Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bill Nicholson - One of the all time greats

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
For all you followers of the English Premiership and football in general, check out this website www.knightbillnick.co.uk. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts and comments about this issue. ( For those of us that are old enough to remember him.) ;)

Cheers

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Crafty,

Absolutely right they should Knight him...well overdue.

His double winning side of 1961 is still regarded by many (of those old enough to have witnessed it play) as the best English side ever.

Dazza :D

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spurs legend Nicholson passes away

LONDON, Oct 23 (Reuters) - Flags flew at half-mast and a minute's silence was held before Tottenham Hotspur's match with Bolton Wanderers at White Hart Lane on Saturday in memory of ex-Spurs manager Bill Nicholson who died earlier in the day at the age of 85.

Tottenham legend Bill Nicholson (AdamDavy/Empics)

The silence was observed impeccably by fans of the two teams after former players paid tribute in the rain. Those present included ex-England and Tottenham midfielder Paul Gascoigne.

Both sets of players wore black armbands in a match won 2-1 by Bolton.

Before the kickoff, former Spurs heroes told the crowd of their recollections of Nicholson.

Martin Chivers, a fine striker with the club from 1968-76, said: 'One of my great memories was the day he bought me and brought me into this great club. We had great times in the 1970s, very successful and he has left a great legacy behind.'

Mel Hopkins, a team mate of Nicholson when Spurs won the league in 1951, said ' People forget what a great player he was as well as being a great manager.

'He scored on his only appearance for England with his first touch of the ball and was an outstanding player.'

Ex-England international Martin Peters, who joined the club in 1970, said: 'He is among the all-time great British managers along with Sir Matt Busby, Bill Shankly and Don Revie.

'When he became manager of Spurs in 1958 we were fourth from bottom and within three years we had won the double. He was a true football man and a perfectionist.'

Former Northern Ireland goalkeeper Pat Jennings said: 'This is a very sad day for everybody because he was an unbelievable man and an unbelievable gentleman.

'I'm sure he would have survived in the Premiership today. He was one of the all-time great managers.'

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0