Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Convoluted Canadian System ......

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is no way our National Teams are going anywhere in the next World Cup qualifying. No chance. Until we do a complete overhaul of the whole system and those within it, we are done. Our system is so entrenched that the only way it can be righted is to have a trusted and well known personality enter the scene who knows how to be autocratic.

Things are so convoluted right now. It's like trying to untangle your ear buds before a workout. There are some knots that are happy to be and they are hoping the "right" person doesn't come along to untangle them.

I have an inventory of discussions and events in my tenure as a youth coach that have allowed me to speak in this regard. I have been a good citizen but I am fed up. I am shocked at how some of our CSA staff can strut around without any regard of their poor track record. They are delusional thinking they can pass blame towards the grassroots youth coaches for the mess we are in.

I tried to mesh into their system, only for the greater good, but I just don't fit in and I am damn thankful I don't. I think differently. I understand my environment and who has the hammer and who needs to be empowered. The sacrifices my players, my coaching colleagues, and my peers have made have been taken for granted by these guys who have made a living in our game without accountability.

SO MANY of our gifted and best players have been completely mishandled by these guys. I wonder how many of these guys have taken a poor player and made him average to good, or a good player from good to excellent, or an excellent player and allowed him/her to become elite? No. They have never been through the phases of development from mini up, dealing with limited field space, misinformed parents, multiple distractions of Canadian society. They just take what we give them and pass judgement after running them through these inert ineffective but highly CSA abiding training scenarios. Then when it doesn't work, it's our fault.

Still love this game and my players.The only thing keeping me going.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Ballbaby

Well put!

Question is, who is out there that is a well known personality that could pull off such a huge overhaul?

I've been having some interesting discussions just this past week related to another project I'm working on and one of the things that has come up is the lack of real support when it comes to the LTDP -

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are way more focused on girls soccer than men's soccer nationally if you take a look at it. Maybe that is the way we we want to go but that is the status quo right now. Men's soccer is doomed at the present in this country. I do not think there is a national appetite for it. Better off to put money in the girl's game and pump a bunch of money into hockey, including the NHL draft day and the Spengler Cup etc..and the Brier and the TSN Pins game, and of course the Leafs.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are way more focused on girls soccer than men's soccer nationally if you take a look at it. Maybe that is the way we we want to go but that is the status quo right now. Men's soccer is doomed at the present in this country. I do not think there is a national appetite for it. Better off to put money in the girl's game and pump a bunch of money into hockey, including the NHL draft day and the Spengler Cup etc..and the Brier and the TSN Pins game, and of course the Leafs.

Sir M, the
@Ballbaby

Well put!

Question is, who is out there that is a well known personality that could pull off such a huge overhaul?

I've been having some interesting discussions just this past week related to another project I'm working on and one of the things that has come up is the lack of real support when it comes to the LTDP -

Regs, can you elaborate on the assumption by some that the LTPD model is not being supported? Clearly, the model is needed, but the manner it is implemented and supported and sustained by those empowered to do so is key.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nothing wrong inherently with the LTDP from what I'm hearing but the people in charge of implementing at times come up against volunteer-based boards that don't necessarily buy into it 100% of the time - and what happens then is that the governing bodies don't provide the support needed (or mandate compliance) and TDs can be left twisting in the wind in that situation as it is the club boards that determine whether they are employed or not.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nothing wrong inherently with the LTDP from what I'm hearing but the people in charge of implementing at times come up against volunteer-based boards that don't necessarily buy into it 100% of the time - and what happens then is that the governing bodies don't provide the support needed (or mandate compliance) and TDs can be left twisting in the wind in that situation as it is the club boards that determine whether they are employed or not.
I agree with all of that - it happens at HPL clubs and elsewhere.
But, this thread is about the regrettable fact that we have not been developing players for the national team. The CSA changed the system on the boys side so that the 3 MLS teams, Vancouver TO and Montreal, will supply the national team with future players, and those players are expected to come from the MLS teams residency programs where they can train 5 times a week and play games on weekends. LTPD requires 5 practices a week for highschool age kids.
HPL and its counterparts in other provinces are not expected to develop players for the national teams, they develop players for colleges and universities, although they odd HPL player will get some time on a MLS residency team. HPL teams practice 3 times a week, and I have been told that most parents of HPL players do not want more than 3 practices per week.
A MLS residency program can treat its players differently than a HPL club because HPL clubs charge parents up to $3,000 per year. A MLS residency team does not have to follow a 50% playing time rule for players. The MLS Residency team can play someone 90 minutes each game, to help develop the kid so he can make the MLS team in the future. It can also tell another kid to sit on the bench all the time if the MLS club thinks the kid has no chance of developing into a MLS player. HPL teams cannot treat players the same way.
The bottom lines are 1) HPL is not really important for our mens national teams and 2) the elite player portion of LTPD is not really relevant to HPL.
HPL is still important on the girls side.
I expect people who are involved in HPL, either as volunteers or as paid staff, will disagree with these comments.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
"I have been told that most parents of HPL players do not want more than 3 practices per week."

It is hard to believe that! Most parents, who pay a couple of thousands (or more) for their kids to play HPL, certainly hope their kids can make it big (which means practicing more than 3 times a week).
The whole system is wrong. The most talented need to play at the highest possible level free of charge but something like that is impossible in Canada. Simply put, there is no enough interest from the wealthy sponsors. It is all about hockey in this country (which is totally ridiculous).

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"I have been told that most parents of HPL players do not want more than 3 practices per week."

.... It is all about hockey in this country (which is totally ridiculous).

I agree with everything else in your statement, and not to get too far off topic, but why is that ridiculous? Free enterprise, and when something comes along where a sponsor can see better value, they'll invest in it. Its good to be associated with hockey in this country; it means you are associated with winning. It's good to be associated with women's soccer, too. Its not good to be associated with boys or men's soccer.

Anyhow, back to the show everyone, nothing to see here...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But, this thread is about the regrettable fact that we have not been developing players for the national team.
I disagree personally with that statement. I think players are being developed but they are not being identified properly or put into situations where they can succeed and have their abilities 'tapped' into.

What we are seeing at the National Team level these days I can almost guarantee are NOT the most gifted players in the country.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, and holy fcuk! Can't say I'm shocked, and thank God I got my girl's squad out of there three years back. What a mess, and what a screw job to all the families, both if any of this proves to be true, and if this actually prevents those teams from playing this winter.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The whole system is wrong.
The system is wrong without a doubt. How can we expect to develop the best players when we are asking them to pay upwards of $3000 per year for the privilege of playing at the top level? When there were no snake oil salesmen in this country making a living off of the game, Canada was qualifying for the World Cup. Have a look at that '86 roster to see where a vast majority of those players played their football in the formative years. When everyone that sat next to someone who knew someone who played 15 minutes for a 4th tier Welsh club is now a "Technical Director" earning six figures, and charging "the best" to play, we have a problem. Until someone stands up and yells that the emperor has no clothes, what realistically is the expectation? #mikefindlayistheasstcoachofournationalteam

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You also have a club system in men's amateur soccer (locally) that is not amateur and does not breed loyalty....with a few notable exceptions ( Columbus, Inter, Richmond, SU, Westside, West Van etc). If talented kids go to teams where they get a couple of hundred bucks a week to put up their nose or buy earrings how is that ever going to help men's soccer in this country? There is something drastically wrong with the leadership and I am doubtful that it can be fixed.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0