Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [FVSL Premier] Christmas Review

Who will be relegated this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alright boys, it's gotten a wee bit quiet in here.......and that's not good. Regs has the cheque book out, ready to dish out the Christmas bonus', and I want a few more zeros added to my number!

Lets have some banter here around the season so far. Which teams have impressed you? Which have dissapointed thus far? Who's got the best kit? Who's got the ugliest keeper? I don't give a rat's ass what you say......just say something!

My thoughts on the teams, and season so far:

Team GP W D L PTS
1 LUFC United 11 7 4 0 25

Have to give this team credit. Still not a loss on their record at the break, and definitely have their destiny in their own hands. They are a good side, who make the most of their assets, and have few weaknesses (aside from Fenian). What impresses me most about them though, is the fact that the sum of their parts seems to produce a product on the field which exceeds all expectations. Not the best on paper, but the best where it counts. I see them dropping some points in the new year, but in the end I think Langley will have their first league championship to enjoy in a long while.

Key games remaining: GEU (Jan.14), Chilliwack (TBA)

2 Peace Arch United 13 8 1 4 25

We got off to a great start, trained hard all of August, and came out of the gates well with tons of bodies competing for spots. Injuries have erased much of what was gained, and to be honest, if we were not as deep as we are we would have had to rely on a load of CAT players finishing off 2004 for us. The 3 game slide hurt us badly, and now we must hope that others trip up for a chance at the title. Bodies should start returning in Jan. though, and there is much to play for as Lord Pakenham looms in the not so distant future.

Key games remaining: Poco (Feb.11), GEU (TBA)

3 Chilliwack Rapids 11 6 4 1 22

This team is for real. I said it after the first game of the season, when we snuck 3 points from them at SSA, and my thoughts haven't changed. The scary thing is, they continue to be dominant even with their greatest asset injured and on the sidelines. They are fast down the flanks, and smart in the middle. Seems like they have found the right mix of vetrans and youth, and attained the much covetted 'chemistry' that all teams seek. A real shot at the league championship, and a definite chance to shock some VMSLers in the provincials.

Key games remaining: Delta (TBA), Langley (TBA)

4 DMU United 12 6 3 3 21

My guess is Crafty is wishing the Christmas break could hold off for a while, as this team seems to have found form, and confidence in the last month. Will they be able to continue where they left off? It's always interesting to see which teams come back from the break in form. If I were a betting man (and I am), my money (read tokens) would not be laid against them. They are not unlike Langley in my mind, as I see them squeezing every drop of production from their personnel, and maximizing their potential.

Key games remaining: Chilliwack (TBA)

5 PoCo City Dominion 13 6 3 4 21

This team has challenged GN for the title of 'Most Inconsistent' this season. Playing Langley to a draw in November, and losing to the lowly Sikhs in December has been evidence of this. They are a team that can beat anyone on a given day, and can also be unimpressive. They may play spoiler to teams in contention, and be scary in the Pak cup run.

Key games remaining: Chilliwack (Jan.28), PAU (Feb.11), Delta (TBA)

6 GN Sporting Club 13 6 0 7 18

An unbelievable start...followed by an unparalleled collapse. It looked as if this team would finally shake their mark of inconsistency in the first month of the season, but some trouble in camp seemed to spell the turning of the tides for this team. A very skilled side, that can also beat anyone on a given day. They are not to be taken lightly, and may also prove to be the spoiler for teams in the hunt. The toughest schedule of all, as they have games against all in the top half.

Key games remaining: Chilliwack (Jan.7), PAU (Jan.30), Langley (TBA)

7 GEU Ultra 13 5 2 6 17

What to say about this team. It seems they caught a bit of PAUitis this year, and struggled to motivate themselves after an impressive campaign last season. Injuries have had a part to play in their poor form this year, but they will be strong down the stretch, and a force in cup play, as it would appear their only way into the BC cup would be through an appearance in the final.

Key games remaining: Langley (Jan. 14), Chilliwack (Feb. 11)

8 Whalley Storm 12 4 2 6 14

This team has worked their way into a comfortable spot, out of relegation. They have done so deservingly, playing a hardworking style and making the most of their talent, and youth. Last year's Pakenham semi-finalists could very easily find themselves back in a similar position, and will likely steal more points before the regular season is done.

