Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Champions League 2001/02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First games on Apr 2/3

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER-FINAL DRAW

Panathinaikos v Barcelona
Bayern Munich v Real Madrid
Deportivo La Coruna v Manchester United
Liverpool v Bayer Leverkusen

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Adding to Sandman's post

(posted on Sportsnet Mar. 22, 9:38AM EST)
NYON, Switzerland --

UEFA also made the potential semifinal draw, and the result is the possibility of an all-German or all-Spanish final. Manchester United and Liverpool can only meet in the semifinals.

Real Madrid, rated the 11-4 favourite after the draw, could meet archrival Barcelona in the two-leg semifinals, scheduled for April 23 or 24 April and April 30 or May 1. Real could meet Deportivo in the final at Glasgow's Hampden Park on May 15.

If Bayern Munich gets past Real Madrid in the April 2 or 3 and 9 or 10 quarter-finals, it will face either Barcelona or Panathinaikos, the 25-1 outsider. If Leverkusen beats Liverpool, it will face either Manchester United or Deportivo in the semis.

Wee prediction: Man United beat Barcelona in the Final!!!

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TV Schedule

Seeing as how TSN has blessed us with World Curling CHampionship....

What channels are offering the Champions LEague games...

Sattelite? What channels?
:confused:

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TSN

Zaurrini, I know it is rubbish, but they are showing the Barcelona match on a tape delay @ midnight tonight and the Munich/Madrid match tomorow @ midnight... :mad: Apparently in Canada Colleen Jones is more popular than George Best!!!:rolleyes:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fantastic result for Leverkusen. "Saw" the last 1/3 on live-web broadcasting -- why couldn't they have shown that game on the tube?

Meanwhile, just finished watching the Spanish-Greek clash. Not a single farm animal safe in this one. Sad to see the greeks looking for comfort in wool tonight.

Are we looking at a '99 rematch? The tension would be phenomenal. An all-German final wouldn't be all bad either, would it? :cool:

Slav

Mar 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Personally I would have loved to see an all "Bundas" final, but B.Munich didn't make it through, personally I think German soccer is the most exciting to watch (English is just to boring), so it would have been nice to 2 of the top teams to go at it.

max blink

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Real Madrid more deserving

An all German final?

You must be kidding me. That would be awful, although Leverkeusen's play is an exception to the rule. But again we have at least half of the Champions League semi-finalists from La Liga, which now must have proven itself to be the best in the world, while also being the most entertaining and technically advanced.

Even losing half a step, Zidane and Figo are an amazing left-right combo, and I can't wait to see them come up against Luis Enrique, Saviola, and the rest of the Catalans contigent in the semis.

max

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Damn shame.

I said to my friend, "Bayern would be stupid to sit on the one win lead, and just try to hold Real to no goals." Idiots. They deserved to get chucked from that one. They have shown in the past that they can hold their own offensively with "the greats", but they insist on playing a defensive system which relies on counterattacks. I hate that.

Nevertheless, you've got to applaud a club that can succeed as they have done without the likes of big-name stars like Figo, Carlos, Beckham, and Zidane.

------------------

Meanwhile, you've got to wonder what's going to happen in the all-Spanish semi between teams that could have UEFA trouble from their fans' garbage-throwing behaviour. Two days, and two players hit by objects thrown on the field. I've heard that the usual punishment dished out has the game moved to a neutral venue, thereby removing any home advantage. Is this true? I must investigate.

------------------

So, Leverkusen it'll be then. Not necessarily who will win, but who I want to win. Followed by, [shudder] Man United. Let's just keep those dirty Spaniards (read: divers and ankle-breakers) from taking the cup home.

Slav

Mar 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
max blink

I must dis-agree, yes the "La Liga" has excellent teams, with excellent players on those team. But compare the amount of money those Spanish teams spend to the amount of money the German teams spend. For example, lets take Real Madrid vs. Bayern Munich, both very good teams, but Real M. is probably spening a lot more money then Bayern M. is (I don't know the figures, but a pretty good guess). Real Madrids policy is even: to bring in a superstar player every year (got that off of www.soccernet.com -- a couple of weeks ago). Now which team in the world can have a policy like that? Only the ones with really deep pockets. The Bundesliga is the most technically sound league in the world, simply those Germans know how to play!!!

Could you even argue that the "La Liga" has bought their power in world soccer? Compared to the "Bundes" being more of a home built league, that has earned it with out nearly as much money? Thats up for arguments, but I think you know who I will side with in that.

Next season will be an interesting one with the Bundesliga especially because many of the clubs will be tight on their budget as tv revenues will almost seemilgly end to exist, with tv giant Kirch claiming for bankruptcy. Now then, if the Bundesliga, still next year has a strong Champions League/UEFA Cup too, then it will surely prove it self as the best football league in the world.

-Slav

max blink

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
workmanlike efficiency

Slav:

if your point is that the Bundesliga is the best technical and most entertaining league without big money or big stars, i just may agree with you, but you really can't take them out of the equation when you are rating the best domestic league in the world. The proof is the number of Spanish teams still in contention. Real and Barca may spend sh*tloads, but in both cases, bringing in the best players makes better soccer, if not always value for money.

although there will only be one Spanish team in the finals.

max

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Slav

How can you say the top players in the world aren't the most gifted and entertaining to watch??? Let the Krauts have the technical strategies and their bankrupt TV deals... There is no way in hell they play exciting football or even have the best players in the world... The best play in the English Premiership or Espana's La Liga!!! Up until this season Italia Serie A has always produced dominant teams entered into the Euro compititions... this is due to the amount of world class players in it... However their National program is trying to clamp down on foreign players competing on their Club squads... possibly a reason for their early dismisile from this year's Champions League...
Unfortunatly today (along with Dutch Football) the Bundusliga is not in the same class as the top three International Leagues... That is the reason the German/Dutch top international players are playing in Spain, England or Italy!!!:eek:

but they insist on playing a defensive system which relies on counterattacks. I hate that.
Keeper isn't that what the Germans are known for???:rolleyes: Paint drying football ala Germany...

