Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

General Banter

mackers

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WAB,

That is truly strong and brave of her to play, I don't know if I could do that.

I have not heard that story yet but for what it's worth I send my sympathies to your player and her family.

Mackers.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mackers (or anyone else who might know),

How are the rules governing promotion different in the MWSL from the VMSL? Obviously, four Div. 1 winners can all be promoted to Premier. If I'm not mistaken, is Div 1 based some sort of continuum A through D, with 1A being the top division?

UnsureKeeper.

mackers

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keep,

I'm not exactly sure of the promotion guidelines but as for the seperate sides to each division, they are all equal; Division 1A is no higher than Division 1D.

Cheers, Mackers.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In that case, I can't understand how four winning teams (A-D) could all be promoted to Premier -- a division consisting of 9 teams. Could you imagine half of the division getting relegated?

I must look into this further . . .

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
the problem with leagues

Sorry, I don't know how or why you are on this topic, but I'll tell you this,

There are a few 'well known' teams in Div. 1 A that tend to throw a few games towards the end of the season so they don't get pushed up to Prem.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm just waiting for Prem to spread out the talent, then Div. 1A players won't have to worry about getting waxed... oops, Prem B side is already getting waxed. I need to re think this.

~SCjustboredbecausesheisnotplayingpremthisseason.

I believe the big match-up this weekend is UBC Alumni Stown vs the Old UBC Alumni B squad "Westside" 10am Todd field!

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
no way Regsi

I am not merely annoying, am I?

Hey, where do I post the indoor coed game report? ~oh, who cares- no THAT is annoying

~scstillconfusedaboutjinky'scommentsyesterday

mackers

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC,

How do you propose Premier spread out the talent ?? Do you want to hold a draft of all players....??

Mackers.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
no way, jose

Fcku if I know Mackers, you know women, bloody clicky they are. You wouldn't catch Alumni, Surrey or Canadians 'pooling' the players. ~Something about all of them being attached.

We are also at a stage where some of the young talent is away in the US attending colleges, we may have to wait a couple of years until they come back...The talent may spread then. (ie.Christine Sinclair, one of which took my place on Alumni)

~SClookingofrwaysofspreadingthetalent (I have to think about that one for a while)~not so quick today after pints last night:confused:

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spreading talent

I am just starting to understand the problem with the divesity in team talent throughout the premier ranks and from what I have heard, there are 3 or 4 teams in premier, (A side), who would sign 30 players (including University and College players) at the beginning of the season so that they would have enough players for the first few games and then when college univ. finished those players would come to play for the teams who signed them and the players who used to play those positions would sit on the bench for the rest of the season. So they have 10 players sitting on the sideline getting no playing time.

How does that help spread talent to all the teams.

Maybe it's has to do with being on a winning team whether your sitting on the bench or playing I don't know.

I did hear that they put a limit on the number of players a team can sign throughout the year.

Does any of this sound correct to anyone? Was or is this going on?

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda,

I'm certain that that used to occur. My girlfriend used to play for one of the North Van premier teams -- I don't know which -- and she encountered the same problem. When the "star" players made it out, she'd be stuck on the bench for 80-90 minute stretches. As a result, she got fed up and joined the Westside Shooters (Div 1) and she's loving it.

I'm sure this goes on all the time.

You'll have to explain to me, though, the difference between Premier A and B. The MWSL website makes do distinction between the two.

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A and B

There's and interlocking schedule between the two leagues kinda like VMSL Premier with more games being played in your own pool. Unlike VMSL though the sides really are A and B though with A being stronger by design. I think relegation can only happen from B to 1st.

In any case the relegation system can't work well because of the huge gap in skills at or near the top.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
who makes the split decisions anyway?

Okay, I don't want to bore you Yoda, believe me I could go on forever...

~The cap with 20 players has been in effect for two seasons now. As for the Uni players and college players being signed, well, there is usually some kind of 'behind the scenes' wheeling and dealing. ~won't elaborate...

SOME of the managers- can't say "NO" to friends signing on to a team... Not to mention that SOME coaches don't have the BALLs to say "no" either... ~so this is where teams begin to grow in numbers.

Around mid season, injuries kick in and oh, motivation sucks, so, then the Uni/college players pick up the pace. Come Feb. it doesn't matter that you have been at every practice shagging balls with your torn hami, sprained ankle or tendinitis, you still get shafted because everyone is fighting for your spot.