Key games remaining: PAU (Jan. 14), Langley X 2 (Feb. 11 / TBA)

9 Sikh United Red Devils 14 2 2 10 8

In tough to stay up in the Premier league, the Sikhs will have to add to their 8 points in order to avoid being sent down.

Key game remaining: Lions (Feb. 11)

10 North Delta Lions 14 2 1 11 7

Clinging to their spot in the Premiership, the Lions will claw and scratch as much as they can to stay in the top flight. How fitting it is, to have the last game of the regular season played against their rivals at the bottom. This will certainly be the 'relegation match', with the winner surviving to battle the top Div. 1 teams to determine their fate (assumimg I am correct with the promotion/relegation format).

Key game remaining: Sikhs (Feb. 11)

Please share your thoughts on some, or all.......and do have a say in the 'relegation poll' at the top.

~Skip

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ghost town....

Hello?.......is anyone out there?? :confused:

I see a few people viewing the site, and even a few brave enough to vote on the poll, but still no comments!?

What's the matter with you all!?.......fingers too busy slicing the Christmas turkey to type!? :D

500 tokens donated by me, to the first person (non-moderator) to post something intelligible on this thread.

Tick-Tock,

~Skip

memyselfandi

Sep 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As always - An excellent summary of the year that was. It has been quite a year for the Langley camp. We have had quite the run in 2004. Came out of the gates in the second half last year strong and did not lose a game until our provincial exit against Poco. Thus far we are fortunate enough to have not lost a league game yet this season. That makes one loss (apart from exhibition games - don't think we won one this past year) in 2004.

Now I know that I have jinxed us for 2005 and we will probably go into a prolonged slump.

Just thought it was worth mentioning and a congrats to all of my teammates that have been around for the whole year. (And those that joined us part way through)

Enough ego stroking for today.

Chilliwack to win the league in a landslide!

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
We haaaaave a weiner Jerry! :D

Congrats!......and don't spend all those tokens in one place.

~S

P.S. Who's this Charity you speak of? She sounds hot!

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My two bits about Langley... Being a small part of the team for the past couple of months you can chalk their success to two things... #1. An incredible work ethic and #4 the willingness to do all the little things that need to be done to win and as a bonus the knowledge of LFC2 to keep Dude off the park as long as possible. This is why they win and muck out games, even when an opposing drunk arsed coach says they shouldn't, at 1:30 in the morning. Tidily winks. I have loads of admiration for LFC2 and the direction he's taking his side and I think the guys involved do too, that's why they buy into the program with the afore mentioned work ethic. Never, not once, have I seen anyone dog it. Hell, if memyselfandI is willing to drag that wet mattress tied around his back once a month, LFC2 must be doing something right.

Well played boys. Utah is a bag of dicks...

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sober thought.

OK Knvb I'll bite,

It is 9.30am and even though it is Christmas Eve, this will be an alcohol free post.
First of all this "drunk arsed coach" as you put it, still stands behind the contents of the 1.30am post except the part about LFC2 popping off about how good his team is. :rolleyes: The frustration about our recent record with Langley most definitely came out in the post, however the facts are the facts with regards to how I felt the game was played and what the result should of been....end of story.

Keep up with the tiddly winks, cause I ment that as well... :p

Skip,

Nice work on the review and worth a response...even if it is from someone whose credibility is dodgy at best, especially after a few gold watches.:rolleyes:

LANGLEY FC

Great job thus far and well done to the whole club and coaching staff who have turned this club around in such a short time. The chemistry on and off the field is the secret to their success. They play for each other and are getting the job done. If they don't receive a dent in the armour early in the new year, they will go on to win the league. The game against Chilliwack is huge for both clubs. Good goalkeeping and a decent backline are their best assets. The midfield and forward line is very average.

PAU

Well done to my mate Cainy and the lads for getting the ship back on course after a recent lack of form and poor results. They have introduced a lot of new and younger players to the squad this season as they look to the future of the club. This sometimes has a price and I'm sure the boys of the Nation will be the first to admit this. I think this team will finish well as they look for the provincial spot that eluded them last season. Good goalkeeping, average backline, good midfield and a hot and cold forward line are the main ingredients to this squad.

