Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ACL Reconstruction - Recovery?

T-Idiot

Sep 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
My Doctor was Ken Hughes out in Richmond ... it's rather funny that he repaired
my Broken Ankle back in 87 as well ..

Ankle and Knee no problems and the only issue i had with the knee was a Infection a week after the surgery .... 7-8 hours in the RGH Emergency in absolute pain

Basically shave the leg
Cryo Cuff
bags of ice
Tyelenol three's .... try to ween yourself off fairly quick ... bloody things constipate
ya bad .... no reason to put yourself in a situation where you feel the need to run to the bathroom
Have no fear of putting a bit of wght on it on the first 2-3 days after the surgery
gives you confidence
DVD's

Just think that by this time next year you'll be on TTP telling the next guy up what to expect
Good luck again

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Totally forgot about T-3s. Yeah, if you take as many as I did after my stints, you pretty much feel like you're giving birth to a full grown cat after one week.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All good advice..........except I would disagree with the shave of the leg...........because I asked about doing that and the nurse, doctor and hospital all said not too......something about if you cut yourself and the risk of infection etc to the surgeon or something like that:rolleyes:

I too had the pain pump...........brilliant stuff. My wife said though when we pulled it out that I looked like a junkie needing a fix a few hours afterwards..........that is how strong of stuff they are injecting into you.

Prepare a few plates of fruit, great to eat nibble on for the first few days that is all good for you.

Be nice to your wife leading up to the date of your surgery........you will need her big time the first couple of days:eek:

As for everyone telling you when they came back............all I can say is that I was back running and trying to train in 6 months or less but really take the year off. I don't care what anyone else says...........the extra time will make sure you are not back in seeing the doctor again anytime soon.

T-Idiot

Sep 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
ALRIGHT ... maybe don't shave the whole leg
I must have been a bit of a Ass to somebody before the surgery
and they took out their revenge .......

here's a tip don't be lippy to the Nurses before the surgery .... I must have said something

serious tip ........elevation and be careful of the quick movement's with the leg
the hamstring area is very tender ... two to three days after the surgery while laying on the couch I dropped the TV Remote and tried to grab it before it the ground and
pulled the hamstring ... to tell you the truth it still hasn't felt right but the knee is great

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First off, thanks to everyone for the advice, it's much appreciated.

My surgeon is Dr. Regan and I understand he has a very good track record. I'll be getting the hamstring graft (not the dead guys' tendon... that would be weird :eek:) His inital estimate was 6 months if I work at it, but he didn't really go into what that work entailed. Who decides when you are ready to go back? Surgeon? Physio? Me?

I have a cryo-cuff ready (thanks for the offer KNVB :)) and a stack of books and a laptop. My wife is a doc so I have reasonably good access to pain meds:D

I do, however, have a couple more questions for the experienced:

How soon will I be able to drive? I have a nice mini-van with an automatic transmission and it's my left knee that's shot so I'd imagine it won't be too long but I also have a 2 and 4 yr old to worry about. Jenn is working some crazy shifts over the long weekend so, although I think we have child care worked out, I may still need to do a little transport.

I've booked a week off work and have a desk job and some flexibility; can I realistically expect to be back in a week?

How soon do I head to physio? A week? a month?

Thank again to all.

jungleboy

Jun 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
How soon will I be able to drive? I have a nice mini-van with an automatic transmission and it's my left knee that's shot so I'd imagine it won't be too long but I also have a 2 and 4 yr old to worry about. Jenn is working some crazy shifts over the long weekend so, although I think we have child care worked out, I may still need to do a little transport.

Kurgan, as long as Muchtar isn't backing out of a parking stall and into your van, you should be safe (I'm still laughing from that night). Griffey can get you FIFA 2009 if you have a PS3, Wii, etc.

4STGMP

Feb 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

I've booked a week off work and have a desk job and some flexibility; can I realistically expect to be back in a week?

How soon do I head to physio? A week? a month?

Thank again to all.

Kurgan:

Driving - wait till the strong med's wear off - you'll be as high as a kite for the first week or so - mine was right knee and I waited 4 weeks

Physio - as soon as possible - physio will want to get the crutches out of your hands right away. As soon as you can weight-bear you're off to the races

Ciao.

jdeezaypmg

Aug 25, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
i had mine in late febuary and am just starting to run with my team..... i hope to be playing games at the 9 month mark

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I did mine in July last year but the doc didn't know what was wrong until I got the MRI in November, so I played sporatically til then:eek:

I've been playing with a brace since march and I don't mind it that much. I think I'm about 85%-90%. I keep delaying the surgery because of the recovery.

Anyone here play with a brace permanantly?

...and thanks to everyone for their advice for Kurgan. It's been helpful.

T-Idiot

Sep 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone here play with a brace permanantly?

I got one even though my Dr stated I didn't need it ....
Probably to give my mind confidence rather then my leg ..

Anyways I snapped a the the inside arm doing a crazy slide tackle on turf and never looked back .... when I did it.. it sounded to the other's like I broke my leg .. i get up and the brace is just hanging their....anyways I bike to work everyday and believe me Kurgan that is your "Brace" ..
Low Impact strength training is everything .. get the brace as it should be covered by most medical plan ..if it's what you need mentally to get yourself back into it ..
but you know what's mental is that fact your listening to us !!!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
but you know what's mental is that fact your listening to us !!!
Kurgan isn't 'listening', in fact, he isn't even getting surgery.

He just wanted to see how many of you gimps there are out there so he can target your knees in tackles this winter.

:D

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kurgan isn't 'listening', in fact, he isn't even getting surgery.

He just wanted to see how many of you gimps there are out there so he can target your knees in tackles this winter.

So. Regs is onto me.;)

I had the most bizzare experience today:eek:

History: Physio said ACL was completely gone. Family Doc said, yep, gone. Sports Med Doc said complete tear. MRI came in, radiologist said complete tear. Orthopedic surgeon looks at MRI and does functional assessment: Tear.

Today: Surgeon goes in cleans up the damaged cartilage wakes me up and says: No need to repair the ACL. It's OK:eek::confused::eek:

Recovery should be 6 weeks at most. I now feel like the boy who cried 'wolf!' On one hand, I'm extremely happy and on the other I feel a strange sense of guilt. I should have been Catholic. Or bought lottery tickets.

Fcuking Bizzare I tell you.

Watch your knees.

:)

PS. Can I edit the thread topic/subheading?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They call me Kreskin.

That is freakin bizarre :eek: Wanna play for BRM this year? We need some good luck.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I will be on the operating table soon too Jay. Complete tear of the left ACL and Medial Miniscus. Or so they say. Hmmmmm....................

Hopefully they will get in there and find it in as "good" of shape as yours.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The clock I think has stopped on my knees :mad:

But this thread was a good re-read, thanks Kurgan :D

CASTROYCHE

Oct 25, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had both knees scoped an torn and partially torn ACL and MCL thoughoput the years in truth i have never fully recovered to what I once was like (4 years ago) double knee surgery. I can say that I have still thankfully been still been able to play and my knees feel strong as there ever going to be. It can be a long road to recovery if you try to get back too fast all the advice I can give is try and keep your weight down as much as possible, stay positive and work your ass off to get your strength back. First at the swimming pool stretching in conjunction with your physio. ACL reconstruction is huge listen to your doctors and what your body is telling you. If pain persists get your doctor to also check for arthitis as well as this is common in long term athletes. Cheers wish you the best hope this helps!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0