Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Watered Down NHL

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watered down

The league has 30+ teams now and this makes for some crap hockey at times. Can you imagine and this obviously will never happen as money talks but if they went back to the original six teams? And they took only the elite players to form these teams of course adding tough guys as well to make things interesting. Who would I chear for? Expansion has made the game what it is today. Not alot of talent lets trap boys and maybe pull out a dull 1-0 win. I find myself not watching hockey as much and this may have something to do with it?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Girth,

Agreed. I'm starting to believe that a lockout next season could be one a good thing... teams will fold as a result :D

Cheers,

~Regs.

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I couldn't dissagree more. I think it has become apparent over the past few seasons that the NHL is deeper then it has ever been. 30 teams full of exciting players from all over the world.The scoring is now spread out throughout all 4 lines and defence .Games are high scoring, I'm not sure what league you have been watching. Any team can make the playoffs, just look at what Carolina and Anaheim have done the past two seasons. Dull? There's more hits and rivalries than ever before, The Goons(who now have to be able to play hockey, because the league is so competitive) are bigger and stronger then ever. Hockey has never been more exciting, especially in Vancouver. This is the best team we have ever had, anything less than a conference final would be underachieving.
A 6 team league? Well i think alot of Canadians would be out of the job.

The real problem is that they make too much money. They should implement a standard wage of 500,000. Every player makes the same.You make the NHL , you earn 500,000. Bonuses for achievement could set them above.
Chris Pronger was recently asked; " Would you take a pay cut in order to sign another player to aid in the Blues dreams of a stanley cup coming to a reality?''

without hesitation he said " Nope, no way".

well im drunk and im in need for a laugh. time to go back and check out the dewdney fc website. a joke hasnt made me laugh that hard since i followed girth into the washroom and saw him take a piss....

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ottawa: 3.4
Detroit: 3.17
Colorado: 3.12
Vancouver: 2.88
NYI: 2.84

The above are the top 5 highest scorring teams in the NHL, shown in GPG after 50 games.

Games are high scoring, I'm not sure what league you have been watching.

You're on crack. Either that, or you're TTP, which I wouldn't recognize anyhow.

Cutting the league down to 24 teams, shortening the sched to 65 or 70 games, moving the net back, and implementing a hard cap. That would give the league the best chance at returning to late '80s / early '90s type excitement.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LucVanLierde said:
30 teams full of exciting players from all over the world.The scoring is now spread out throughout all 4 lines and defence .Games are high scoring, I'm not sure what league you have been watching. Dull? There's more hits and rivalries than ever before, The Goons(who now have to be able to play hockey, because the league is so competitive) are bigger and stronger then ever. Hockey has never been more exciting

At least you admit you were drunk when you posted that. I actually hope you are just fishing for responses here because fcuking hell, man. The product the NHL puts out now is the worst it has ever been. I would rather stick a glass rod up my knob and smash it with a hammer than watch most of the hockey games the NHL puts on. I will resist the temptation to refute your unholy statements one by one and simply say that if you truly believe hockey has never been more exciting than you were either asleep or not alive during the '80s or any time previous.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would rather stick a glass rod up my knob and smash it with a hammer than watch most of the hockey games the NHL puts on.

Yeah, but you say that all the time.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How about this then. I would rather wear a sheep costume and walk on all fours into a Scottish prison for inmates serving life sentences than view an Anaheim-Minnesota NHL game.

I

iandmcintyre

I agree that the NHL has too many teams! I'm amazed that the Washington Capitals are still a team - will they ever make the Stanley Cup Finals again? Years ago I could keep track of all the teams in the league - now, forget it.

One of the best players to ever play the game was Bobby Orr, in the late 70s. If Orr had had enforcers playing with him, maybe he would have had a long career like Gretzsky. Unfortunately, today's stars are so busy fighting injuries due to dirty stick-handling that they don't perform the way they used to.

And then there's the high salary issues! Vancouver Canucks would have fared much better during Pavel Bure's last year if Bure hadn't had been out to play for his 50-goal bonus instead of playing for the team. High salaries ruin team play. Now, the star's selfish playing to fill their own pockets has got even worse. If a team owner does not sign $million+ players, and enforcers to protect them, no one comes to see his team play and he goes into bankruptcy - then somewhere like Nashville, Tenn gets a team - does anyone in Nashville know what hockey is?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0