Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[2006 Winter Olympics] - Has men's hockey been blown out of proportion?

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sick to death of Olympic Hockey. Or rather, I should say I'm sick to death of that World Championship hockey tournament that happens to be surrounded by other meaningless activities.

Come - on.

On a day when Canada won 4 (four!!) medals in one day, all I heard and saw all day on the radio, television, and the next day in the papers was "how could we have lost?!" "Who's head is going to roll?" "Who's fault was it?" Moan, moan, moan -- bitch, bitch, bitch.

Enough already.

Klassen has won four medals alone. Two of them gold. Chandra Crawford has become Canada's latest sweetheart. Yet, every single one of our local stations spend hours upon hours questioning why Gretzky put together an old-boys club of over-aged has been hockey players.

Get over it. It's done. Finished. We lost. It happens.

Now let's focus on our successes like we should have done from the start and stop acting and reporting like Turin is playing host to a hockey summit.

P.S. Chandra, I'm at 555.0085. Call me. I mean it.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes.

To be honest, NHLers in the Olympics bore me. To me, it was way more exciting when it was our juniors battling it out and we had the Canada Cup to look forward to (not to be confused with the World Cup).

That being said... could a better script be written for 2010 here? Canada is pulling in the medals with a plethora of 4th place finishes and the Men's hockey team did not even win a medal... for the sake of Vancouver, the hockey team coming in as NOT 2-time in a row defending Gold medal winners is a blessing (ugly sentence, I know).

2010 is gonna rock.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Its funny because I was listening to some sports radio and the guys were basicallying saying well olympics are over for me I only care about the hockey. My brother a hockey player was in absolute outrage when the canada germany game was cut short to see the mens figureskate and the canadian capture a bronze. Its the fukcing olympic games not a hockey tournament. A lot of these athletes have to work full time jobs and train in all there spare time. these althetes make huge sacrafices to live there dream. I found the hockey very unemotional and unentertaining. I rather watch Klassen win 4 medals and break canadian olympic history.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not one of those guys that will trade every other medal just for Olympic Gold. Fact is, those other athletes have certainly had a tougher road with far more obstacles to overcome to achieve their success than our pampered hockey players have had. Yes, they've worked hard, but as a hockey player in Canada, you are exposed to arguably the single best system, and the richest system, in the world. It's a fcuking machine. My kid is 6 years old, and he has one practice, one game, and two power skating lessons available to him every week. He can easily outskate me now. The kid looks like he was born with skates on, and he's not yet 7.

These other athletes, for most of their careers, were well under funded, with the exception of perhaps the speed skaters and figure skaters. Only in the last three years have the other sports seen a greater portion of just deserved funding. So, to say I'd trade those medals, for one hockey gold...no way. This will be a tremendous showing at the Olympics, something that we can be proud of, and a monster building block towards 2010.

That said, I had a bad day yesterday. Depressed, and didn't even want to listen to the radio. I WANT men's hockey gold more than anything. Nothing brings us together more than that...the party in the streets this year would have been unreal. I was looking forward to sharing it with my son, so, yeah...it sucks. I'll get over it though.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've watched one hockey game this Olympics and that was the Canada-Russia matchup. Watching a bunch of overpaid, overrated hockey players is boring to say the least. I'd much rather watch the other events at the games. Well, except for curling of course. That is just bowling on ice.

Oh boo hoo, Dude didn't get to have a party with his son. Ya Dude, I'm sure your kid wants to see a bunch of emotionally underdeveloped, redneck hockey fans getting loaded and stupid, running into traffic and streaking down the main drag in Maple Ridge. Woo hoo, par-tay!!!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maple Ridge? Why would I want to party w/ TheRob?

Langley man, Langley is where it is at. I guaranfcukintee I would have tipped over a cow Sunday had we won hockey gold. There's one down the street, you know.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Posted by bulljive but repeated by others
I rather watch Klassen win 4 medals and break canadian olympic history.
She won 5 Don Cherry!

I'm going to actually agree with Regs here and echo his sediments that Vancouver/Whistler 2010 has been set up nicely... Even if the mens hockey team showed less emotion and excitement than a Pitt Meadows picnic with therob wearing a neon fanny pack, I do remember Salt Lake being great hockey with Canada winning GOLD...

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I read it somewhere else, but someone had suggested that instead of sending NHLers, they should send the junior teams. Every four years instead of a WJC, those teams just go to compete at the Olympics. Now that would be a sweet tourney.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd be in favor of that format. It would still be "best on best". The only snag is that we often find our best players in that age group are playing in the show. That said, yeah, it'd be great.

After 2010 though, please. ;)

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Riddle me this: Saku Koivu is voted by all the Olympic athletes as the male representative (along with Beckie Scott as the female) to the IOC. Yet all the NHLers have to leave to get back to their NHL team. I guess Becky managed to book more time off work than he could. :rolleyes:

Get rid of the pros.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0