Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BC Lions release Antonio Warren

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lions release Antonio Warren

TSN.ca Staff
7/27/2006 5:35:17 PM
The B.C. Lions have released import running back Antonio Warren.
Warren appeared in five games for the Lions in 2006 recording 169 yards on 41 carries and another 169 yards and a touchdown on 17 receptions. But the 30-year-old was benched last week in favour of Joe Smith, who ran for two majors and caught a touchdown pass.
''Antonio is a very talented player and we are grateful for his contributions over the past three seasons,'' said Lions GM and head coach Wally Buono. ''I know this week has been difficult for him and I believe this move is in his best interest and the club's. We wish him the very best for the future,'' added Buono.
This was Warren's third season with the Lions after beginning his CFL career in Calgary in 2001. Over the span of five CFL seasons, Warren appeared in 62 games and racked-up 2,798 rushing yards and 19 TD's on 547 carries and added another 1,426 yards and five touchdowns on 145 receptions. Warren also set a club record rushing for 160 yards on 18 carries in the 2004 Grey Cup.
Well...i guess the ball in in Joe Smith's hands for the rest of the season!!

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yep. Joe gets the ball for now or until he reinjures his shoulder.

Antonio Warren got the shaft despite what he did for the Lions. They gave Smith some run plays that they did not give Warren which is something I found interesting. Not to trash Smith, he played great and we shall see if he can repeat.

I'd not be surprised to Warren end up in Toronto.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Three more touchdowns for Smith vs. Toronto. Looks like they made the right move.

For now.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TheRob said:
Three more touchdowns for Smith vs. Toronto. Looks like they made the right move.

For now.

For sure, the move to Smith can't be questioned on his 6 TDs in two games and good run yardage.

What is bad for Antonio Warren is that his dumping has timed nicely with Buono recognizing that you have to commit to running the ball in both halfs of a game to be effective.

The Lions often didn't give Warren the ball down close to the goal line like they are with Smith and this year by the second half the run game was abandoned.

Joe Smith is a huge guy who can run between the tackles and finds it not too hard to run right over those smaller CFL linebackers who are in the game for pass protection.

This is a new found run game for BC as they too much relied on passing alone thus requiring Dickenson to play perfect. Wally realizes now why they call him the running back or tail back. It was time he woke up to that.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0