Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fergie believes Ruud has treble chance

ArticleBot

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fergie believes Ruud has treble chance

Sir Alex Ferguson believes Ruud van Nistelrooy can treble his goal haul of last season after watching the Dutch striker get off the mark in Manchester United's first competitive game of the new campaign.

Van Nistelrooy managed only 16 goals in all competitions last season - and only six in the Barclays Premiership - but his contribution to a one-sided victory over Hungarian champions Debrecen was enough to convince Ferguson that he will be back to his best.

The United manager also signalled that he expects the other goalscorers last night - Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo - to contribute more this season than last.

Ferguson said: 'The three of them scoring gives us great impetus.

'Ruud is our main source of goals and there are 30 extra goals there, we know that, and he is off to the start he would have hoped.

'Ronaldo got only nine goals last season and I think he could score double that - he didn't score his first until October last year.

'Wayne got 17 last season which was a great return when you consider the time it took for the transfer to go through and the recovery from his injury. Hopefully there will be more from him now he has started right away.'

The 3-0 win virtually guarantees Champions League football next season although there is a second leg in Budapest in a fortnight.

The victory was enough for the Glazer brothers to celebrate with the United players in the dressing room after the game - their first at Old Trafford since taking over the club.

Ferguson added: 'They went into the dressing room and congratulated the players - the spent about 20 minutes in there, it was good.

'The brothers have a good sporting background. I am sure they are reasonably acquainted with the game of football but I think they have enthusiasm to learn more, which if you own a club you should want to anyway.'

The United manager also expressed his relief that there were no anti-Glazer protests inside the ground - there was a march outside before kick-off - other than the boycott which meant there were 16,000 empty seats.

He added: 'The fans were solidly behind the team and that was pleasing because there were some inner fears within the club, myself included, that maybe there was going to be some sort of protest which doesn't do you any good.

'Fortunately the fans forgot everything that has happened and got on with supporting the team, and the team responded.'

Ferguson was also pleased with the overall level of performance from his players.

'It was our first competitive game and I am pleased with the state of our fitness,' he said. 'Debrecen had played seven competitive games before this and we expected this to be a test.

'We acquitted ourselves very well - and the game will help us for the start of the league season.'

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
Wouldn't it be nice rolling into World Cup... eh?

The future is orange.

So you are Scottish when you argue with Bulljive but jump onto the wagon, or is that bike, for the World Cup?...actually I don't blame you since Scotland seems to think they are a football nation.

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tripling his goal output. Guess it depends on how many penalty shots he draws and takes. It is the only way he will ever score over 20.

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
Wouldn't it be nice rolling into World Cup... eh?

The future is orange.

they have wooden shoes, old potatoe chips, and windmills, but a world cup trophy................easy glass pipe! not in our lifetime
.....oh yeah......you've got that panocake house too ;)

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
don't forget legal pot, hookers, and the best fukcing chees in the world. The world cup is going to Brazil or the dutch.

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
i figured that would strike a chord with you.
do you have negative dutch post radar on your computer?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0