Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian National Team

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Way back in 1991, Leo Rautins thought about ditching the Canadian national basketball team to play for Lithuania. Now, the Toronto native's job is to convince others not to have negative thoughts about Canada Basketball, like he once did.

The Raptors television analyst and ex-NBA player signed a four-year contract to coach the national team yesterday, despite having no previous coaching experience.

"At the time, there weren't a lot of people saying (changes were needed in attitude and funding methods)," said Rautins, whose parents were born in Lithuania. "I was vocal, but understand where that came from. It wasn't about me. It's about the team. I wanted things different."

Rautins will have the chance to make things different with the struggling program, beginning at the world championship qualifying tournament, Aug. 24-Sept. 4 in the Dominican Republic. Some players, many speculate, feel no connection to the national program. That will change, Rautins said.

"I don't know if everyone has felt it's been fair for all players in the past," Rautins said. "I don't care if you're east coast, west coast, black, white, yellow, green. If you can play, we're going to be looking at you." - Toronto Sun

Isn't this like picking Rod Black to coach Canada's figure skaters?
The guy can announce (sort of) but hasn't ever coached!
This can't be something to look forward to for our Canadian players and it sure as hell isn't going to get Steve Nash back.
How do you get respect from players when you've never coached a game?

B

Blahzay

I can't blame Leo for wanting to play for Lithuania I mean who wouldn't want to be teammates with Arvydas Sabonis, and as for his coaching inexperience, i'm sure he's gained much knowlegde from working with such experts as James Duthie and Suneel Joshi :rolleyes: . I am mostly concerned with his ability to recruit Canada's best talent, If he can Magloire, Samuel Dalembert and the return of Nash then i'll be happy but i'm not too optimistic.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0