 10 times, winning 6 titles. Following that he took teams to the Canadian Championships three times, winning the Canadian Championships once.

While coaching thousands of children in the Coquitlam area over 35 years, many of
his players moved on to university and professional careers. He coached until April of this year, 2004, and still had the utmost respect of the 17 year old boys he coached even though he was 70. He has coached children of the players he coached from his early teams. He was extremely proud of many of the accomplishments that players he coached had achieved 'off of the field'.

His daughter Jane was the first BC Soccer Girl.

His son David played professional soccer in Canada, US, Ireland, and England
and for the Canadian World Cup (Mexico 1986) and Olympic Teams (LA 1984).

He is survived by his wife Mary (46 years) and children Ann, David, and
Helen. Grandchildren Michelle, Kim, Brittany, Scott, Rachael, and David (6th
David in a row).

David Sr. was very proud of his soccer accomplishments, but it was his family
that he was most in touch with. He was a great husband, father, and
grandfather. He will be missed by not only his family but by the thousands of
lives he touched in the Coquitlam community, many of whom are now shaping the
community we live in by coaching and volunteering themselves in many areas.

Service will be held on Tuesday August 17th at 3:00 pm, at the Coquitlam
Alliance Church, 2601 Spuraway Ave. in Coquitlam.

I can be reached at 604-944-9768 if anyone needs further information.

Brad Leitch

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
class act leitch,that is what it is all about,class act once again

gary corr

Sweeper

Jan 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was very sad to hear the news, he will be missed by all! All the best to the Norman family. Bryn Yendley

oor wullie

Jul 17, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry for not responding to this sad news earlier...

I wish to send my deepest condolences to Dave Jr., Helen and the Norman family. We lost another great Scotsman! He will be remembered by myself and many of my friends as a great person. He was a class act, and I had the upmost respect for him and his family. Cmon tha Gers!!

Sean Sneddon

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0