Slav

Mar 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
maxi-pad :p

Yes, I do agree with you that bringing in the best players and spending sh*t loads by doing it, does make the La Liga an exciting league but not the best. The La Liga may have more superstars playing it, but there are numerous amounts players in the Bundesliga that can deff. hold their own against those other superstars that you will never hear of. The thing is that the clubs in the Bundesliga do not need to spend as much money as the clubs in the La Liga to be succesfull, simply because the quality of football is better in the Bundesliga, so the players in the Bundes have a chance to play higher caliber teams week in and week out. Personally I see this argument becoming repetative, as we both have different opinions on what we consider entertaining.

Guinness

How can you at all consider the EPL and exciting game to watch? All it is a defender humping the ball to a foward, same ol' same ol', many times not even considering/using the midfield into the equation.

Also, I added this months ESPN World Club ranking, just to see how things look like in the rankings. 5 spots are taken by German teams, including the top spot, Bayer Leverkusen and the fifth spot by Bayern Munich . Four spots are taken by Spanish teams, and three by English teams. I think it is also important to note that Brazil and Argentina should be considered amongst the top leagues, as they are sound very exciting (never really seen a game, highlights and news only).

ESPN's World Club Top 25: April 7, 2002
Club Country Points Last Week

1. Bayer Leverkusen Germany 283.63 1
2. Liverpool England 276.99 2
3. Real Madrid Spain 276.95 3
4. Manchester United England 271.29 5
5. Bayern Munich Germany 268.26 4
6. Inter Milan Italy 256.83 6
7. Arsenal England 250.15 10
8. Deportivo La Coruna Spain 250.05 7
9. Borussia Dortmund Germany 247.36 9
10. River Plate Argentina 245.92 8
11. Sao Caetano Brazil 236.65 11
12. Juventus Italy 229.95 13
13. Valencia Spain 228.98 15
14. Barcelona Spain 228.15 14
15. AS Roma Italy 226.33 12
16. Celtic Scotland 219.62 20
17. Boca Juniors Argentina 215.48 16
18. Schalke Germany 211.90 18
19. AC Milan Italy 205.40 17
20. San Lorenzo Argentina 203.66 21
21. Feyenoord Netherlands 202.19 19
22. Atletico PR Brazil 200.00 23
23. Hertha Berlin Germany 197.92 25
24. Racing Club Argentina 197.90 24
25. Gremio Brazil 195.88 22
Dropped out:
None

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Having Fox Sportsworld Canada allows me to watch games from a number of Leagues around the world.

Here is how they rate according to me.

Argentina, Excellent, world class league despite the fact that most of the country's big stars play overseas.

Brasil, Very Poor, probably because most of the country's big stars play overseas.

Chile , Not bad, it's like the Fraser Valley Premier,....with passing.

Holland , Other than Feyenoord, watching these games are like working 12 hour shifts in a German coal mine in order to pay for a failed kidney transplant for your niece.

Scotland , One team league. I suppose it's good if you like Pong.

Germany , Just drink a couple of bottles of Nyquil and you'll get the same effect as watching most Bundesliga matches. Borrusia Dortmund and Leverkusen excluded. If you listen closely though, you can faintly hear Toby Charles under the Max Bretos commentary.

England , It will be perfect once the Auld Firm joins.

Spain , FSWC doesn't carry Premiera Liga games but I would have to agree with Max Blink on this one. Simply look at the number of Spanish clubs appearing in major European finals in the last few years if you doubt it's dominance.

Slav

Mar 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just want to "try" to clear something up here ok. What are we judging the leagues by?

a) entertainment
b) quality of teams
c) the most technically sound
d) all of the above

It seems like we're chating about diff. aspects of the league. Did I miss anything?

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually, we're chatting about the Champions League. You missed the "New Thread" button at the bottom of the page.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Slav

To answer your question, we are trying to decide which has the best league therefore we must be judging all of the above!!! I realise this is a Champions League thread, however all of the teams involed are from various leagues... (except the wops for an odd reason)??? :rolleyes:
Jinky good assesment, I haven't watched the South American Leagues so I can't really comment on those, but imagine the EPL with the Old Firm involved???:eek: It would be brilliant!!!

Guinnesslovesentertainingtoughfootball:cool:

Slav

Mar 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness

imagine the EPL with the Old Firm involved??? It would be brilliant!!!

I would have to agree with you there for sure, no doubt about it, as would probably every other fan would too.

BUT, if were taking everything into consideration, the Bundesliga would have to be considered the top league:

a) entertainment- the top teams are at similar level, which makes for entertaining competion. Also, every year in the Bundes, there seems to be a new challenger for the league title;Schalke 04 would be in the top three this year?

b) quality of teams- just look at how many teams are ranked in the worlds top 25, and how far they progressed in the CL. Same could be said for the La Liga as well. But look at who faced tougher opponents in the CL, the German teams did.

c) the most technically sound- they are perhaps the strongest techinically, they made it into an art form.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Real v. Barca

Anybody hear what happened in yesterday's game? I can't find a report anywhere (including the UEFA Champions League site). Schedules show that it was supposed to be played yesterday and was on TSN.

Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0