Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I'm getting old

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm old and play with a car chassis on my left knee. I won't quit until the Dr. says if I don't I'm dead. Simple. Besides, I'm a star up here!

Age means nothing when you are playing against young padiwans. It's all about angles. Ask Captain.

And diving???? When did you need to worry about diving Girth?

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My guess is the doctors will be seeing all these youth players alot earlier than they saw us in our lives. The turf may not hurt them now but by mid/late twenties, knees will be done in and back problems will hit too.

Who knows, O35's may be a thing of the past.

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't agree. With the advent of new technologies and medicine, we are doing more amazing things for guys and girls with sports related injuries. Remember the turf at Empire? You couldn't get much worse than that.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Still won't change the fact that there will be more people going to see doctors in the future. There will just be more playing with knee braces.

For as many doctors that can do a proper repair for these injuries, there's just as many that don't do it right and will have people coming back over and over.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
But how many injuries are saved because you don't have some knucklehead starting a slide tackle from 20 feet away?

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny it's not my body that's done it's my ears. I don't seem to have the capacity to hear some 5 foot 6 20 year old ask me what I'm gonna do about his late tackle.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
canuckboy:

I don't know about you, but I seem to have a difficult time avoiding stepping on them (or at least falling on top of them) when they attempt such things. Funny, they don't seem to want to try it again after the first time.

:D

Trece

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
But how many injuries are saved because you don't have some knucklehead starting a slide tackle from 20 feet away?

Agreed. I love the turf and am fortunate enough to have never suffered (or even witnessed) a serious injury due to it. I am not saying injuries don't happen, but the argument that "turf injures" is so common, you would think that injuries occurring would be a lot more noticeable.

Even though I am a defender and sometimes (often?) rely on slide tackles to save my bacon, I'd love to see the removal of slide tackles from all soccer. It is the greatest cause of not only injuries, but also fake injuries, with people flopping around like they have been shot. In the leagues the majority of us play in, all it takes is one bad slide tackle and the rest of the match becomes "tit for tat." An embarrassment not only to participate in, but to watch as well.

They talk about making nets bigger, playing ten aside etc. to allow more for more goals in soccer, but I think disallowing slide tackles would open the game up so much more and make it more entertaining as the talented players would have free reign to skin their defenders. But that's for another thread, I guess.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Removing slide tackles from the game?

The refs have a hard enough time as it is telling players to remove jewelry and to tuck in shirts.

The games will be twice as long when refs have to stop games so that players can put away their purses.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do kind of agree with him, the removing slide tackles would open the game. A tough sell at the top level of the game but I do feel it is a major cause of injury. Every game players just launch themselves into these tackles trying to get the ball. If he doesn't usually a yellow card(at most) leaving the other guy with a nice limp and a huge lump on his leg for the rest of the week. Honestly against some of these older teams it's scary sometimes, the guy is a step or two slower but still has the passion and isn't letting you buy him without taking a huge chunk of your leg. I don't see the ref's protecting the players enough in these reckless challenges. You say "give me a fukcing break" and cards come out like candy out the back of KNVB's tinted van. I see guys going in on slide tackles against players with there back turned and it might be a yellow. If they are cracking down on decent they should crack down on the hackers or Coachmen...cheap kunts

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't you guys see what is happening here?

The turf is fcuking with your heads - think clearly damnit!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Slide tackles are for old, lazy, and slow players who know they are either going to get burned or have already gotten burned and have no other alternative.
Why don't you all just get into shape and keep up with the player.

Or take him out before the slide tackle is necessary. :)

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The games will be twice as long when refs have to stop games so that players can put away their purses.

Maybe it's the turf playing games with my mind, but I think slide tackling is for people with purses. The smallest person can chop down the biggest tree.

I am a fan of face-to-face tackles where the strongest shoulder wins and the only injury is to someone's ego! (Or maybe to Yoda's nose):D

You say "give me a fukcing break" and cards come out like candy out the back of KNVB's tinted van.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sliding on turf is scary as hell! Their's no give and injuries happen constantly. Usually sprained anckles but sometimes those are worse than a break. As a keeper I know when challenging for a ball on turf I keep my own safety in mind and sometimes hit the player instead of sliding on the turf and going 50/50 as anything can accidently happen with that no give surface.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only injury you get from sliding on the turf is a rasberry full of little black rubber pellets. I nice wet turf and you are good to go!

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya, you guys are right, there shouldn't be any more slide tackles, is there any way that when a 50/50 ball happens that the ref blows the whistle and we all hug and then flip for the ball. Come on who likes to get stuck into a nice tackle during a game. Here is another good one, lets ban fighting in NHL games, actually, I can see that before they stop a guy getting stuck in a tackle, if a guy is going in late, well take care of it.
Sorry, I hate is sissy talk.

hos

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well said HOS, well said!

Lot's of guys get concussions/split open going up for head balls. We should ban heading the ball too.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0