Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another Canuck gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Free-agent centre Andrew Cassels could be headed to the Columbus Blue Jackets.

According to reports in the Columbus Dispatch, the former Vancouver Canuck was spotted at a Downtown hotel in Columbus over the weekend. No doubt, he was checking out Nationwide Arena facilities and getting a feel for the housing market as he ponders where he'll play next season.

One NHL source familiar with Cassels' situation said, "I think it's down to three teams and you never know what can happen-but I'd be surprised if (Cassels) didn't pick Columbus."

Blue Jackets president and general manager Doug MacLean has been forthright about his search for a center or a right winger. Last Friday, MacLean said, "We're having discussions with some people here and there; it's not just one or two things. We're looking at free agents or a trade."

MacLean was traveling yesterday and couldn't be reached. However, it seems apparent that Cassels is in the mix of the Jackets' "discussions."
What about Vancouver? I don't think that they have the talent to fill the void he would leave. It's too bad Burke is such a tightwad.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cassels gone?

I think Brian Burke has been hanging out with Stu Jackson or something, eh? WHAT THE HELL IS HE THINKING?
Did you hear that Schaeffer might be coming back????????? Didn't Brian Burke answer someone's question about Schaeffer, and his response was "Schaeffer who?" and now he is heading back here. Man oh Man...what to do, what to do?

brianburkeformarajuanapartypresident...passiton;)

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canucks woes

How bad has it gotten here. If we can't afford Andrew Cassels what kind of team are we going to have here. On the whole the canucks are coming off a good year and are taking steps in the right direction and then Mr. Burke still tries to sell this Addition by subtraction garbage.

Who is he trying to kid?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gone.

(Aug 15) COLUMBUS, OHIO - The Columbus Blue Jackets bolstered their forward corps today as the club reached an agreement with free agent center Andrew Cassels on a multi-year contract, Blue Jackets President and General Manager Doug MacLean announced today. As is club policy, terms were not disclosed.

Cassels, 33, comes to Columbus after spending the past three seasons with the Vancouver Canucks. In 2001-02, he collected 11 goals and 39 assists for 50 points and 22 penalty minutes in 53 games with the club. Despite missing nearly 30 games, he ranked fourth on the club in assists and points and stood third with seven power play goals. In the playoffs, he added 2-1-3 in Vancouver's six-game first round series loss to eventual Stanley Cup champion Detroit.

"While our priority was to revamp the defensive corps, we also wanted to improve our offense," MacLean said. "Cassels gives us a playmaking center who's typically produced nearly a point-a-game in his NHL career. He'll add a nice element to our forwards and we're excited he chose Columbus."

Cassels is a 12-year NHL veteran who has collected 174-452-626 and 340 penalty minutes in 847 games with the Montreal Canadiens, Hartford Whalers, Calgary Flames and Canucks. He has averaged over 14 goals, nearly 38 assists and 52 points during his career. He has scored 20 or more goals three times, collected 40-plus assists on six occasions and surpassed 60 points four times.
I hope he doesn't mind losing. Niel Macrea wrote a pretty good article in the Province this morning regarding the situation. Money talks I suppose.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cassels will now be reunited with his old Whaler linemate Geoff Sanderson. In all honesty this is a good move from Columbus, who are pretty desperate for some offensive punch. They've actually got some decent depth at center with Cassels, Sillinger and Knutsen. I stress the word decent.

The move itself doesn't make much sense for Cassels. If he wanted any part of the playoffs or a potential Stanley Cup run, he isn't going to get it as a Blue Jacket. So this would lead me to believe that he got a pretty fat contract, probably more than Vancouver, Toronto or St. Louis were willing to spend.

With him and Lachance suiting up for Columbus, we could have a fierce Western Conference rivalry brewing between the Nucks and Jacks. Or not.

Therapist

Sep 11, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tighty-wad Burke

I wonder if Burke is being a tight wad becuase the higher-ups in the organization are telling him to, or is it just Burke??
Too bad Cassels is gone, but for some reason I don't see the Canucks being any worse off,...........but of course, no better either.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why do people even wonder about the Canuck's management?

Nothing of note will happen to the Canucks (trades, signings, anything) until after the team is sold.

