Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beckham Coming to America

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good for soccer in NA all around, weather you like him or not; that's irrelivent. But there are going to be some disapointed Yanks when they go to the park expecting Beckham to be Ronaldinho and they see that he is not a dazzling player. Hard working and great on deadball situations, yes. But not what they are going to expect.
But still, great for anyone who loves the game here. For the Beckham Haters out there, tell me; had we (Vancouver) got the stadium built and were awarded the MLS spot that went to T.O. tell me that you would have zero interest in seeing him come to town.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Without the World Cup in '94, the US would have never been on the map for ANY player to come over to, that's the connection, that's the 'improvement'.

The MLS is not THAT bad of a league. Like him or not, Beckham is a class player. If he does well in this environment, I think you will see a huge change in the quality of players coming into the league.

Frank Yallop is on record in the past as saying he would bring up the Galaxy to play the Caps - would make for a pretty special opening of the new stadium downtown in a few years :D

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Edgar Davids will move to Dallas or Kansas City at season close at Spurs.
Patrick Kluivert's name is also being bandied about on the Euro messageboards as potentially heading to Chicago or Columbus.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow all this hype reminds me of when I chose to step down and play Div 2 on the GEU Tigers. The fcuken fans were relentless including the other players wives.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
aekara said:
Pele and Beckenbauer have already been here. The World Cup has been here in 1994 and I don't see much improvement so far.

Personally I don't see football being part of American culture. The only people that love soccer in the states are the Latinos. And they have no real emotional commitment to the MLS. Up here it seems like the majority of fans are either immigrants or children of immigrants (first generation Canadians).

Beckham will be huge for the MLS, he will draw a ton of attention to it, but can he make Americans forget that they don't actually like soccer???

If this site wasn't called Take The Piss, I'd think you were serious :rolleyes:

So, you haven't seen much improvement since 1994 have you ?? When's the last time you've been down to the US and witnessed all the money they're putting into youth academies, training facilities and coaching ?? I'm down every year (mostly in the summer) and have seen first hand how much more advanced the US are in development.

The only people that love soccer in the States are the Latinos ??!! LOL !!!! How many 'Latinos' were on the last few World Cup Squads that played ??

It's true that soccer in the US is not as popular as baseball or basketball but come on man, if you're going to throw down daft statements like you do, surely you have facts to stand behind :rolleyes:

Your taxi's waiting ...........

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Beckham coming to America must be handled correctly by the US soccer association and the MLS or things could get out of hand and become a three ring circus in no time. If it does, this will have a reverse effect on soccer in the US.
We know the LA Galaxy franchise does not have this sort of cash and this deal is obviously being bank rolled by Beckhams sponsors i.e. Adidas etc. David is not going to some obscure place with a franchise, he is off to the place of Hollywood and Walt Disney. This is about major marketting potentials throughout the whole of the United States for Beckham and his sponsors.
I'm not saying this is wrong, quite the contrary. This is a smart move for the Beckhams and if I was in his shoes, I would do the same. The US have made great strides forward in establishing their creditability with their national program set up and their MLS league. This is perfect timing for Beckham and his entourage to explore the US market.
I just hope that anyone who matters in football in America taps into what made David a great player and utilizes those attributes to further the development of football in the US rather than letting his celebrity status get out of hand.
This will be great experience for FY and I hope that Beckham will help Frank in a positive way. His International and European experiences of playing at the top in world football will help Frank become a better coach with the possiblity of furthering his own career down the road.

Cheers

aekara

Nov 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walks said:
If this site wasn't called Take The Piss, I'd think you were serious :rolleyes:

So, you haven't seen much improvement since 1994 have you ?? When's the last time you've been down to the US and witnessed all the money they're putting into youth academies, training facilities and coaching ?? I'm down every year (mostly in the summer) and have seen first hand how much more advanced the US are in development.

The only people that love soccer in the States are the Latinos ??!! LOL !!!! How many 'Latinos' were on the last few World Cup Squads that played ??

It's true that soccer in the US is not as popular as baseball or basketball but come on man, if you're going to throw down daft statements like you do, surely you have facts to stand behind :rolleyes:

Your taxi's waiting ...........

I'm not talking about academies and how they're improving. I'm not arguing that they're progressing in that regard.

But you still don't see any significant amount of coverage in the American media. Unless it becomes a part of their culture, it will never improve to hte degree I'm talking about. It has to move out of being a fringe sport and into being one of the main sports.

Yes lots of kids play, that's always been the case. It's inexpensive. Now they're putting more money into it but they put lots of money into all their sports don't they? That's why they win every single Olympic Games. $$

About the Latinos, I said they love soccer I never said they were good at it. :wa: Besides how can they play for the NT when half of them aren't even legal citizens?

aekara

Nov 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
Frank Yallop is on record in the past as saying he would bring up the Galaxy to play the Caps - would make for a pretty special opening of the new stadium downtown in a few years :D

That would be awesome. I hope the Whitecaps will be an MLS team by then.

T-Idiot

Sep 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Per Crafty
I hope they do handle it properly
N.A. soccer doesn't require another NASL

per other post's Kluivert Davids .. too much of a good
thing can be a bad thing

Is Stoichkov- ( spelling former Bulgarian natl player and Barcelona player ) still playing in the MSL ?
T

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
T:

Stoichkov is now the coach of the Bulgarian national team.

Beckham coming to the US is a good thing for the game and the Beckhams.
As said earlier, let's hope we don't see another NASL-like failure and they learn from those earlier mistakes.

Cheers,
RF

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good stuff..........it's nice to sign 'has beens'.........I heard Glen Hoddle is going to be signed along with Rivelino.

NASL - The Sequel

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great news for MSL and the Canadian game

At 31 years, I'd like to think Becks has still got a few good seasons left in him and should score some great free kicks along the way. He was pushed out of the England squad much too quickly considering the lack of star power that country ever provides. He may become a glamorous Hollywood figure, but the man will help endorse our sport throughout North America. He has already got daft Yanks talking about 'soccer' on TV and radio shows across the continent.

This is definately a positive move for his career as well as great for the game over here.

BTW, a Mo Johnson interview on the score revealed Toronto FC would get a game vs Rangers now that his old pal Super Ally was back in the fold at Ibrox.

Sep 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
zenga said:
With Ronaldo on the outs with Madrid, could he be headed to MLS aswell?

There are reports that once Ronaldo's Adidas contract is finished, in 1 years time, that he may head to the MLS. They're also interested in Figo and bringing Zidane out of retirement. A bit like the old NASL days indeed.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
cknw.com said:
Beckham could play exhibition in Vancouver
Jan, 12 2007 - 7:20 AM

CKNW(AM980) - The Vancouver Whitecaps are hoping Bob Lenarduzzi's friendship with LA Galaxy coach Frank Yallop could bring David Beckham to BC.
Lenarduzzi talked previously with Yallop about an exhibition game between the MLS club and the USL's Whitecaps.

But that was before the megabucks deal to bring the soccer superstar to North America.
Lenarduzzi says he expects any exhibition games will now have a substantial fee.
How convenient. :)

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Personally..I'd like to "bend" Victoria....guess Becks will be making a Disney movie soon too....what the hell...he doesn't have enough money to live on does he?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0