Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gershon Koffie

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I found this:

However, if Koffie does intend on playing for Canada, it won’t be a straightforward process. Apart from jumping through the hoops of Citizenship and Immigration Canada over the next couple of years, by the book, Koffie isn’t eligible.

Under FIFA rules, a player can switch from representing one nation to another if he hasn’t received a senior competitive cap – but only if he was eligible for the second team at the time he was capped for the first team.

Koffie has been capped by Ghana at U-20 level, and at that time was not eligible to play for Canada – thus making him ineligible to represent Canada’s senior national team; however, there is a precedent that indicates FIFA is willing to make exceptions in the case of naturalization.

In February 2011, FIFA granted Thiago Motta special permission to represent Italy, despite receiving caps from Brazil at U-23 level prior to his becoming an Italian through naturalization. There is nothing in Motta’s case, at least on the surface of things, which is different from Koffie’s situation.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs that quoted text is a misinterpretation. Koffie has only played with Ghana's youth teams. There are no restrictions on players that wish to switch national associations at youth level.

I believe the switch they are referring to would be for someone who has a senior non-competitive cap, and then wishes to switch. An example of that would be Jermaine Jones (Senior friendlies for Germany, then switched to USA).

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs that quoted text is a misinterpretation. Koffie has only played with Ghana's youth teams. There are no restrictions on players that wish to switch national associations at youth level.

I believe the switch they are referring to would be for someone who has a senior non-competitive cap, and then wishes to switch. An example of that would be Jermaine Jones (Senior friendlies for Germany, then switched to USA).

cheers Dezza

You do a good job filling the void Left behind from JBN and his wealth of knowledge.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is JBN dead? Is he drinking with Fastshow somewhere?

This is great news for the Caps and Canada. If this type of manuever becomes part of the model for the Caps, and Canada can benefit, why not?

And I won't even call him a turncoat.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ghana actually has a pretty good national soccer team, I am assuming his first goal would try and make that team, and if not then possibly Canada.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0