Now, to live in the past, if you look at the first year team of the Alumni back in 1995, the talent was no where near what it is now. And um, Alumni came second in the league, won the Provincials, and took the National Championship. ~So, come October 1996, EVERYONE wanted to join the 'winning team'... My point is that it isn't necssarily the talent you add to the team, but what the team make-up is (style, personality, poise, team cohesion'). Somewhere, those things get lost.

Now I believe there was a certain coach that had it out for this Alumni team (Burnaby Canadians)... As you see, he was the one that was fighting for a 20 player cap, and oh, it was granted. Only to pick up some of the spill over from Alumni. He gained some extremely talented players, but as well, ended up shafting some of his own 'true team players'. I feel bad for those who were replace, and shuttled down to div 1. ~My thing is, Have balls, make cuts, and be straight up with your team focus. Don't just keep adding players and cutting playing time. You know, just because you have a 'name' doesn't mean you should have ALL the playing time in the world.

Is it greed that sets in? Or does no one have the balls to cut?

~scwhowasonceshaftedwithplayingtimeduetoinjuryandotheruncontrolablemeasures

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but would 4 teams from Div 1 be promoted to Premier B? That sounds more than a bit ridiculous: a completely new Premier B side every year.

Another issue aside: I've heard of teams being "pressured" (was the word I've heard used) by the league into being promoted. Does the women's league have so many problems that it feels it needs to manually mold the divisions as it sees necessary?

Sounds like the MWSL needs a new organizing committee.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
as I state a while back...

yes, there are teams that have 'thrown' games towards the end of the season because they don't want to move up.

Personally, if Div. 1 wasn't so dangerous (late tackels, ect) I would play there too.

For the time being, the 'committee' needs to rethink. mmm, I'm not doing much, so maybe I could step in. Rumour has it, I was going to be a part of this coed stuff...

~scnotgettinginvolvedincoedmixedleaguepolitics

Not sure about a total of 4 teams moveing up/down, maybe just 2.

V

Vincent

Don't even get me started on the division amongst 'premiere' women's soccer in Vancouver.
Now that the ass whippins' are supposedly over, there should be some decent soccer being played. Let's hope that the people 'in charge' are able to figure out the disaster that the league has become. I am looking forward to playing in a league where, yes, some pooling happens, or it is based on demographics of where you live, or anything other that the top heavy way it is now. It seems to me to be impossible to have an entire league of ten teams, and to have the top 2-4 teams (depending on opinion) being chock full of talent. I am not taking anything away from the rest of the league, I think there is talent all over the place. I just feel that a team that has several National caliber players is no match for a team that hasn't had the opportunity to have that kind of coaching and training. I think everybody would benifit their soccer skills if they were playing with a couple of experienced players who would not be superstars, but set the tome of the game.
Anyways, I said not to get me started, and look what happened.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It seems to me to be impossible to have an entire league of ten teams, and to have the top 2-4 teams (depending on opinion) being chock full of talent.
Sounds just like the Scottish Premier League.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I give up....

My comments are over, as we all seem to be agreeing on this one!
~Sc:mad:

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mackers, where are you these days?

How is the team looking?

I have my gals out running three days a week now! I haven't seen you out there yet!

What is your take on the weekend? We are going to be short on Sunday...-(whatever, I'll be enjoying my board up in Whistler)

Wolf's v. Hodder Tugs Eton Park (Burnaby Hts Park) Jan 20
10:00
(not sure if I can favour my team here)

W. Richmond Strokes v. Cliff Ave United Brighouse School Jan 20
11:00

Richmond United v. New West Explosion Terra Nova Jan 20
12:00
(Rumour has it, NWest is looking a bit out of shape!)

Westside Storm v. S. Delta Sting Hillcrest SW Jan 20
2:00
(Westside to take this one)
+SCismostlikelywayoffwithherpredictions:eek:

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well we're still in shape.....

We're all ready to go but a few players short...... we'll be lucky if we have 12 players!

And hopefully we'll have our keeper back (after more than 8 WEEKS!!! :eek: ) which will make us a little more comfortable.....

But we're ready to win this weekend!

:cool: Spazz

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0