McCaw is the tightwad and Burke is his monkey. Then again, you don't become a gazillionaire signing lots of cheques.

uancs45

Aug 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Jinky
Nothing of note will happen to the Canucks (trades, signings, anything) until after the team is sold.

I have a small business in germany maybe I can help.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No Free Agents

Jinky is right.

The Canucks aren't going to do other than keep saying we believe in the guys we have and hope like hell they catch fire again and make the playoffs. That is the pattern that they have had to go to in recent years and Burke plays his part in this very well. And let's face it, they have caught fire every few years or more and done a run or two in the playoffs.

I don't know about the sports lottery idea. I can think of more important needs right now than that idea being floated by the Canucks.

Hey Unancs:

Question: How do guys like you and your cousins get a small business?
Answer: Daddy gives you a big one and you simply wait.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Finally, Peter Schaefer is out of this city. He was dealt to the Ottawa senators for D-MAN Sami Salo. I think I heard that the Sens signed Schaefer to a 2 year deal , worth around 500 000- 600 000 with incentives. Brian Burke once said that Peter Schaefer will never play with the canucks "ever" again and he stuck by his word. Salo should be a good fit on the back line because they are the shits and could use all the help they can get.;)

pearsy

Feb 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burke

I'm sick and tired of people ripping into Brian Burke. As far as I'm concerned the man has done an admirable job of creating some stability in the franchise. Something that a lot of teams around the NHL don't have and something that will help in the long run. Build from within, the Canucks have the pieces to go all the way. Perhaps not this year, but if this team sticks together, and Burke continues to keep salaries down while signing key players to lengthy contracts, Vancouver looks good for years to come. Burke knows he's not going to be able to buy a team like Detroit, or New York. So he's doing the next best thing by keeping a young squad together and letting them grow as a team. Other than a few changes last year during the season, the main core has been together for about three years. I think we're looking young but very solid if we're kept together. Burke's the man!

BIG BITCH

Sep 15, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
NOT ENOUGH PROGRESS

Was at the game the other night and watched B.Allen lumber around .Still young but might turn out to be a bad draft pick.Allen is turning out to be another g.m. pet due to his high pick.Josh Holden's name ring a bell.The team actually used to include this guy on their depth at centre chart. HA HA HA!!!! :wa: :wa:

Therapist

Sep 11, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big Bitch

The only thing wrong with the 2nd line is Druken. Be patient. He'll be here, and producing before you know it. I agree with pearsy, Burke, in my opinion, has done a great job. Our hockey team is exciting and realtively cheap.

BIG BITCH

Sep 15, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Therapy needed

Linden would be a decent 3rd liner but no way a 2nd.Your 2nd line rw must get you more than 45pts.Western conference 2nd line rw's should get between 55 to 65.:p :eek:

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Umm, I wouldn't discount the Sedin's just yet from making the move to "second-line" status - especially if Klatt can maintain the form that's given Larscheid wet undies in the preseason. Typically, the third year is the breakout year for offensively gifted forwards. I figure that they will given every opportunity to be on the power play and be in situations that will help them become impact players.

If they do fail to take the next step, then Hlavac, Linden and probably Druken may surprise.

Monkey's prediction: Hlavac will net 55 - 60 points.:eek: No, I'm not drunk. I just think he's highly skilled and motivated after a sub-par year last year.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Monkey's prediction: Hlavac will net 55 - 60 points.

I hope you're right, but I think you'll be wrong. Hlavac is a prime example as to why Czeck players are collectively considered gambles (with the exception of Jagr) in the NHL. Otherwise, Jiri Dopita would have been in the top 10 in scoring last year.

I do agree that the sisters and Klatt are looking like Vancouver's real second line. Apparently, the girls have turned their fitness around 180 degrees.

Druken and Bryan Allen really disappoint me. Here are two kids that were virtually handed jobs as a result of key player departures via free agency, and they both have shat their beds in camp. I have pretty much given up on Allen, but the signing of Bomgartner perhaps makes up for that wasted pick, and it appears Fedor Fedorov is a diamond in the rough too.

Here's hoping, so desperately hoping, for a good year out of the Canucks.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Much of the banter has gone towards normal Canuck chit chat. I've opened a new Canuck thread here. We can post in there from now on.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0