Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Als at the Lions Den - September 17 - 7pm

Who will take the win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can the Lions make it 11 in a row? This will be a tough test?

Anyone planing in getting out the the game this Saturday?

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Argyle said:
Can the Lions make it 11 in a row? This will be a tough test?

Anyone planing in getting out the the game this Saturday?

I'm heading to the game, should be a great one. I'm thinking 40,000 at least for this one on a Saturday night. I can't wait to get my beer and take my seat, thought I don't think I'll be sitting in it much!

Prediction: Lions 35 - 25 Als

~Shaven

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lions to win regardless of QB. I'd still say they'd win if Buck Pierce played the whole game.

Als will revamp their defence to more like the Don Matthews defences of old which has not been evident with Montreal this year. He'll be sending a lot of different guys off the corners in blitz packages and some down the middle.

Dickenson will have to be sharp and forget those intermediate passes if the blitz is on or he will get killed. I can't figure if it is him or Chapdelaine that keeps wanting intermediate passes on the blitz as it is simply not on. They will have to run some screens also to beat the blitz and these have worked pretty well this year when they are running them.

Dickenson actually got hurt when they used their 6 receiver set and he told Antonio Warren to move to the side opposite and that led to the Hamilton guy's big hit that took him out of the game.

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Lions must get Antonio Warren outside the tackles more, and run the odd draw play as well. Chapdelaine seems to be dead set on running up the middle every single running play, and its just not working. Last season, the Lions running game was much more multi-dimensional, and Warren was a much bigger threat AND part of the offence than this season. More off-tackle runs would spread the opposition defence and make the Lions less reliant on the short passing game, thought Dickenson is effective at it. Part of the reason he's taken such a pounding, IMO, is the either reluctance or inability of the Lions to get Warren outside the tackles for the 10-15 yard runs he reeled off last season with ease repeatedly, thus DD is forced to stand back and throw more passes, particularly in second and long situations as Warren is only able to pick up 3-4 yards inside routinely.

Just my thoughts, been pondering this for a while now.

~Shaven

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shaven: you are right on getting Antonio Warren more runs outside the tackles. What Chapdelaine has been doing is to pick plays that beat the blitzes but when the run is clearly on, they know Warren is going inside and that is not as effective as there is no variety.

Warren's stats are pretty good though:
125 carries, 607 yards for a 4.9 aver and the longest gain 50 with 9 TDs (rushing).

His pass reception totals aren't bad either:
40 for 389 and a 9.7 average with the longest 42 yards and 2 TDs.

I think his longest pass was from Buck Pierce in the Hamilton game that he took in from the one for a TD.

They should run the QB draw a time or two and also get Lyle Green a touch on the ball.

If they keep the offence varied with some good play action, screens and QB draws plus get the pocket moving around with some pass protection, they will do fine.

I'd like to see Dickenson open with a long play that stretches their defence and then come back to the short stuff and taking what is there.

They will never move away from the short passing game as that is how Dickenson plays and it is more effective if mixed up with some play action and moving the pocket around. Buck Pierce is similar as he is copying Dickenson and learning his reads from him.

The short and the long game beats the blitz and most teams are blitzing a lot this year. My criticism has been Dickenson's desire to hit intermediate receivers on the blitz in their 6 receiver set with no protection and get hammered rather than let it go short or dump the long one downfield. What I can't figure with him this year is if it is him trying to hit the tough intermediate routes on the blitzes or the offensive coordinator. He gets hit and gets sacked. I'd prefer him to just keep taking the short stuff or take off if he has nothing on - but then again taking off means he could get some big hits. He has no speed as does Pierce.

Why I don't care who of Dickenson or Pierce plays is that both are similar with one with more experience and the other with quicker moves to get out of there if there is nothing on. Pierce plays like few other rookies as he is not afraid to step up in the pocket and make the reads properly. He says he knows they are blitzing him as he is a rookie so he will have to make decisions faster than Dickenson on many occasions.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0