Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [FVSL D1] Predictions & Banter - September 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
how does phil get a div 1 game, and whitleblower is saddled with div 3 game?

maybe the league fears the midget army.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fair enough Pipo, but I'm not going to take all the blame for his performance. Going by the recent feedback in this thread, it doesn't exactly sound as though this guy has been the second coming of Pierluigi Collina.

And bearing in mind that I am always aware of the case of Kettle v. Pot, even a mere six minutes of truly baffling officiating is going to prevoke some kind of piss-take if the guy is going to insist on leaving the house looking like he's been psyching himself up for the game by listening to Thriller while letting his wife's curlers do their jerry-curl thang.

That being said, I do hope the guy sticks with it. To his credit, he's not one of those refs who never leaves the centre-circle and he's certainly no shrinking violet but just as most players could improve their game by listening to a bit of criticism, so too could this referee benefit by perhaps asking a talented official (who isn't afraid to speak plainly) to watch him and tell him how he could improve his own game.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not going to comment here as a comment simply to pile on because it is fashionable, what I will say is that there are more than a handful of outstanding officials that 'get it' in the Valley, namely Mark Thomas, Pete Thomas, Kevin Uppal, and another guy named Mark IIRC, who's last name is escaping me along with me being sure of his first name... That there is an indication that he is good. If you notice the ref, he is not probably doing a real good job. Everyone will feel hard done by from time to time by officials. They don't have an easy job. That being said us players out for a good time, the camaraderie, the exercise, and the pints doing a hobby/sport we love. The best officials are the ones that fall in line with that. The worst officials come off as the ones who get to be the "Boss" where elsewhere in their life they are not, perhaps their testicles are in their wife's purse, perhaps they are brow beat on a regualr basis at their place of work, and so on and so forth.

Phil have an absolute shocker last year in our first game of the year out in Poco. As seen here in my post this time last year...
The one real breakaway chance we had was blown back for a "Throw in" that went uncalled, and then turned into a free kick Phil had a shocker officiating the game, I think that the size of the field had to have something to do with it as he was dead on for the first 25 minutes or so, but when the pace of play dialed up a bit, he was left in the dust...cannot remember how many times he would motoion to put his whistle to his lips then stop short and change his call or whatever (totti10 can attest to this as he was standing right beside me, as was PKHowler)

It is strange that Uppal was doing a Div 3 game the same time that Phil was doing a Div 1 game, if I read that correct...

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is strange that Uppal was doing a Div 3 game the same time that Phil was doing a Div 1 game, if I read that correct...

it was nice having uppal ref our game. In div 3 we usually get cast offs or jerk offs and it makes for tough football sometimes. having uppal there was a treat. one i hope will happen more often.

Bollocks

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
With Whistleblower there in Div 3 - you'll certainly get fitter with those 97 minute matches :eek:

More importantly, doesn't the Valley use evaluators to assess the quality of the officiating? I seem to recall that in the VMSL (earlier in my "career") that this was the case. Anyone? Bueller?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Probably not...

With the new Registration system, getting ID cards out etc... I'm happy and thining we are blessed the games got off without incident. nevermind ranking officials.

I think the good should be applauded more often when they are good... and managers, when you get a good performance from a ref, don't just tell him afterwards, send in a ref report, it takes all of 5 minutes to do so, and the league probably appreciates the feedback, rather than just sending in scathing reports when you lost and the ref had a bad game... I don't think those help the league at all.

If they get 1 bad for every 15 good reports the bad ones will be treated with more care and attention one would think.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Probably not...

With the new Registration system, getting ID cards out etc... I'm happy and thining we are blessed the games got off without incident. nevermind ranking officials.

I think the good should be applauded more often when they are good... and managers, when you get a good performance from a ref, don't just tell him afterwards, send in a ref report, it takes all of 5 minutes to do so, and the league probably appreciates the feedback, rather than just sending in scathing reports when you lost and the ref had a bad game... I don't think those help the league at all.

If they get 1 bad for every 15 good reports the bad ones will be treated with more care and attention one would think.

I sent in a scathing one and we won :) Now that I'm a "manager" I plan to send one every week, good or bad, win or lose.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Has anyone checked the standings page yet? A cool upgrade, if you click on a team it gives you their home and away stats, pretty cool for this year.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Noticed it too.

The mediocre site is slowly but surely improving. It may even exceed the excellent site right now. Can we switch them up yet Regs? Can the VMSL be the mediocre site now, and the FVSL the excellent site?

Seriously, I thought it was much cleaner, much more pleasing on the eyes.

The early schedule this year, the web registration (still some bugs, but a step in the right direction), and what appears to be some more prep work through the summer has made the beginning to the season much more streamlined than in years past. My one and only beef really is their baffling insistence on trying to keep so many teams in Div. 1, when the opportunity was ripe to reduce them- considering the teams folding. Those issues did arise after the fact, but still, the silver platter promotions before weren't required, and will only water down the league.

All that said, the actual business and organization that is the FVSL seems to be well run and organized as opposed to the years under previous leadership...a job well done.

There you go Cloughie...I threw you some roses. This should at least save me one scathing e-mail or two through the year.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The FVSL website is going in the opposite direction IMHO if it wants the "excellent site" moniker.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’ll bite- I always do.

I understand this site is called takethepiss.com, not takeittoheard.net, but please confirm you are indeed takingthepiss?

Besides a really shitty flash intro that doesn’t even show players from their own league, then a vmsl that looks like was written by a kindergartener, what does the site offer that gives it “excellent” status over “mediocre” status? Unless it is like golf, lower score being better?

Granted…Azzi’s weekly reports are stellar. Maybe the FVSL needs an ASS assisted, thesaurus armed rogue reporter doing something similar.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’ll bite- I always do.

I understand this site is called takethepiss.com, not takeittoheard.net, but please confirm you are indeed takingthepiss?

Besides a really shitty flash intro that doesn’t even show players from their own league, then a vmsl that looks like was written by a kindergartener, what does the site offer that gives it “excellent” status over “mediocre” status? Unless it is like golf, lower score being better?

Granted…Azzi’s weekly reports are stellar. Maybe the FVSL needs an ASS assisted, thesaurus armed rogue reporter doing something similar.

You seriously need confirmation?
Maybe I need to be taken out back and shot, but, I do believe the "excellent site" title reeks of sarcasm.
Not sure if I reaaaly needed to point that out to you, but, with Dude, you never know.

Now piss off, i'm busy copyright dude 2006

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That may be the case, Phil. It is difficult to tell w/ Regs these days. He won't return e-mails, he never uses smiley faces anymore. I really do think he's big timing me.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Suc cess

Im on my way, Im making it
Ive giot to make it show, yeah
So much larger than life
Im going to watch it growing

The place where I come from is a small town
They think so small