CHILLIWACK RAPIDS

Most improved team of the year. This team has all the tools on the field to win it all. However, as I have said before, they are very one dimensional. They seem to play all teams the same way, and on the whole, they have been very successful, so who am I to talk. Unfortunately, this will not cut it against good teams who have done their homework and if they are to take it to the next level, they must be able to change it up on the fly. Big games against Langley and Delta will determine their fate this season. Average goalkeeping and backline mixed with a good midfield and good offence is what makes this team tick.

DELTA METRO

Too many average performances has cost this team a real shot at the league title this season. This is a real talented team, but you need more than talent to win the league. As this team plays together more and more, the rest will fall into place, because the other ingredients are there. Don't be surprised to see a good run in from this team as they search for their fifth consecutive provincial spot in five years. Good goalkeeping, very average backline, very good midfield and good forward line will try and get the job done.

POCO CITY

A very up and down season this year thus far for a team that strives to play good football week in and week out. Great chemistry on the field keeps this team together, but I fear it is time to change a few things within the club to make this team as strong as it was two or three seasons ago. I'm sure they will be looking for another Provincial spot, but the competition for spots is getting harder and harder. Good goalkeeping, good backline, average midfield and forward line.

GN SPORT

Mystery team of the year once again. Momemtum is the key for this squad. Once they are on top in a game it is very hard to come back against them, but heads drop very quickly throughout the team when games go against them. They are very talented, but lack in the character and backbone department. This team is more than capable of spoiling the party for any title chasing team, so be very careful when playing these guys and don't take anything for granted. Average team from goalkeeper to forwards who should be doing better.

GEU ULTRA

The wheels well and truly fell off for this team this season. Defending champs have struggled badly to find the form and results from last year. I'm sure they will regroup quickly as did PAU after a similar fate last season and be back in the thick of it next season. Again, another team that will upset top teams if taken lightly and not given the respect that they earned last year. Good goalkeeping, average backline and midfield, very poor upfront.

WHALLEY STORM

Nice addition to the Premier division with a mixed bag of results as they find their feet. I didn't expect much different as they adapt to playing better teams than last year. Good start and something to build on for the future. A few additions in some key spots will help this team enormously. They are only a few players away. Nice job for your first season in Premier. Average team back to front with some not quite premier quality players in the mix.

SIKH UNITED

This team will continue to struggle with the quality of players they have. There is a couple of decent players in the team and they all have a ton of heart and take their football very seriously. Unfortunately it takes a lot more than heart to win games. I've watched these guys a few times and have come to the conclusion that there is never a game plan. As I try to figure out what systems they are playing, there is always something that doesn't makes sense. So either I don't know anything about what I'm watching or they are just winging it week by week. Nice bunch of lads who need to recruit in a big way to remain in the top flight. If they don't beat the Lions in the battle of the bottom, it will be Division One football next season. Below average squad throughout.

NORTH DELTA LIONS

The footballing abilities of this squad has got worse and not better as they move through their second season in the Premier division. A team must try to improve year upon year, but it just hasn't happened for the Lions. They are not a Premier squad this year and struggle every week to get any kind of result. I know most of the players on this team on a personal level and it must be very frustrating for them to deal with the heartache every week. Their core guys are starting to drift away and I see a little evidence of decent within the ranks. Unfortunately they don't get any new talent coming in through the ND Youth programs as they all come to us even though their coaching staff are all on the executive board. I don't know what the fix is for this team, but if they get relagated, I don't see them coming back for a while. Another below average squad throughout with a few decent players in the mix.

That's it from me lads other than to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Don't take my comments tooooooooooo seriously as it's just one mans opinion. Sometimes the truth hurts, but however much it hurts, it still remains the truth.

All the best boys :D

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Sober thought.

crafty cokcney said:
Skip,

Nice work on the review and worth a response...even if it is from someone whose credibility is dodgy at best, especially after a few gold watches.:rolleyes:

Gold watches?.....you lost me on that one mate. :confused:

crafty cokcney said:
GEU ULTRA

very poor upfront.

Then how'd they score three on us!?.........oh yeah.......we have a very average backline. :D That, and the messiah, Laity (sp?)

Thanks for your two bits Crafty, however misguided, and ill-informed it is. ;)

Others?

