Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Importing a vehicle from Alberta

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone have any experience in purchasing a truck in AB, bringing it to BC. Getting it government tested, and then insuring it?

It looks like ICBC wants around $120 for a days insurance, and a "binder" policy. Plus $25 for a day in AB.:mad:

There has to be a cheaper way. Any suggestions?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just had a guy in my office take ownership of an AB registered car...

I don't know about insurance costs, but he said it was as simple as having a VI done and then re registering and insuring the vehicle in BC...

Why import from AB? Why not look at buying an off lease or used vehicle from down south? With our dollar at or near parity and the lack of taxes etc down there the costs associated with importing from down south is higher than importing an out of province, but you always spend WAY less buying it in the first place...

I have had many friends buy vehicles off of ebay or through dealerships down south and have heard nothing but positive responses from their experiences.

Toze

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had an "out of Province" inspection on my 2007 vehicle driven to BC from AB. It failed. One estimate wanted $1700 bucks for repairs the other came in around 2k. This was just a couple weeks ago.

Having said that - once it was repaired and passed - it was as easy as going to an insurance agent with registration and I had plates within 15 minutes.

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had an "out of Province" inspection on my 2007 vehicle driven to BC from AB. It failed. One estimate wanted $1700 bucks for repairs the other came in around 2k. This was just a couple weeks ago.

Having said that - once it was repaired and passed - it was as easy as going to an insurance agent with registration and I had plates within 15 minutes.

What the hell did it fail on? What do they check for?

The truck I am getting is a 07, in excellent condition, never missed an oil change. Highway driven, no off road. I know the owner well, so reliable info.I'm hoping it won't fail!

My main issue is picking it up there, and driving back here. ICBC want aprrox $120 bucks for a one day permit, which seem rediculous!

Toze

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I actually bought the vehicle in Ontario and when I moved to Alberta it passed the inspection easily. Then I recently moved to BC and the same vehicle (one year older) failed - they cited brakes, calipers and a bunch of other stuff I know nothing about - they even took the tinting out. There's a check list of about 30 items. You can't register the vehicle until it passes every one... and they know they have you by the you know what's. I don't know if the BC test is tougher than the AB one?

It was a bit of a shock.

Soccer_player

Sep 20, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
bc's standards are higher/ more strict then alberta. that being said it all so depends were you take it. I sure most of you have herd of the lick and stick of some shop on the news in the past just putting passed inspections thru with out even looking at the vehicle. and if coming from the usa you need a provincial (bc) and federal ( canada )

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
bc's standards are higher/ more strict then alberta. that being said it all so depends were you take it. I sure most of you have herd of the lick and stick of some shop on the news in the past just putting passed inspections thru with out even looking at the vehicle. and if coming from the usa you need a provincial (bc) and federal ( canada )

As I said, I dont think it will be a problem. I have heard horror story;s about Canadian Tire. If you know anyone pm me!

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0