~Skip

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Skip, your literary skills are being wasted on the youth of Whalley. Once you have that masters safely tucked away, I suggest you going after the job of someone like T Gallagher.

First day back from holiday's, should focus on work, but WTF, no sleep and a ridiculous caffeine buzz. So my three cent's.

From top to bottom.

Langley. Top of the table. Looks good on the group. I think the best is to come for our team, even if not this spring. Ultimate goal is not to be an after thought come BC's. Winning in the valley has always been the means to the end, but would love to build a team in Langley that will be a respected for year's to come. We have the base of player's, facilities will be better in the next 5 years, and putting the club back together has paid big dividends. Gotta say the best thing you can do is sidle up next to the youth club. Great to see the U-18 Metro kid's out training, and getting minutes with the premier. The youth infusion into the team has been the biggest change for us, followed closely by getting the Div 1 boys to buy in this year. That and some good bounces to keep an unblemished record. Well documented that we have stolen a point or more but what team doesn't. I am sure the Wack and PAU can look back upon their win's and come up with a couple of occasions where they were fortunate to take points.
Many have come on here and questioned the skill of this group. Not sure why, but whatever. We have some very good ball players on this team, but like other senior teams, injuries, life, and the lot get in the way of developing into their fullest potential. That's where the team aspect has come in, and will hopefully continue. Fitness and a desire to want it.

PAU. Good year until now, but will be tough to rebound from 3 straight losses. Still see these guy's getting one of the 4 spots though. Good leadership and veteran's, but don't know the kid's well enough to comment. Both games against us were lineups heavily ladened with veteran's.

The Wack. As mentioned very one dimensional, but very good in that dimension. Strong and tidy in the back, and then hump it up to the big guys, and let the races begin. Hard to play a team that goes balls out like that for 90 minutes, and has a fair amount of skill to go with it.

Delta. Crafty, I think like the rest of us living in our glass houses, does not have quite as good a team as he thinks he does. Top half yes, but top of the table, not sure. Could just be a bit of character missing. We had a brutal effort against them, and they did not punish us. The performance of both back ends was not good that day, ours was out of character, not sure of Delta's. Scary team to play.

POCO, inconsistent, a bit too old to go a long ways. Sounds like some internal politics in that area keeping the best from rising to the top.

GEU, can't say. Other than the one game we played against them, very little said, and like POCO, a bit too inconsistent to get a read on.

GN, what can you say? Hope they have an off night on our replay, with temperature hovering in the zero range.

Whalley. Have the heart to stay up. Will be a difficult 6 points to take.

ND Lions. Were looking like they were as thin as ever against PAU a couple weeks back. A team we have never played well against.

SUFC. Said all I needed to earlier.

Don't have a clue who will stay up, I think SUFC has enough bodies to stave off a playoff against number 2 in Div 1, but ND may not. Does number 2 in Div 1 even want to come up????

Happy and safe holiday season to all.

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
LFC2 said:
I think like the rest of us living in our glass houses, does not have quite as good a team as he thinks he does.

Well said, and accurate for us all I think.

I have asked Santa to bring you and your Langley boys a little 'unluckiness' though LFC2. No hard feelings I hope. :D

~S

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Sober thought.

Skip said:
Gold watches?.....you lost me on that one mate. :confused:

Growing up, everything has a rhyme from where I come from... :cool:

Gold watch......Scotch ;)

And I'm glad I got a response from LFC2...

You are starting to become predictable mate, but very good nonetheless.

Touche....with the glass house theory.

Merry Xmas

Time for another gold watch...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Christmas Eve on the Island, and waiting for the wife to get here from the ferry. Thought I’d throw in my bit here on a couple of teams…

Langley

What has been said pretty much tells the story, except for that bit from KNVB. Who do you think pushes these fcukers? LFC2? Please. Whether it’s fear that I’ll take their spot, or fear I’ll bottle it, I have a role. Honestly.

Maybe not.

But that’s cool…now into my third year in the club, and having been part of the growth, it’s astonishing how quickly the side has climbed. When I came to this team halfway through 2002, I was training mostly with Subs guys because the Premier team turnout consisted mainly of LFC2, Nukes, Mike Ohlman and occasionally Hubs. That was it. Pretty much week-in, week-out, we’d have to join the All-Blacks out on the Brown Road gravel for a light session. Bad memories. Now, polar opposite…the sessions are long, sometimes brutal, and always intense. I don’t think we’ve had one with less than 15 guys once. The guys have bought in, and that’s the one reason why it is working. I’m grateful to Sub for originally forcing Nukes to transfer me over so I could help him with the Cat side, happy that LFC2 and Nukes replaced most returning players last season, and ecstatic that it only took one full season to do what I told Nukes I was playing premier to do: win the Pak. I think the best is yet to come, if the lads can keep on the same page, and not kill the coach.

PAU

This team baffles me, now that LUFC has finally managed to break the curse. This is a talented squad…move the ball nicely, and can break an opponent down with precision. The experience on the side is probably the most formidable in the league. The camaraderie within is something to envy. I look to them to make a push in the second half and finish up 3rd, and likely win a Provincial birth.

Chili

What I like about the FVSL is that it is a wide spread league geographically. The Rapids play in arguably the best facility West of Kelowna (save Swanguard). The fan support makes Chiliwhack a fun, but very tough place to play. They have a special situation there, and now they have a team that lives up to the hype. Well done out there boys…

Whalley

As previously mentioned, lots of good friends on that side. Some former teammates (Wagstaff, Gary, Valcamp, Mario), and others I have become well acquainted with through these guys (Nick, Sandro, Mark, Johnny). Especially happy for a guy like Valcamp, who a couple of years ago seemed to have all the talent, but the inability to keep up with the pace. My understanding is he’s the leading goal scorer, and it looks good on him. A great bunch, bottom to top. I’ve always had a ton of respect for Coach Jamie…he works the boys hard on a shitty training ground, but has had their ears and respect for 5 seasons now. Not many teams can make the claim that they climbed all the way from the 3rd division up to the premier ranks, all while keeping a core group in tact. I’ll agree with many opinions here, that they may need to break up that group, and add some veteran premier talent over the next two years in order to climb the ranks…but at the same time, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them do it themselves. They have an odd sort of mojo.

That's it. Quite the love in, eh? :rolleyes:

Don't get the wrong idea...you're a bunch of cnuts. Fcuk off, and have a Merry Christmas.

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the christmas break is the best thing to happen to the Lions, we have had some significant injuries that have been able to heal during this time off. The 'dissent' that crafty speaks about is interesting, i think i would call it a difference of opinion before i called it 'dissent'. Getting some of our starters back after the break will only help things, and my prediction is the lions climbing out of automatic relegation, and fighting for the No. 8 spot, which avoids all talk about relegation (until next year:d)

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sober Thought Part II

crafty cokcney said:
OK Knvb I'll bite,
No need Crafty, your team bites enough for the entire league.

It is 12:40 am and even though it's the crack of Christmas this is certainly and alcohol free post. Honest. It is.

Why do you automatically assume because I'm talking about a drunk arse coach I'm speaking of you? Cainy is, well was, well when his missus let him, a drinker, maybe I was talking about him. Think? The GEU coach must be drunk to let a team go from nearly perfect to nearly shite in 6 short months... What makes you so fcuking special? Ahhh Tidily, I just spilt my winks.

All I want for Christmas is a new suit case said:
Sounds like someone is looking for a spot.
You would know all the above if you stuck around a club for more than a half a season.

Dude said:
Some babble about someone needing you... blah fcuking blah D blah... blah...
Dude, you do play a role and a very important one at that. There needs to be humor in ever situation and somehow, my friend, you even make fitness funny. I've told LFC2 before and I'd say it again, you can NEVER get rid of a guy like Dude. Who the fcuk else will kiss your ass?

Why does everyone's write ups in these threads and about this league sound like regurgitated hockey interviews? You know we just need to do the right things and it'll all work out... We must come mentally focused and work hard to get the results... We need to do the right things day in day out... More work ethic and focus will still get us bounced from the BC's in round 2.... yada, yada, yada....

Ho, Ho, Ho...bring me another

PS. :p

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
A wanting to belong but knowing your not good enough complex. FVSLitis I believe. And I think a few of us at the helms at the moment might be a touch supersticious about foot in the mouthitis.

Crafty, can see the writing on the wall now, Delta Metro vs. LUFC, first round PAK!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0